7950 update

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Ragingun, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Will be running some benches finally tonight!!! Been battling random issues lately with an RMA and then my old OS. Well, now I've got W8 up and running!!! Did about 20 minutes of FC3 this afternoon. It ran better in DX11 than DX9 even with AA. At 1200 res I'm getting 40ish FPS.

One thing I noticed with my card is that when I OC it the OC setting acts as the boost setting and it still drops down to 850mhz and then will jump up to what I have it OC'd at like 1000mhz for example. Not sure if this is common or not. I've heard that most AMD cards just hold the OC at that set clock. It OC's awesome though. The stock voltage is set at 1.25 and I've had the memory at 1400 and the core at 1025 and didn't miss a beat. I'll stress it a bit tonight with some actual benches to see what I can really do.

Edit: forgot to mention something important. Even at the 1025 OC the temp was never more than 53 with 40% fan.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you should be able to go higher than 1025 @1.25 quite easily. post back with results :)

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, 1.25v - 1100-1200MHz at least. GTX670/680 zone. ;) :evil: :D

4. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    OK boys. Got some benches run. Hit 25,000 on Vantage. FC2 ran at 90 FPS. I'm able to OC to 1150 core and 5.5GHz on the memory. ( at 5.6 as mentioned in the first post it ended up not quite stable running under stress) Nonetheless its a decent OC and I haven't adjusted voltage beyond the stock voltage yet either. Even with that OC in Heaven it stayed at 49°!!! Very impressed. I'll be running 3dmark11 tonight and post that as well. To a certain degree I'm sure I could squeeze another 5% or so with a platform upgrade.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    49C under load in heaven seems low. what are you monitoring your temps withm also are you sure your oc is working? temps should be higher.

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Indeed, 49C seems kinda wtf. :D

Anyways, dude, that's an awesome oc! 1150 on the core, that's about the same as a STOCK GTX 680/OCed GTX 670, so congrats man. It will yield some good fps for you. :)

Yeah, do run some 3dmark11 and 3dmark13 and tell us how it goes. :D

7. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Using afterburner. Monitoring in benches and will pull up sapphires Trixx directly after benching and the card is already at 41°.

I'll take a screen shot tonight. I ran 2 loops of heaven in a row and it topped at 49° showing in both afterburner and the heaven display.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    when you say monitoring in benches, do you have osd running and you see your overclocked speeds? and the temp stays at 49C max? that's really low. check with gpu-z as well, leave Heaven on for at least 2 loops, then check max temp. if it only ever hits 49C then it's a miracle. :)

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Why don't you stress GPU with OCCT? It may yield better results :)
    Don't forget to turn off FPS limit and vsync in CCC/PadeonPro.

10. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I edited my other post, that was after 2 loops.

11. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I have Vsync off I will check on FPS limit. Radeon pro will not run on W8. Tried to install yesterday and it wouldn't open.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How much is your GPU usage in Heaven? What are the VRM temps on your max OCed settings? VRM temps are crucial to monitor.

As Fox2322 said, OCCT is recommended for stress testing. That's not to say you shouldn't test with other benches and games, BUT...OCCT will pick up 99% of errors much faster than anything generally.

13. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'll watch the usage percent closer tonight. Does Guru have a download for OCCt?

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Damn man just do a few runs in 3dmark11 and 3dmark2013 and you're good to go! No need to download all these fluffy programs to test stability.

Just set some values and you're good to go. :D Keep Msi AB running ofc to check the temps after the runs. ;)

15. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    OK. Thanks. What should AB be using for CPU? My AB is using 26% sitting on desktop. This a lot of power being absorbed.

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What do you mean what should it be using? It shouldn't be that much.

It takes only 0-1% for me? o_O

17. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Ya, percent usage. As soon as I open up AB and open the task manager it shows 26% usage of the CPU. Not cool.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have 9% cpu usage right now, with MSIA open, running a youtube video and 3 chrome windows open.

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Woot, that's kinda weird man. I mean if you look at the MSIAB.exe process, how much CPU does it take there? What does it say. But anyways managed to run any 3dmark yet Raging?

20. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Nope. Working. Someones gotta run this store! I'll be home in a couple hours! No wife tonight either so I'm free to run benches all night!!!