Question about 12v rails and which PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by StealBalls, May 22, 2013.

1. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Hi,

I am wondering which would be better for a setup like mine.

I like to overclock, allot, as much as possible, GPU's and CPU's

My question is, because I do not at all understand this single/multi 12v rail lark and apparently the 12v rail is very much one of if not the most important factor in choosing enough power for yoru PC - do you think it is better to have one large, for example, 72A 12v rail, like on the Corsair AX860i or QUAD RAIL like the Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W seen here http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1000...gold-94-eff-eps-12v-1-x-139mm-fan-atx-v23-psu

I mean if you were given the choice, what would you choose? if money was not the issue between them, and this is with my system in mind.

Well actually lets break it down - for my system.

Corsair AX860i
    Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W
    Seasonic 1000w '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply

What would you feel good with of these and WHY

Cheers.

EDIT - Leaning towards the Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W being absolutely solid for my needs, the Seasonic is more expensive however that does not factor into my decision, what is factoring into my decision is that choosing the Seasonic instead of the Enermax it seems will yield ZERO effective difference in results for my system, I will from what I am reading, get the exact same results and stability from the Enermax despite on paper the Seasonic being slightly better, arguably.

Stability, overclocking, and enough Juice...

http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=1&lv1=58&no=190

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Be careful of some of the answers given, it's like asking which is better, AMD or Nvidia. In another thread recently, someone claimed that the Enermax Platimax (their top of the range line) is a few levels below the Seasonic Platinums, that simply isn't true.

If you look into the whole one vs multiple rail argument objectively, you will find it makes no difference in real world application for a good quality PSU. I highlight 'good' because that is the important distinction for this argument. In some ways multi-rail PSU's can also be advantageous, which is why not all good PSU's are single-rail, so it depends on how you look at it.

Now, on paper the Seasonic Platinum may be better but it costs more, so there is no suprise there. You could also go for a Enermax Platimax and the whole 'Seasonic Platinum' is better, despite costing more, argument goes down the drain :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  3. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    I assume you are referring to me?

Like stated in previous thread, Seasonic Platinum IS better AND cheaper than Enermax Platimax. It's also well worth those 15 pounds over Revolution 87+, in case you want a top-notch PSU.

Platimax and Revolution 87+ are by any means not bad. They are very solid PSUs, but simply should cost less to fit their performance range.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Enermax/EPM850EWT/5.html
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/AX860/5.html

4. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I will only give you an answer regarding to the 12v rail when choosing a psu it is always best to go with a single rail psu with the highest amps pssible for a system like yours so when your graphics cards and basically everything you have connected to your pc request power they can draw it all from the single rail with the maximum wattage amps your psu is capable of.If you have lets say a 2 rail 12v psu with 30 amps each rail you will have to evenly connect your gpus,hard drives etc. to a different rail each (this is just an example) lets say both gpus need 60 amps to run and you connect them both to one 12v rail output from your psu then you will overload the rail and it won't be able to give the power/amps requested by the gpus.
    Having a single rail psu gives you the benefit to connect everything directly to your psu without having to worry about splitting up your gpu's and everything in your system to a different 12v rail.

EDIT: I just saw the specs of the Seasonic 1000w '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply and it is a single rail psu with 83 amps plus a 7 year warranty
    i believe this would be an excellent choice..:)

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Whether single or multi-rail is better....depends on the actual design of the PSU. You can't simply look at a couple power supplies and determine which is better based on being single or multi rail.

6. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
  7. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Many thanks gentlemen

8. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    :/ Sorry if i gave this impression.

I am choosing very carefully specially when spending near £200 on a PSU, even more so when I ALREADY have an excellent PSU.

I found two PSU's both with excellent reviews from jonnyguru, the revelation 87+ and the Seasonic Platinum.

Both seem to be excellent PSU's with a great reputation (enermax & seasonic) however my question was as they are both pretty similar in price, I was unsure about the whole, quad rail enermax vs single rail seasonic.

That's all.

I have the AX860i atm but with TItan SLI and heavy overclocking on both GPU and CPU ANNNND plans to upgrade in the future, I want some headroom, so a QUALITY 1000W I decided to invest in.

Making the right choice for me is important so, a post on guru forums was required.

Last edited: May 23, 2013