Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Same key, mate and already in use. Thank you very much for the effort. ;) Does not matter though. Guess i'll fork out 10 euro's after the 31st.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Over the last few days, I've played with several antivirus apps in Windows8. Biggest mistake was installing Comodo.... It decided to sandbox several system files and drivers with no notification what so ever. The result was BSOD after BSOD.... Oh well, list of antivirus apps below...issues noted where experienced.....your experience may vary. This was done as a result of my own boredom and my Avast subscription expiring.

Comodo Antivirus (BSOD)
    Comodo Internet Security (BSOD)
    Norton Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Norton Internet Security
    BitDefender Free (Requires removal of Malwarebyte's)
    BitDefender Windows8 Security (too many false positives)
    Avast Antivirus Pro
    Avast Antivirus Free (BSOD)
    Panda Cloud Antivirus Free
    Panda Cloud Cleaner (Few false positives from Creative drivers, eVGA Precision and FAH)
    McAfee SiteAdvisor (still nearly useless)
    Microsoft Windows Defender

Still going for....
    McAfee Antivirus Plus
    Panda Antivirus Pro

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    You use Antivirus 0_o

I have never actually used one before, I have always considered it bloatware.

The only time I recall having virus was back in Windows 2000 and XP days.

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

How would you know you have a virus, trojan, keylogger, or any other kind of nasty if you don't have an antivirus? Just a day or so ago it was pointed out in this thread http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373796 that you don't have to visit dodgy websites to risk being infected. Actually, you can become infected merely by an infected site knowing your IP address and sending you bad packets.

Remember that websites these days are NOT self-contained. When you open a website you are actually downloading info from potentially several websites (the website you are visiting, the websites that host the ads, websites that host pics, and the websites that host the pics having their own ads etc...). You really only need to come across a site that links you to malware once to cause a crapload of headaches and lost credit details etc.

In terms of antiviruses:
    Avast - is known to cause BSODS, but has improved in the latest update. Still potentially causes the odd BSOD relating to something Microsoft did with their networking files. This error was actually introduced in one of the big updates that was released when Windows 8 first came out. Expected to be fully resolved with Avast 8 which they are heavily working on.

Avira - I'm not sure whether this officially supports Windows 8 yet or not, it didn't a month or so ago. The latest beta test version does fully support Windows 8, and doesn't cause BSODS. This is what I am currently using (Avira free beta, currently program version 13.0.0.3021). If you want the beta you can simply join the beta test programme.

The main issue with Windows 8 is the lack of UI choice, and it is only because they want to promote the Windows store. The new Windows pricing probably reflects the case that the Windows store is less successful than they anticipated, meaning less profits through the store so they are going back to making the majority of the money in the sale. It is the ONLY reason why it was such a cheap upgrade. Microsoft aren't going to do you any favours through the kindest of their hearts, it's profit driven! They are just hoping people are gullible enough to fall for their marketing. Windows 8 isn't the cleanest UI around, it could have been far better. No excuse for the Windows 95 style icons with the solid green backgrounds. No excuse for the absolute boring flat white interfaces and solid colours other than to encourage people to use Metro Apps etc. I bet you Apple users are laughing at gullible pro-Windows people at the moment, since Apple does believe an attractive UI that's well trimmed is very important.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Can't seem to get my TV to be detected over HDMI anymore... but i'm guessing that's probably more my HDMI cable and not Windows 8....

6. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    anti virus programs, bah!

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I find that bitdefender works good for me. and there on top of the charts right now. and less resource hog when file browsing. I was using windows 8 builtin antivirus and when browsing files. cpu usage are sky rocketing. and files took longer to show.

and they got the free antivirus now. which I installed on my dad lappy and wow it very basic. no options really. just on and off.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    As long as you don't mind it branding perfectly harmless files as "virus"....it's fine. My issue is that it declared perfectly harmless cookies as "virus" and then removed the cookies without any interaction. False positives that are "cleaned" without user interaction can be as disasterous, or more so, than an actual infection.... Fortunately, they were login cookies used for multi-layer authentication....

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    How was that trick that u able to enter os without password screen after a restart please?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I use a blank password... unless your computer is shared by multiple users, there's no real need for a password.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hmm. But I'm using online account. So I think it must be ON. Or not? Confused big time.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're using a Microsoft account, you'll have to type your password each time if it doesn't give you an option to store it.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
  14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks for sharing! I had the exact same problem :D

I really like Win8 so far on my gaming machine. Tried it out for its advanced audio features and I even like the new UI and built-in features.
    Bought a second license for my laptop but haven't installed anything yet. More backups needed and I wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything.
    The built-in apps are great but apart from their easy initial setup they don't really want to be changed in any way, right?
    As I only have an older Office license I'm not sure it will integrate very well.

15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    you are welcome.

and iam in such regret. i bought a LENOVO YOGA 11" Tablet-Laptop which came with Windows RT, but didnt know RT doesnt run EXE files at all which wont run any windows application, program or game. only Windows STORE..

well, i use it surfing, email, productivity.no gaming. but at least i wanted to use media player classic, winamp, itunes, and anti virus.

but interestingly yet again default os videoplayer can run FLV files. and as i read RT doenst affected by viruses..interesting..

i strongly recommend that device. can run for hours on battery without an issue.

16. ibitato

ibitato Guest

for Win32/64 I have a Acer Iconia Tablet W700
    awesome tablet
    also, acer iconia W510 is Win8/32bits and runs smooth
    both windows 8

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    RT models?

This YOGA 11" runs RT and TEGRA 3 quad core CPU but unbelievable speedy :)

18. ibitato

ibitato Guest

w700 is an i3 ,4GB RAM windows 8 64bit
    w510 is the new atom , 2GB Ram, WINDOWS 8 32bit

no RT, pure plain x86/x64 architecture

you'd love the w700

fully compatible exe tablets

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hmm..what about sizes and weight?

byt the way how do i get activex support on Windows 8 RT ie?

20. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.