Sony VAIO Laptop not using AMD drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Apathy_0, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Apathy_0

Apathy_0 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7600 Series
    I recently bought this new laptop with these AMD drivers however it does not want to switch to the actual AMD drivers upon Config switchable graphics so it continues to use Intel

- Model:SVE14A27CXH

AMD Radeon HD 7670M hybrid

Please help me I really wanna play using this decent card =/ It's so frustrating.

Thank you

ATI Cataclyst refuses to apply itself from the actual site saying It's not compatible so Is there anyway out of this or am I stuck?

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sony asked AMD not to provide support for their notebooks. You can use modified drivers or add your GPU into inf of drivers, but switchable solutions may have problems if Sony used something extra or out of standard specifications.

Sorry to tell you, Sony releases drivers only rarely and drops support for notebooks pretty fast to force people to get new models.

My advice is, if it does not work out of box with original Sony drivers, return it and get something what works.

3. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    Yep sounds like typical Sony support to me LOL

4. Apathy_0

Apathy_0 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7600 Series
    Arg what was the point of adding AMD cards THAT DON'T WORK on the computer n.n

Is it possible if you can find the drivers for me? The only time I've ever been doing the driver thing was the ati catalyst and obviously that doesn't work.

PS I really appreciate this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Since it's Windows 8 netbook, it's not so easy to force driver on them.
    Here is official Sony driver page: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

Weird enough some drivers marked as "UPDATE" have older date than drivers marked as "Original".

If you can't return device I would make sure you have all updated versions of drivers and software.
    If that does not work I would go for "Original" versions of software.
    And if even that fails I would use restore partition to get default system state.

To test it you can use two instances of GPU-Z, first for intel and second for AMD chip. Go to sensor tab and start game. If it shows utilization on intel only it's still broken.

Now there may be catch... As Virtu for desktops, notebook may use similar application to detect games and activate/switch to dedicated GPU. In some cases it does not detect game. This application may be able to set AMD chip as primary somewhere in settings.

On driver page there are 2 packages for Graphics. Both are version 8.982.6.0.
    1st is 473MB and update is 398MB. I think that it may be necessary to install whole original package and without uninstalling "update" with second package.
    As size difference is too big for exactly same driver version and Sony may have removed some crucial part of package.

Last resort may be disabling intel chip to force AMD as only dog in the house. It will probably increase power consumption a bit. And it may cause netbook to start without GPU = Black Screen upon boot even while sound is working. Be ready to restore system state or whole system drive from backup partition.

Do not trust that device too much. Before you start you may do your own backup of system partition to USB/DVD to be on safe side.

6. Apathy_0

Apathy_0 Guest

GPU:
    ATI 7600 Series
    So you want me to grab the original drivers from that page?