Going to build a new computer need advice

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by tsukasa80, Feb 8, 2014.

1. tsukasa80

tsukasa80 Guest

GPU:
    Amd 7790 Oc'd
    I'm going from a lga1156 which I wish I had never purchased. I used to stick with AMD, thought I'd try my hand at intel, the prices, sockets, and performance ratios were too confusing. So anyway all that aside, I'm building it for gaming. I'm happy with the rest of the hardware I have and would probably transfer it over. SSD HDD Sound Card Video Card are all good enough for my needs. So I need help with motherboard and processor options. I'm on a budget but if I buy one part at a time, not too strict. What socket, should I go with? Cpu? Also how many cores should I have (realistically) to play games and be happy? Or should I just stick with what I have for now? ** broke my own rule ** Din't mention what my budget was. I'd like to spend around 75-150 for cpu, likewise or less for motherboard.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. BraveSoul

BraveSoul Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX970 AMP Extrm
    quad core afcors, i have i5 2500k lga1155 @4.2ghz for 3 years now and it is amazing for gaming and everything else, amd is definitely a good choice if u r on a budget i had great experience with them, do ur research on benchmarks prices cost/performance

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If going with AMD, on such a budget for CPU. The FX-6300 or FX-6350. An AMD quad core on the AM3+ socket would be pointless since they're not really any cheaper...but are a bit slower.

As for the motherboard, such a tight budget could be problematic as the better boards exceed $150.

These are the best AMD motherboards I'm seeing in the $150 price range...
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

I'd opt for the Asus board myself.

If you want to go quad-core to save some money and don't plan to upgrade again for a while.... The Athlon X4 760

For motherboard...
    ASUS A88X-PLUS
    MSI A88X-G45 GAMING (buy a network adapter if you choose this board as the "Killer NIC" sucks)
    ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+

I would recommend the FX-6300 or FX-6350.....but those are all the best options for your budget. In either case, I'd opt for Asus boards.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Socket 1150...nuff said....

5. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Not really much of an upgrade if you go AMD on a budget.

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Agreed. I dont think switching to AMD from what you have would benefit you. It would only be worth it if you went intel skt 1150, otherwise stick with what you have. I've had my 2600k for just over 3 years now and its still going great and competes nicely with Haswell. CPU's just dont move on in performance like they used too!

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Get urself a am3+ motherboard....asus 990fx evo can be had for 150, a fx 8320 was just on sale at micro center the last few weeks for $99 dollars, thats a steal for an 8 core cpu. But nothing will affect your gaming performance more then a gpu upgrade or aka videocard. Dont know much about your current setup but the 8320 is a monster

8. tsukasa80

tsukasa80 Guest

GPU:
    Amd 7790 Oc'd
    Thanks all! Have been away for awhile. Much appreciated, sorry I didn't get back sooner. Also sorry to waste your time, although someone else may find it useful. (I hope) I have decided to stick with what I have until it ages a bit more.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

Skylake, the successor of Broadwell, would be a good upgrade if you can hold out that long.... Only a 1.5 to 2 year wait.

10. gamerfragger

gamerfragger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    If it were me I'd squeeze the 8320 in there... find it for a good price

11. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    i can vouch for the AMD FX6core 6300 Black Edition,

@4.3Ghz it eats through any game i have thrown at it and have installed the most cpu intensive games i have e.g. gta4, ac4 and well any multi-threaded games really

its not the coolest but even @4.3Ghz it only needs 1.4v so with good cooling you can easily reach 5Ghz no problem, max voltage is 1.55v,

with my ram too i get better scores on aida64 tests than the i5 650 HT and even better memory performance than the i7 990x, sure single threaded performance is slower but not noticeable in real world usage

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  12. Damage_Plan

Damage_Plan Guest

GPU:
    Glalaxy GTX660 Ti GC 3GB

you sir have my old setup pretty much ( i had an FX6300 and the M5A97 R2.0- only my mobo was the LE version) I miss my FX 6300... it was beast! definitely a hell of a lot better for gaming than my A10 6800K i have now...

to the OP:

If your gonna go amd on a budget, get the FX 8xxxx Processor OR get an FX6300 (the FX6300 is a strong Price vs Performance contender) The only reason my FX6300 is no longer with me, is that i had a serious Watercooler leak while i was out one day and my system decided to keep running even tho it was overheating. when it was running, it killed pretty much EVERY game with my 660 Ti... one small problem tho, i had a problem with Core Parking under w7 in my early ownership of my FX6300.. was was fixed in a few minutes!

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  13. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    i have sorted the core parking problem in both windows 7 and windows 8.1 now the system and most importantly games are fluid

also windows 8.1 had quite a big lag problem when i had my q6600 now it is nice snappy

still not as good as windows 7 though lol