Windows 8 pricing Increased per February 1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2013.

1. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    So basically people are hating on windows 8 just because of the start screen, cause honestly i can't think of anything else.
    Not liking the start menu (call it Metro) aside, which i can understand, windows 8 is just a better windows 7.

- faster boot.
    - native usb 3.0 support
    - native .iso support (no more daemon tools)
    - better task manager
    - better windows explorer, a lot better and customizable if you ask me...
    - the sync option with a microsoft account to sync your own personalized settings is great
    - the search it's way better displayed and organized
    - repair functions
    - less resources hungry (personally i see less ram usage).

I don't understand the hate, it's just a freaking menu, which you can skip with a registry tweak.
    Not to mention, that clicking the left low corner is faster than clicking on the start button (if you don't like to press the windows button instead), cause you don't even need to look at it. The start menu pops out instantly.
    I hate the Metro crap too, but it doesn't bother my desktop experience at all.
    If you're a Vista user, or even worse a XP one, windows 8 is a must for that price.
    By the way, with the upgrade you can also do a clean install.

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Wow. And you know, I almost would have considered it if I ever bought a SSD and did a fresh install.

No way am I ever paying 200 with talks of "Windows Blue" coming out one day. And this just shows they have no plans whatsoever for future versions of Windows being low price upgrades. Enjoy your 100 some dollars a year to keep it fresh with Microsoft.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sidebarring here; just because someone has an opinion does not mean it can be taken as fact, or is generally correct.

And that's not my opinion, that's just the truth.

OT: Increasing the price of an operating system to normal levels is not criminal, regardless of the market response.

If you buy a new computer today, Windows 8 is going to on it and the manufacturer would have paid an OEM price for it.

If you already have a computer, you already have an operating system.

Either way; the effect on the majority is nothing.

4. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Well, I bought a copy when it was on sale at the egg for $30 a while back. I mostly wanted it so that I could wring some more life out of a decade old XP license I have in the drawer. I have yet to install it, but I'm sure glad I didn't wait to make my purchase. :/

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    rofl more reason for me to stay away.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That will endear people towards a prototype sold as a finished product :D

7. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I never professed my opinion as the truth or fact.

Increasing the price is up to MS. It certainly made quite a few here buy more copies by the looks of things. So well done to MS for that.

Every time I buy a new PC the only operating system on it is the one I want.

Agree with your final point.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    LOLOLOL CELL PHONE OS AMIRITE EVERYONE?! TABLET TABLET RABBLE RABBLE.

Hilbert, can you source that "poor adoption" comment in your title? Everything I've seen shows Windows 8 somewhere around or slightly behind Windows 7.

The % of computers running is not a valid comparison, unless you also have the total number of computers in each case.

I don't really know that 40 million copies in a month is bad.

9. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    no men, u are wrong. if u actully use the OS for moer than 2 minute u will see that u ar wrong :bang:

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yeah it's totally TABLET PC. Jelly Belly 4.1... or sumtin'

PROOF:

[​IMG]

11. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    That's the most dumb, idiotic "proof" i've ever seen.
    Do you even know what is the purpose of that "Tablet PC"?
    There's no emoticon that can explain what face i'm making now....
    And judging from your writing, i hope you're 16 or "sumtin'"

By the way this is also present on windows 7... just saying, but since you're clearly a troll, i will just put my hand on my face and feel bad for you.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  12. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    So the key I got from my university yesterday can be sold for $100+ on ebay? :D

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    That would be in direct violation of the MSDNAA license and your school and Microsoft can/may terminate your access to any Microsoft licenses by doing so.

deltatux

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And if you rely heavily on Bluetooth...it's really not worth the $40USD.... I can't get any of my Bluetooth adapters to work.

That "tablet PC" section has existed in Windows since the mid-90s....

15. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    So this MS person states "seeing good momentum" and that somehow gets turned into "poor adoption rate"?.
    --
    Here's the actual article for people who just read the Guru3d bit.
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/...e/2013/01/18/update-on-windows-8-pricing.aspx

16. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Depending upon user preference there's no way to set up W8 in such a way as to be human-usable, ie. as I have my W7 setup.

If you happen to prefer nested menus and hierarchies over randomly colored squares, or heaven forbid - find text more readable than graphics, you won't be satisfied with W8.

Add to that your listed upsides being entirely irrelevant for my own use and there's a distinct lack of incentive to "upgrade".

I don't understand the people that don't understand the hate, as its obvious you don't use your computers in a remotely similar way to those that dislike W8.

In fact I understand defending W8 even less, unless you have a personal stake in the OS there seems to be no reason to do so. People raging about things they dislike is business as usual, people defending stuff they have no obvious relation to is just weird though. Or astroturfing.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That sounds a lot like the "My opinion is right and your opinion is wrong, because I said so" stance right there....

The UI is purely a matter of taste. If you can't comprehend that, you shouldn't be involved in such discussions.

Personally, nested menus just piss me off.....

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's why it looked faintly familiar :bang:

I suppose...

which then BTW makes you either weirdo, or a guy having stake in Windows 7 :D

19. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I don't care about the colored squares and the "nested" menus can be personalized and i don't even use the metro crap, actually on every reboot it goes straight to the desktop. The most program that i use are pinned on my taskbar, so i don't even need a start button or crappy metro start menu. The few others which i rarely use, are pinned to the start menu which i even more rarely access.
    So, other than that, Windows 8 is superior in every way to Windows 7 and this is a fact if we talk about features and not personal taste.
    Just my opinion..and the hate - i understand it, cause actually it is like the XP hate, the Vista hate and even the 7 hate in the beginning.
    Remember that XP hate? It was huuuuuge, all that colored stuff....tooo much.
    Then Vista came and more colored stuff, what a crap and all those driver issues (personally never had one...).
    Now there's 8 and people are still talking about colors. Next thing we know, in few years, windows 8 would be classic, like a Tupac album :D

I forgot 7, i don't remember what exactly was the hate, but i remember the hate. I think it was the "too soon a new os, i already paid for Vista" or something....people swearing they would never upgrade....

20. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    The general issue for a lot people was Windows 7 was/is basically Vista SP3 but made to look slightly different (even some reviews stated it back then). It was released as Windows 7 because Vista had gotten a bad rep due to how it was released, and because it never recovered despite getting loads better via better driver support and updates (Vista SP2 is a fantastic OS) it was easier to just rename it Windows 7, add a few things here and there and just start over without the bad rep.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013