MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibitato

ibitato Guest

On my Tri Fire setup

4870X2 -> shows option of voltage change

4870 1GB ->option disabled.

Since both card uses Voltera VT1165 VRM, and the X2 card volts option it's showing, why it's the 4870 1 GB option disabled ????

the saphire 4870 1 GB not showing the option it's a sapphire reference (old) 4870 1 GB

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Ii'd like to see result of running the following on that system:

MSIAfterburner.exe /i2cd,70

Each voltage control capable display adapter supported by Afterburner must have an entry in Afterburner's database, definig VRM type, default VRM voltage and VRM configuration. I'm not sure if those old 1GB 4870 have the same IDs as modern serial 4870. So if the IDs are different, we'll problably need to add these cards to database too.
    Anyway, the report captured with command line switch mentioned above will show it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  3. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I am at the office right now.

I'll post back with the command output in 6 hours.

Gotta see the kids first after job :)

Thanks for your support.

4. DogRatCat

DogRatCat New Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 285
    Detach always on top?

Any idea when there will be a fix to Detach monitoring window to not be forced Always on top? As mentioned first in page 3 of this thread I notice, but never acknowledged...

Thanks! I really like the fan controls!

5. Unwinder

Since when requesting a new feature is a "fix" ? Never. That's by design, you've to live with that.

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    ibitato that pcb is not reference.

reference is red.

or maybe i'm thinking of something else here.

7. DogRatCat

DogRatCat New Member

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 285
    Sorry for using the word Fix, and you are absolutely correct as in It Isn't Broken! I thought this thread was appropriate for "suggestions", and I felt that forcing a window to be on top without an option to toggle it was a "bug", but again that is just in my own opinion.

Please consider adding this as a new feature to the next release. I like everything else about the entire MSI Afterburner except for this one thing, so I just couldn't help asking about it... I've already replaced RivaTuner and EVGA Precision with MSI on all of my computers, and told or helped many friends to do the same. I can't praise MSI Afterburner enough, and I want to make sure you know how much my friends and I appreciate it and the work you've done. It's easy for a bug report thread to seem like an endless list of complaints!

8. Unwinder

OK, it is a part of v1.2.0 changes list now.

- Added NVIDIA G 210, GT 220 and GT 240 series graphics cards support
    - Fixed on-board memory size detection for AMD RADEON HD 5000 series graphics cards
    - Now <Synchronize settings for similar graphics processors> option also affects voltage control
    - Fixed database entry for AMD RADEON HD 4890 series graphics cards. Afterburner no longer adjusts 2D voltage instead of 3D voltage on AMD RADEON HD 4890 cards
    - Automatic profiles manager is now restarted after resuming from suspended mode
    - Revised VRM access synchronization protocol for safer simultaneous VRM polling by multiple software products at the same time
    - Added <Always on top> setting to the context menu of detached hardware monitor window. When this option is disabled, hardware monitor window can be minimized to the taskbar staying in detached mode
    - Added readme file and option to display it in the installer
    - Updated context help files

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Below listed the dump

10. ibitato

ibitato Guest

um, mayde tou're rght :)

anyways, ^^ the dump

11. Unwinder

Thanks. The ID is the same, unfortunately there is just no VT1165 visible on your 4870 I2C bus (VEN_1002&DEV_9440&SUBSYS_0851174B&REV_00&BUS_1&DEV _0&FN_0 in the dump). I'd say that it is non-reference design too.

12. ibitato

ibitato Guest

thanks for your time.
    I guess I'm stuck with no volt mod for that card.
    Previosly to this tool I only played with voltage on my X2; the std alone 4870 was a later addition to my rig.

No problem, great job, BTW.

13. Unwinder

Any ASUS 275/285 Matrix owners in this forum? We could probably try to add those cards to voltage controlable cards database.

14. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unwinder mate i have a recommendation.

with the updates and fixes you have so far could you add to the next update
    longer monitoring times

5000ms isnt long enough imho some games i play the monitoring software is causeing hitching like a microstuttering effect.

even longer monitoring should solve this problem i hope.
    cause without the program running in the background the stuttering/microstutter is completely gone.

or is there a way to add fan profiles and clock settings so that when you change them you can shut the program down and the setting still still stick

the clocks and memory stick but im not sure about the fan profiles or voltages.

i know your doing your best and i thank you for it cause your program rocks.
    it just needs little niggles ironed out...

ta.

15. Unwinder

Deactivating unnecessary graphs (and this way reducing amount of job AMD driver is performing on each monitoring iteration) is more correct way.

Voltages will stick, fan profiles won't because user defined fan speed curve is software based.

16. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    thanks for the info but about this issue, what monitoring do you advise i disable for complete smoothness.

possibly add this to your readme information in the program on userguide ect
    becuse i have tryed disableing everything and the microstuttering is still there
    so something is clearly is doing it with the software when running in the background.

thats why if you extended them all to infinate selection then the user isnt forced to just use 5000ms as the max

17. Unwinder

I'd leave just temperatures and try to disable the rest graphs. You do understand taht we're talkina about completely removing graphs from monitoring window, not just about disabling OSD display, don't you?

Sorry, but no. First, these are basics of using any monitoring software. Second, there are simply no unified recommendations,d amount of CPU time required to get data for the same graph (core temperature for example) DRASTICALLY differs depending on GPU thermal sensor type.

18. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    think it will be possible to volt control older cards(geforce 8,9 series)
    sry if posted alrdy

19. Unwinder

20. XLR8

XLR8 Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB
    L6788A preliminary support not coming in v1.2.0 ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.