AMD A10 5800K Trinity APU preview - Guru3D.com

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this preview we talk about what AMD is about to release with the AMD A10 5800K APU processor. Based on Trinity APU architecture and building on the strengths of both the Llano and Bulldozer design,...

AMD A10 5800K Trinity APU preview

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

One of the pages is incorrectly labelled:
    The A75 chipset - Socket FM2 - APU SKU overview
    :)

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah I noticed that, already fixed ;)

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thank you for this preview.

Unfortunately, it appears my 3.5-year old i7 920 offers more muscle, which is somehow disappointing. AMD really has to do something or just focus on slower CPUs.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Power consumption seems kinda high but that IGP performance is top notch. I sense an itx build coming along :p

6. eue

eue Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+
    its a crap... the ipc is still to low and the clocks have to compensate with the drawback of power consumption... its game over for amd this time, only the gpu department of amd will survive if nvidia lets them because if an 7970 with 4.3b transistors runs for its money with the supposed to be mid-range 680 with 3.4b transistors i dont want to think about an equal specked nvidia counter-part.

this is an indication that the piledriver fx8350 will only compete at best with old school sandy and still lagging in most cases behind :bang:

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I doubt it will compete with sb, they still have to beat x58 yet and p2

8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    This isn't designed as top end performance (like your i7 was) it offers CPU/GPU for less than $140 (plus mobos pretty cheap as well). Your comment is like saying the new Hybrid is slower than your old Corvette.

Power consumption is a little high, (20 watts higher than Llano) on load, but will have to wait and see how the CPU performance works next week.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    These APUs were never meant for gaming.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Hmm... Hmm... I'm looking to upgrade our AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Black Edition based HTPC soon. Maybe this would be a good option?

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Probably, the Mobo has lots of goodies and the temps seem to be good. The only issue may be slightly higher load power consumption but I doubt a HTPC is going to stress it that much and will be in idle most of the (which it does do well at).

Edit, here is a look at the HTPC qualities of the Trinity Desktop, power actually looks pretty good. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6335/amds-trinity-an-htpc-perspective

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Since when is a(n) entry level/budget processor supposed to outperform a high-end processor? By that line of thinking, an IB based Pentium should outperform your i7-920....which we both know won't happen for at least several more generations....

13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    You could buy a i7 920 cpu used right now cheaper and stomp this cpu amd has turned into a joke

14. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    That is incorrect.
    Trinity has Cayman VLIW-4 SPUs.

GCN is a SIMD based architecture and wasn't present in the HD 6000 series.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  15. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    I will have to agree with you on this, a used i7 920 right now is around 150-160$ so AMD is 3 years behind.. bloody hell

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Is AMD only going to make APU's from now on? It's probably a stupid question..

Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date.

17. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    We are waiting for Piledriver the follow up to Bulldozer.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Trinity APU preview

Not if Techreport has anything to say:

Yes, AMD and other firms have done limited "preview" releases in the past, where select publications are allowed to publish a few pictures and perhaps a handful of benchmark numbers ahead of time.
    There is some slight precedent there.

But none of that changes the fact that this plan is absolutely, bat-guano crazy. It crosses a line that should not be crossed.

Companies like AMD don't get to decide what gets highlighted in reviews and what doesn't.
    Using the review press's general willingness to agree on one thing—timing—to get additional control may seem clever, but we've thought it over, and no.

We'll keep our independence, thanks.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Couple problems with that though.

1. Power consumption is a big key here a lot of times for something like this.
    2. You probably won't be able to find a brand new in box 920 along side a mobo for it not used, and if you do the prices are horrible most of the time. Where as with this, new in box and all. Not having to worry if someone who overlocked it pushed it too far or damaged it.
    3. 4 cores with 2 threads per core versus 2 "physical" cores with 2 "modules" inside, not too fair of a comparison...

Kind of unfair to compare a high end cpu to a mid range cpu too. The 920 may offer better cpu performance, but tdp and added bonus of the better integrated graphics is the key with the APU's from AMD. I just hope that these APU's have decent overclocking room and performance with overclocking, if it does that'll be the key for it.