Looking to buy a new computer

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twtaylor, Feb 19, 2013.

1. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I'm looking at buying a new computer instead of building a new one like I normally do because these old hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

My two choices I've narrowed it down to are:

iBUYPOWER http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5653741&Sku=I455-G4000 900.00 CAD

or

ASUS CM6340 http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7362971&Sku=A50-22022 CA 800.00 CAD

The first one has the advantage of having decent graphics but weak on the Hard drive space. It has at least 8gb of RAM, which I like but is as FUGLY as they come.

The second one has everything I want but is a little weak on the graphics side but it has nice clean lines.

To put the necessary upgrades in either would end of costing me the same overall. I'm leaning towards the ASUS but am willing to entertain other opinions. Thanks in advance.

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Aren't there any local builders you could pay a fee to build a system for you? That way you could choose your own components, probably end up with a better system overall. I know there are some online stores that will more or less do the same, but I couldn't name them off the top of my head. Worth looking into, I understand you don't want to build your own - but at least that way you get to decide on everything.

3. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Thanks for the reply. I did look into local builders and other custom builders like NCIX, Canada Computers etc and they were generally more expensive. I've spent about a week looking at various builds.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The main thing I tend to be weary of with builds like these are the power supplies. The "ibuypower" system is using a generic 500w, the Asus a 300w. I seem to remember someone on here complaining over an Ibuypower systems PSU going pop not so long ago.

Couldn't you ask family or friends to maybe help out with the build? Looking at the rest of your specs you don't really need that much. A new mobo/cpu/ram combo and a new GPU, you'd get much more for your money as well as the added benefit of not having to worry about shoddy components.

5. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I have an 850w Antec I can pull from my current computer to use. I already thought of that, thanks.

6. CreationP

CreationP Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3GB DDR5
    They seem decent for their prices although as you said, weak on the GPU. Especially if you are a gamer you will notice it.

I do not like the ready made PCs for many reasons so I always buy the components and build the pc myself. That way I have more flexibility and can manage my own costs.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    NCIX will build a custom PC for you for a $50 fee so long as you order the parts from them, which is fine because they price match anywhere that has stock in Canada (maybe includes anywhere that ships to Canada).

So even if there isn't one locally (I don't know, check), they can still custom build and ship one.

Edit: None in Barrie but many in the GTA if you want to make a trip instead of waiting for shipping - http://ncix.ca/contact/

8. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Thanks Neo, I've been checking NCIX and for the price I might bite the bullet and rebuild this one with one of their bundle deals. CPU/Board/RAM/Vidcard.

I put this one together, which seems a good price. http://secure1.ncix.com/cart/

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That link would show each individual's cart, I'd see my own not yours.

You can post a link to each part. Also try checking www.shopbot.ca to help find the lowest prices to price match.

10. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Honestly I wouldn't take an AMD FX CPU if it were offered to me for free, let alone pay $1250 before shipping and tax for a meh system containing one.

My suggestions for a custom one:
    CPU - i5 3570K or i7 3770K
    GPU - GTX 670 or higher (it's worth paying extra for one with a good HSF)
    RAM - DDR3 is cheap now, look for DDR3-2000 or higher at similar prices as DDR3-1600

The motherboard, case and peripherals are extremely dependent on personal preference. I assume you'd be transferring your sound card and PSU.

Like I said regardless of where it's from, NCIX will price match it, so just look for the cheapest price. I did a quick search and those were some fast results I got.

You could go even more overkill on the RAM if you like - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104373

But that requires more voltage.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  12. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I appreciate your opinion and prefer Intel to AMD but I have budgetary concerns as well. AMD FX cpu's aren't that bad and a GTX660 will do what I need it to do. My monitor only does 16x10 and with this system I can max everything out.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You're welcome. In my opinion regardless of the budget the one part that should be selected is the i5 3570K. I would build around that. For roughly $220 I'm sure you could make it work. And yes you should be fine with a 660 at 1600x1000. I just assumed 1920x1080 since that's so common these days.

Anyway, good luck making a choice, too many options.

14. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Just put this together at NCIX and seems a great deal at 962.45 CAD

1 x Intel Core i5 3470 Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.2GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail
    1 x Corsair Cooling Air Series A50 Performance CPU Cooler LGA775 LGA1155 LGA1156 LGA1366 AM2 AM3
    1 x ASUS P8Z77-V LX Z77 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 CrossFireX 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard
    1 x Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Low Profile 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit
    1 x Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Gaming Case ATX 3X5.25 4X3.5 Front USB Audio No PSU
    1 x Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120mm Fan 5 Year Warranty
    1 x Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit English DVD *for NCIX PC Only* *IR-$10.00*
    1 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Drive
    1 x ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
    1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
    1 x Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard
    1 x PC Assembly And Testing with 1 Year Limited NCIX System Warranty PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased
    PC Assembly & Testing does not include servers and requires an additional 4-5* business days to ship once all parts are in stock. NCIX will install aftermarket heatsinks or pre-filled CPU liquid coolers. Current lead time 5-10 business days.
    1 x Standard 1 Year Limited Warranty With NCIX IN-HOUSE Tech Support

It includes either a GTX560 or a 6870. If they ask, I'll opt for the 560.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    1 - The K at the end of the Intel processors means multiplier unlocked. The i5 3570K should easily be able to go towards the 4.8GHz range so long as an aftermarket cooler is used. Due to the shared clocks locked models really can't OC more than a crumb and even that risks stability. So yeah... back to what I originally said, I really recommend the 3570K.

2 - I would recommend going with a Gigabyte motherboard since those tend to offer more features for a lower price, and their quality is fine, they boast about it a lot. Personally I've never had a Gigabyte mobo die and my one prior to this is still in use, has been since 2008. Asus have always have higher prices.

3 - I would avoid Windows 8 like a disease, especially if you already own a copy of Windows 7, no need to pay for a really weird sidegrade.

4 - I don't know if a GTX 560 or an HD 6870 is enough for upcoming games at 16x10.

16. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    If it suites your taste, this cyberpower setup from newegg canada, doesn't seem bad.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229387

If you look into building it yourself. An AMD FX8320 offers some great bang for the buck (OC's like mad), but if your looking to hold on to it for some time too come the 3570K will last longer. If you feel that the 670 is a bit steep, the 660ti is a good alternative.

Tons of choices in you budget.

EDIT: i know the cyberpowerpc cost more than the other systems mentioned.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What I really fear from pre-built computers is that they will use bad quality or refurb PSUs since they assume no one will notice or care. With a custom build he'd be transferring his own PSU which is a good one.

18. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I'm with you, but i just assumed he would swap power supplies. Putting the antec in the new system and the new (budget?) power supply in his current rig.

EDIT: Cronotrigger FTW!

19. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I use Windows 8 right now and love it. I have zero issues with it. I've always liked Asus as far as MBs go and plan to stick with it. I've been on the one I have for at least 5 years. As far as OC'ing goes, not something I bother with anyways. Going with the 560 that comes with it shouldn't pose a problem. I have a 460 right now and can run everything fine and that's with my ancient Q6600 using medium high settings. The 560 will be replaced within a few months. Thanks again Neo.

I did a little research into cyberpowerpc and there is a lot of negative feedback in general regarding their systems so I'm going to avoid them. NCIX seems the best bet due to inhouse testing done before they ship but thanks anyway.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Not going to OC? That's giving up a lot of headroom on Intel chips. Even on stock voltage you can push quite a bit out of them. My old W3530 is set to nearly stock voltage and I run it at 4GHz. The chances of damaging a chip at stock voltage is pretty close to zero.

Anyway, I'm just posting because it's one of NCIX's weekly sales and they have a bunch of CPU/Mobo bundles discounted, so there might be one you'll like - http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=FebSuperSale2013&sn=5844