i7 3770k and Hyper 212 Evo push/pull, stock settings, good temp?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by shizwack, Mar 27, 2013.

1. shizwack

shizwack Guest

GPU:
    16GB G.Skill 1866Mhz
    Hi everyone! I'm new here but was wondering if I could possibly get some help/advice on my temperatures. It would be much appreciated.

i7 3770k with a Hyper 212 Evo, 2 fans-Push/Pull, nothing overclocked. Ambient about 26. When I run RealTemp and/or Core Temp it states that the processor is running 100% at 3.9ghz and I seem to hit a max temp on core 1 of 74. I am using Intel Burn Test on Maximum Torture and running 10 cycles. I also tried Prime 95 on any of the FTT's for about 30min (8 threads?). Heavy work.

Is 74 max on one core a good number for the i7 3770k? All other cores seem to be within 10 degrees of this number. Just wondering if I got the install right or not...

All of this in a Level 10 GT case with LOTS of air movement, so please disregard ventilation as an issue... :)

Thanks in advance!

2. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    74 max is good man

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's a bit high for 4Ghz. Your chip runs hotter than mine becuase of hyperthreading, but I still think something isn't right. With the same cooler in a Corsair C70 case, I get a max load temp of 60C at 4Ghz. What are your volts at?

4. shizwack

shizwack Guest

GPU:
    16GB G.Skill 1866Mhz
    Volts are all stock. I have people in other forums saying it's running hot... :(

5. shizwack

shizwack Guest

GPU:
    16GB G.Skill 1866Mhz
    All of your fan speeds in the BIOS and everything are at stock settings?

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea stock volts for those temps are pretty high for that overclock.

Did you enable Load Line Calibration in BIOS?

If you have your CPU vcore set to "auto" in BIOS this is the reason why you are getting high temps. As the motherboard will just set whatever it thinks your CPU needs for the speed you have set and it will set a massive amount of volts to the CPU.

I suggest typing in your vcore manually and enabling load line calibration as it will help level things out.

Run OCCT Linpack test and set the memory in that to run at 90% usage. Run it for 30 minutes and see if its stable. If not lower the vcore, if it is stable and you have acceptable temps (lower than 80c) then depending on how low the temps are you may be able to push your clocks higher.

Also keep volts within acceptable levels don't just bump it up as much as possible.

Here watch this video, this is how overclocking should be done
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBEeXajbG2o&list=UU_SN80_V2GymyCWM2oTYTeg&index=16

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Yes, and I'm not even running a true push/pull (I have my rear case fan set to match RPM of my cooler's fan).

8. shizwack

shizwack Guest

GPU:
    16GB G.Skill 1866Mhz
    I don't really want to mess around with voltages. Not comfortable yet. Are you talking about delidding CPC_RedDawn? I reapplied TIM even better than before and I'm running about the same temps. Ambient is 25-26. Idle 40ish. Max on a single core in IBT 75ish.

Is there something I'm missing here? BIOS settings? Fan control? I have not changed any of these settings since I built this rig...

Of course, HyperThreading is on, Turbo enabled, etc. etc. - as it would come out of the box... If that helps...

Would my CPU fans be running at 100% when the CPU load takes 100% in IBT? Curious...

9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The CPU fans should* be spinning to max when the processor is at 100% load. Open your case and look during a IBT run to check.

10. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    ivy is gonna run hotter then sandy

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    But im not using sandy?

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090

If you dont set the voltages properly then you will never get the temps down as at auto the board will push however many volts it thinks the CPU needs and 9/10 its far too much.

Trust me, when you next run a stress test, monitor vcore with CPU-Z and watch it shoot up when your CPU hits 100% full load.

Also OCCT with its linpack test is much more accurate result than IBT or Prime95. But it is best to do a run in ALL the programs as sometimes an overclock will pass in one program and not pass in another.

13. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    sorry dude read your post wrong lol

14. shizwack

shizwack Guest

GPU:
    16GB G.Skill 1866Mhz
    So, I have another question which might be related to this thread? If Intel's tcase temp for the 3770k is 67.4, am I not running dangerous here? Can someone please help me understand tcase?