NVIDIA GPU marketshare increases as AMD and Intel drop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I don't understand this. AMD has a great lineup this year and their drivers aren't crap like other years... also nVidia's Kepler isn't really that great so... why?

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Congrats NV now bring out the 780

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well for people who have owned Nvidia cards previously and were looking for an upgrade decided why rock the boat as it were...660 ti, 670, 680 very good cards.

for newcomers to the scene Nvidia still offers fairly competitive prices and does have some added extras like physx and new forms of AA (you can argue to what extent these are a big deal or not, fact is they are there).

i'll use my myself as an example. i'm looking to purchase a new card come Q1, and I cant see myself switching to AMD unless there's a bigger price difference or games incentive.

so its not surprising at all (well at least not to me anyways).

and it will take longer to dispell the reliability "myth" as it were (i.e drivers etc).

it doesnt help consumer confidence when just recently the 7 series has a "flickering" issue and AMD dont perform well in the cpu market and are cutting jobs.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    That's the main reason people should buy AMD: so that they don't go out of business. I don't want to even imagine a market where only Intel and nVidia compete for CPU and GPU.

6. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    sorry I dont buy something just so I can keep a company in business. that's illogical captain!

but I do understand that losing AMD might allow Nvidia more of a freer reign when it comes to pricing...but there will come a time for me when I'll say am not paying x for something even if it's the only choice.

i'll find something else to do :)

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Most people just read the headline it seems. If you look at the data you see that last quarter AMD shipped waaayy more than Nvidia did (as did quarter before that if memory serves correctly). Nvidia simply started shipping greater volumes once their new line was out.

It also doesn't really address the discrete market as both AMD and Intel APUs are included in this data.

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah i did read it and yes the headline is misleading. still Nvidia is on the up, AMD not. that's the crux of it no?

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not sure it is, as the headline never said that Nvidia sold more, it says Nvidia's market share increased while everyone else went down.

Wouldn't be surprised if AMD did lose alot of market share to Nvidia with the 7k cards though, after the fantastic value 5 and 6k series they decided to release the 7k cards at prices usually reserved for Nvidia and right when people have less money than ever.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    We are speaking quarter to quarter .. Its allways a bit hard ..

AMD like allways was going out of the forest first with their lineup .. Nvidia have come too then with an extremely good lineup, but when AMD was out with a fully lineup some month after the high end, Nvidia have continue to release their cards with some space with it. Good marketing too.. Im not really suprised of it... Sometimes is just a question of timing .

Now we get the figure with AMD performance who are soon 11 month olds, with drivers update, price update, it is different, but when the 680 have been released, things was different too.

But just for understand: Market share are not made with high end cards or middle cards, this is the smallest parts, Low end is the key.. and the marketing of Nvidia made on the 680 release and Kepler look to have really impact it. ( just make a ride on the Nvidia page about Kepler, its so funny ( +40% average more performance of his competitor ? show me where the 680 is 40% faster of his competitor lol ( when it is now faster of some few % of the 680 )

After Fermi, Kepler have got all right, after bad review on powerconsumption and kaotik launch, they come with extremely good powerconsumption, good performance...

it was awaited, the effect of the rebound will impact it a lot...

Even if AMD is allways in front of Nvidia in global gpu marketshre ..the lost seems mostly due to the drop of APU ( the number is really not good ), who was mostly replace low end gpu for AMD... Then again, quarter to quarter is allways different, of an all year marketshare ( due to fluctuation following the date of release and bought by OEM, assembler ))

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    That data represents the graphics market as a whole. You can't look at the graphics market and ignore APUs and IGPs....at least not if you're interested in facts anyway.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What $160 worth of free games isn't enough? And TXAA isn't supported by any game afaik, so it's kinda useless.

What does their CPU market have to do with Graphics cards...? going by the last few days it seems like you want someone to convince you to go red.

As I've said there is no flickering issue aside from low voltage which is a bios problem and nothing to do with AMD.

If you want to stick with Nvidia that's up to you...plenty of happy ATI owners out there...:)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    What is this new flickering issue ? ... when amd 7000 series are here since 11months, i m curious to here about that.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    According to a thread here in which 90% of the posts were made by the same 4 or 5 members, a few 78xx owners get flickering in some games - this does not make "an issue".

I get it occasionally when the vgpu is too low for the clock speed.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

16. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    the only reason i am gonna not take amd again is tearing that all amd cards have on windows desktop, login etc...

nvidia on same system was smooth...

and the unstoppable vsync with ogl in wc3 (dota 1)... it ruins many peoples experience with that double kill.........

and the most annoying is that amd have knowledge about these problems and they answered they cannot fix it......

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm on my 3rd AMD card in a row and I have no idea what you're on about.....how would screen tearing even be possible on the desktop?

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Broken Aero is one possible reason for screen tear on the desktop, which i suppose could be driver related.

It's actually a shame AMD are losing market share as these days they are making a great effort with working with developers.
    A few years ago it was the main criticism i had about them, it's certainly made me consider switching back, but maybe other people would rather cheaper GPU's and less support.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I agree....

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    AMD will likely have chips in all the consoles which should bring in some cash, what they need to do is just restructure before they get too far in debt.