Crosshair V and Crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by campcreekdude, Apr 14, 2012.

1. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    [​IMG]

In order to do that do I need to purchase a special crossfire link?

I have two Gigabyte 7970 OC and thier Crossfire link is too short to do that.

Is this normal?

2. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    the motherboard itself should have come with an extended crossfire connector. It comes with 2 actually, 1 long and 1 short - you can see them in the accessories photo on newegg.

If you don't have it anymore you can use pcie slots 1 & 2 with your bridge. This won't give the top card a lot of breathing room though. The slot spacing on this board was optimized with 3 cards in mind, I think. And keep in mind that bottom slot is only x4.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I just checked my box.
    I have an extended 'something' it says Asus on it but it does not look like it will fit (width wise). It might be an extended SLI not extended Crossfire.

It must be extended SLI.... but where is my extended Crossfire...

must keep looking! i probably dont have it.

kindof annoying that the extended one does not say sli or crossfire on it either.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I have the CHVF and CFX and yes there is a CFX connector and an SLI one in the box

You could put the cards on the closer slots but you might not get the full x16 lane bandwidth, but would work until you got another connector

5. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    Yes i found it.

The crossfire link extended does not look as long as the extended SLI... so direct comparison i thought the crossfire link supplied (with mobo) was not extended.

but then i held the short one (one that came with graphics card) next to a the one that came with crosshair v and it definately was extended.... I guess i should work at judging distances.

okay now i got them farther apart. Except the problem is my case is a antec 900... and there isnt much room between the power supply and the second video card. I kindof wish I would have gotten a larger case.

But if i would do 3 way all of them would be crammed so tightly together anyways. hmm.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Should be fine, install something like MSI Afterburner to keep an eye on temps, but air should be pulled in from the back of the card and pushed out the front (Back of case) anyway so as long as they aren't actually touching the fans on the PSU you`ll be fine

7. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    so you should have the top card in the topmost red slot and the 2nd card in the 3rd red slot down. You just don't want to use the bottom (4th) red slot as it is x4 only.

8. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    I believe i have it set up like that yes. Its too close to the power supply to put any card in that slot anyways. (th 4th one)