Best MB for this setup

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sileNtzM, Aug 8, 2014.

1. sileNtzM

sileNtzM Guest

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 770 AMP!
    Hello everyone,

I've a difficult choice to make this weekend, I need to choose the best MB for my setup.

My setup is currently composed of :
    - Intel Core i7 4790K
    - 4 x 8Go DDR3 2400MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum
    - 2 x Zotac GTX 770 AMP!
    - 2 x 256Go SSD Samsung 850 Pro
    - NZXT H440 Black/Red

I've a EK Watercooling Kit X360 composed of :
    - EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ
    - EK-CoolStream RAD XTX 360
    - EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition
    - EK-RES X3 150

I added those for the GPUs :
    - 2 x EK-FC770 GTX
    - 2 x EK-FC770 GTX GW Backplate

I initialy had this MB :
    - Asus Maximus VII Ranger

But the MB didn't worked out of the box and when I putted back the socket cover to ship it to Asus I slightly twisted two PINs so they don't want to take it to RMA.

So I'm looking for a good MB between 150 and 250€, if possible not an Asus one (you'll understand why). I'm mainly gaming on this rig but I want to OC my CPU and GPUs a bit to squeeze a little more juice from them.

I thought of those two motherboards already :
    - Asrock Z97 OC Formula
    - MSI Z97 MAX Power

Thanks for reading and thanks for your tips :)

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I feel bad that you had trouble with an Asus board, but imho Asus is the best out there and I'd highly recommend them for the fan/temp management that comes with all of their boards. I urge you to try it again... maybe with a different model. Otherwise, I'd probably give MSI a try.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I second Asus, their board at the moment are probably the best you can get.

Otherwise give MSI a go. Something like the MSI GD65 GAMING Z97 I have the same board but on the Z87 socket and its an awesome board.

4. sileNtzM

sileNtzM Guest

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 770 AMP!
    I had some heated conversation with the Asus France Support, I can't buy a motherboard without having confidence in the support. I had Asus MBs for like 10 years now, I'm quite upset that for two sightly twisted (really sightly, you can put them back up really easy) they don't want to test the motherboard.

Any thoughts on Gigabyte ?
    I've found this one at 250€ :
    - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You really can't fault Asus here. You did damage the motherboard.... Their warranty doesn't cover negligence. Now they have to repair it, just to test and repair it. That's additional cost to fix a problem they're not responsible for.

I've had my issues with Asus Tech Support but if they're making all of their motherboards like the AM1M-A (an entry level board) I'm currently using, you'd have a hard time finding anything of equal build quality from any other company. My ASRock Z77 Extreme4 isn't even close to the build quality of the AM1M-A which is quite sad considering the price difference.

6. MOAB

MOAB Guest

GPU:
    Galax GTX 950 Sniper OC
    MSI GD65 GAMING Z97 best priced out there

7. sileNtzM

sileNtzM Guest

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 770 AMP!
    Thanks for your answer, to clarify about the damage I did, I double checked the motherboard to find why it didn't worked, everything was good. Then I called Asus, they told me to RMA it with the backpanel and the socket cover, that's what I did. Then when they received the board they told me that 2 PINs on the socket were slightly twisted, so the only way I could have do it is when I put back the socket cover, even if I did it with care but whatever. To repair the motherboard and then test it (to find it won't work) it's 49€/hour, so I prefer put those € in a better MB.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. sileNtzM

sileNtzM Guest

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 770 AMP!
    I think I'll go with the Gigabyte, from the reviews I read it's a really nice motherboard, allowing me to SLI both my cards at 16x speed and benefit from a nice sound chip from Creative.
    Thanks all for the help :)

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just 2 bended pins?
    Where do you live,there are no jewelry store,or a reputable computer repair store?
    They can fix that problem for less.
    Try, you have almost nothing to lose.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    ASUS didn't do any damage to the board you did. So Asus was in the right to void the warranty because of you damaging the board. Any way Gigabyte boards are pretty solid boards.

11. sileNtzM

sileNtzM Guest

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 770 AMP!
    They didn't void the warranty, they ask to repair the PINs before getting the board into warranty, and I even can "repair" the board in 30 sec so I don't want to pay 49€/h to bend 2 PINs back.

12. sileNtzM

sileNtzM Guest

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 770 AMP!
    The problem is that the board didn't worked even with those 2 PINs not bended. There was an "00" error code and the board was physicaly not damaged at the start, it got damaged when I sent it to RMA (when I put back the socket cover apparently). I'll try to get it back, repair the PINs and send it to RMA by the store where I bought it and not Asus directly.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ranger is a entry mobo, its bound to be a little buggy..

Imo get asus z97 Deluxe or asus z97 WS.