Industry, and Apple, opposing “right to repair” laws

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by anticupidon, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    My sister has been using iPhones since the 3G and every single one started having issues and dying right around the 2 year mark. Let me guess, Apple's warranty is less than 2 years?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think they only offer a one year warranty. They don't really want people not buying their next yearly model. However, different jurisdictions have different rules in regards to warranties and resonable expectations of acceptable quality. Seeing as the iPhone is the most expensive phone on the market, in Australia even past the warranty period you can claim warranty under acceptable quality expection rules. This gets really complicated to try and chase up though.

A mobile phone due to the nature, treatment of them, usage etc, two years is probably conisdered a reasonable usage time. It's why it's stupid to spend so much on a phone, because 99.9 percent of the people who purchase such phones don't need the features the extra costs provide. A better camera is not a valid argument, spending an extra $500 to have a better camera on the phone is silly, although they are better than they use to be the really nice shots you see online and in adverts are very much cherry-picked, and in optimal conditions. A modern proper camera (not a 1/2.3" compact, although even they should be better) not set up improperly by the user such to distort results, should always be better quality that that a phone can take. A phone therefore is a convenience camera, it should not be used a pro camera, in which case the extra cost of $500 for the camera is pointless. You might as well buy a better $500 every couple of years or so for pro shots... and you probably wouldn't because you would think you wouldn't need it!

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not sure because I never have owned an iPhone and got pretty quickly fed up with the dying battery in my iPod back in the day, but I'd be really curious to see a release table worked into that graph that shows iOS updates. I wouldn't be surprised to see that also iOS updates correlate with such jumps in searches (something I've already suspected being an android thing too, release a new OS version that slowls older phones).

Just about the first paragraph, maybe in Australia you can claim a prolongued warranty, in the EU it's two years. But they want to sell you apple care anyway and charge you further :D

4. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Anything from the Dailymail should be taken with a pinch of salt at the best of times.

In general I understand why they dont want to support repairs as lets face it, it costs them more. In most cases its outright cheaper to write off some hardware and send out a replacement that it is to get it looked at by an engineer and repaired.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And that's exactly the issue with current society / manufacturing. Repairing could save money and resources in the long run, but we like building millions of new phones each year, not even having mastered the recycling process that would help. This is inevitably leading up to a resource crisis down the long road, which a timely change to repairable goods and electronics could avoid. At least that's the theory I guess.

6. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    One of the "problems" with the Iphone and a lot of phones is by design 100% charge is 4.35V, is the maximum safe limit for a Li-On battery so the cell degrade easily.
    I never charge my phones at 100% by reducing the voltage .10v +/- doubles the amount of battery cycles. My iphone 6 have more than 200 cycles and the battery life is like brand new.
    iPhones in my opinion is one of the most reparable phones in the market, only a few parts are glued and is pretty easy to take apart compared to other devices.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Really, like I said I support a number of different iPhones that my techs use, and from what other personnel use. We've got iPhones even back from 4's on our account because a couple people do not want to give up the size of them, and honestly if they work okay then I'm okay with that.