How to Position your Speakers Correctly

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Jeremy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    i basiclly got a 9.1 setup. not like Dolby's Pro logic IIz though... it consists of a logitech G51 5.1 setup with 2 side 3 way speakers (one's that are a tower rectangle and house a 15 "sub , a 4" and 3" tweeter) and since my reciever can hold up to 4 speakers at once, since it is from the early 90's, i added 2 small 5" tweeter speakers right by my rear speakers on each side. so its not the height factor that dolby does, but a little more background and side sound to fill the spectrum. OH and the bass is bouncin enough under my desk instead of a corner.

2. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Deep bass is indeed omni directional, but it's rarely the case in real world setups, because it's not until around 80hz that this becomes true. So even if you have your crossover set to 80hz, it will still contain some directional audio, as typical crossover filters aren't steep enough to remove all audio above it's set frequency.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No, your system would still be considered 5.1 just you have extra speakers on the channels.

4. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    what about Volume settings for each speaker ? should the Centre speaker be louder than the front L+R speakers ? should the rear speakers be quieter than the front 3 ? etc etc

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Fronts and rears should be equal volume, center should be the same or louder to taste.
    If you make the center too loud it will mess up the front imaging.

6. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Speaking of subs, also reversing polarity of a subwoofer, especially in a multi sub configuration can make all the difference.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes the polarity of the signal can be a big issue. With multiple subs if they are both running on the same signal phase they can actually compete with and cancel out some of the bass. In many case people will set one sub to a 0 phase angle and the second to a phase angle out of phase by 180 degrees. In this type of system one pushes when the other pulls... in terms of moving air, works great. There are more uses for the phase button though...

8. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    Rob you need to change that speaker setup from rear speakers to side speakers :)

9. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    hello guru's,
    i thought i would add this to this section.
    If your using surround sound and have windows 7 ,please go in to your control panel,hardware and sound,sound,speakers and then properties.there in enhancements is speaker fill,turn that on please.it makes a big difference.:eek3:
    yours,
    @renadier

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300

but doesnt that just send a stereo signal to each speaker ?

11. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    yes,most things are in stereo ,so i helps to have it spread it to all speakers and onboards dont normally turn it on if you have 5.1 sound or higher.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  12. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    So what about when your playing a 5.1 game does it work as 5.1 or would you have to turn off speaker fill 1st ?

13. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    i should think dolby or something would take over from signal splitting,but who knows, windows dont seem to turn on when in stereo.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I use samsung 5.1 cinema set for my PC through optical cable, im still not sure if it really outputs 5.1, how can i hear/test if the rear speakers are working? So far i couldnt hear them. I tried bluray movies with 5.1 DTS.

15. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Just right click volume icon in the task bar, select playback devices, click on speakers, then click properties, then advanced, then click test and it should cycle through each speaker individually...

choose configure and select 5.1 if it's not already selected :)

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, we've had the very same thread quite a few times!

It is however quite important the way we position our speakers as it makes a huge difference.

It's quite simple. Maks sure the speakers are LEVEL with your ears, same height.

Make sure the speakers are FACING you, not the wall.

Finally make sure nothing is BLOCKING or in the way of the speakers otherwise you will obviously block the sound!

A good thread for those who do not know or want tips for the very best possible sound...

Running a decent equalizer also helps...

17. CHBE

CHBE Guest

GPU:
    AMD/Radeon HD6450/2GB
    Great tips, make sure you break up parallel surfaces to avoid standing waves. A simple option is using egg crate foam like you put on your bed. If you don't like the aesthetics, try framing it and covering it with a print fabric you like.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well there is the optimal configuration and it is great to have the ability to set up like this.
    Some people have issues with the room shape, their desk..etc
    So you have the work with the speaker positions to get the optimal setup for your situation.

You should always fine tune the setup also, toe in, toe out a bit this way a bit that way.
    Tune listen, tune, listen...and so on...

If you are interested in fine tuning your speaker positions for better sound, I suggest spending some time studying the topics so you know the various theories.

Subwoofers are also setup in an HT system in the same way. Listen,move,listen move..until you find the sweet spot for the living room.
    As I said though you are usually somewhat limited in a PC audio system on how you can set things up.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  19. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Just to add some things, most subs are not capable to do frequency range above 100Hz very well, but since that is a job of satellite speakers, on better systems it will almost always benefit to put a sub in the corner of the room. And if subwoofer have bass-reflect hole in front (not on side) it can be very helpful to reverse subwoofer to face corner of the room (bass reflect hole "looking" into corner) it will add "kick" bass and also deep bass (below 50Hz). And if speaker is not faced to the floor, and subwoofer don't have bass reflect hole (or is below speaker), then speaker should face the corner of the room.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Putting a subwoofer in the corner of a room is called "Corner loading" it was mentioned earlier and is not needed in every system as it is only recommended for certain subwoofers.
    To clarify for you, bass "reflect hole" is called a port. Each system is different and there are very few rules that apply to all subwoofers.

I recommend you do more research on these topics as it seems you are unsure of your info or terminology.

Hope that Helps.