GTX 590s blowing up prematurely with small voltage increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by king-dubs, Mar 25, 2011.

1. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    the card at stock clocks its mor then capable to run all games fine no need to oc

2. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    yes. but that is not the point. the point is that its an enthusiast product. and enthusiast overclock and like to have the ability to do it without having to worry about the card burning up some part of it. yes this could always happen on any card but from my own experience, ive never burnt a card even when reaching its maximum clocks with higher volts.

the pc might bsod or freeze or the card might reach extreme temperature while testing its limits but never have i gotten a card burn up.

it is clearly a design problem as this does not happen with nvidia's other cards.

I will not even consider buying a product like this when theres so much threads about it burning up. they really need to make a recall, pull them from market like intel boards with the defective chipset. and then proove with the new revision that this wont happen. only then i would consider them.

3. loneknives

loneknives Guest

GPU:
    Galaxy gtx 670 GC
    I don't think Nvidia need to do a recall since it is working fine at stock, the only reason intel do the recall was over time it shorten the life of hdd and destroy data. There is nothing wrong with the gtx 590 at stock and minor overclock.

4. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Oh lol good find cowie , where is "Rich_Guy" , he should search a slogan now.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3931106&postcount=4
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3931511&postcount=131

So what AMD wants to know what card is the fastest , they realy mean what card blows up first , lol.http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-challenges-nvidia-to-prove-that-the-geforce-gtx-590-is-the-fastest/

ps: it's a joke so don't take it to serious , I'm drunk and the sun is shining !!

5. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Let me ask you something, did you know that most, if not all electronics have a security switch or fuse??? Nvidia and Ati have this and it didn't blow up, just activated security trip you fools, lol just turn the computer off for a while, 100 bucks says it turns back on after a few hours... just don't overvolt it that high...

6. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    The review where the 6990 died they did remove the cooler for naked pics of the card and that review also said this

The difference with this model is that the thermal compound used on the GPU cores is a phase change material that once removed will never work in the same fashion as it originally did.

which might explain why the card failed.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
  9. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    lols, dont they have ways of knowing if it was overcloked?

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I would think that overclocking and changing the voltage is warrantied but disabling OCP isnt.
    Can anyone confirm?

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    funny i looked thuogh that site could not find that he was getting a 590 at all.
    pics or it did not happen
    they caught more then one kid bs'in in the my 570 died thread.

it depends on the brand if overclocking is ok..let alone adding voltage disabling ocp i would thik is not by anyone.

12. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    This will answer your question http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196244 for NVIDIA. How they can control it that you used software to overvolt I don't know.

For the 6990 it's the same , if you use the OC switch you lose waranty by AMD, except XFX for what I know they give you waranty if you use OC switch.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    it might it might not
    dont you think he replaced it with new paste after cleaning it for the pics?
    what about the others(6) that could not speak out about it?
    some sites will go and take pics of the pbc naked have been doing it for yrs.should be no issue i would think.
    i cant see you just replacing the paste and never having it run the same again?that would not be good for a guy like me who immediately(99.99% hawk i killed i did not) does that after finding out if the card came doa or not.
    this really is ot that i did bring in myself but i looked at all the dead 590 card sites in there reviews not one has 20%+ voltage in the 6990.some none at all
    if they did i'm willing to bet the same thing would have happened as the 590.

#
    powercolor says its ok to move the switch too civato

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  14. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    some people here...are trying to promote nvidia...to convince us there is no problem neither on 570 nor 590...ok...i am glad that i dont have any of these two..jesus...who wants to risk his money as enthusiast nowadays....??? get lost...only 580 is a mighty and trusted card...

the only card an amd user would get green...AMD in general ATI is superior in material quality...in the last many years...i have PC, i hear more burnt cards from green side than red...it's not just pure bad luck...nvidia pwned by themselfs...dont try to help them buying these dangerous cards until nvidia release new revisions with also new bios...END

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well ok enough of my speculation i dont want this card but yes i'm looking for one now...if it dies or not will be in guru fs section
    if i kill it i will get rma and sell that one for cheap,if i dont i will sell that one for cheap to.
    f'in ah i hate this franking card crap now tbh.]

as for promoting nv idk?
    i found info you can see thuogh the bs if not your blind.

16. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Here is some superior AMD building.
    http://translate.google.nl/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.hardware.info%2Fnieuws%2F21560%2Fhd-6970-vertraagd-door-ontwerpfoutje

ps: still a joke , I'm still drunk because the sun won't stop shinning.

And no there is no problem with GTX570 , just don't disable the OCP !!!
    And it's not my money but my wifes so I don't care.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    civato i think them chipping off piece of the power plug is way less of an issue lol.

i cant even find one of these pos's f/s wth?
    who got this card that blows up before you even put it in your rig?

btw
    did chispy ever show/tell us about the 10 cards he knows of that died,he say stock on water on ln2? what apita that must be on ln2 with the stupid power plug in the way.
    i'll add them to the list but its spec till then

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hola my good old friend :) Gino , i wont mentioned the names due to the fact that most of the cards that blew up were for review and i dont want to get the guys in trouble. For LN2 you have to beef up the PWM VRM upgrade the circuitry in order to be able to overclock , heres the work in progress from my team Mate TiN whos an engineer working for eVGA and he knows what he is talking about. a quote from his review " I plan to reinforce power curcuitry for 590, because NVIDIA design quite constrained in space and VRM may not fulfill our needs during highly extreme overclock. Extra power will be pushed to the center of card
    "

Read the whole review here and feel free to ask this VGA engineer any questions.

http://www.kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Hey ang'
    yeah i known of his work for yrs he helped me mod a card few yrs back,like who else puts a 480 ass end on a 580 to get more clocks lol
    but besides making the card fit for extreme duty use,any samples not noted allready that were stock volts and clocks?
    no one else got in trouble for being honest i cant se why they'd be afraid

billy the kid has some nice results stock cooling as i posted in the dd waterblock thread.

btw
    who has a link for a 590 f/s in the states any one?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011