GTX 580 SLI getting HOT

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TK423, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The top fan should be blowing out of the case, as it needs to be.
    For most situations, the Antec 900 fans should be arranged:

In:
    Front 2 and side

Out:
    Top and back

Try to tie wires and cables out of the way of the main airflow space inside the case.
    I also have an 80mm fan blowing on the motherboard heatsinks, not such a worry if you use a CPU cooler.
    Mine is externally watercooled so there is very little airflow near the CPU socket.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I just bought 4 of these...

[​IMG]

The frame is magnetic so they will just attach right on the front, side intake and use a couple of screws on the push fan on my H50. I keep thinking about replacing my 900... but you can get a lot of air flow through the case without creating a huge racket.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Who would want ladies tights stretched all over their case fan intakes, not me lol, got some excellent Demcliflex filters on my HAF932, pricey yes but worth every single penny imo.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    They look neat.
    Do they seal the edges?

If there was a problem with how they looked I might understand you.
    They are very very cheap, a little fiddly to install but they work extremely well and are very easy to clean.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    They will on the front intakes and on the H50 fan. I imagine there might be a bit of leakage around the side fan. If it looks like an issue, I can always run a thin bead of clear silicone sealer flush with the grill under the fan to stop any air flow through the sides of the mesh around and under the filter.

6. TK423

TK423 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    So I just opened my case up and was not able to open either of my GTX 580s. I have never encountered screws so tight in my entire life. I don't have a power drill at home and absolutely could not get the screws to budge.

Instead I just sprayed compressed air into the heat sink and cleaned out the fan.

I inserted my cards back into my computer and I'm idling around 35-40 degrees Celsius and just ran the FurMark Benchmark Preset: 1080 and my max temperature was 74 degrees Celsius.

Is this more like it?

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    thats better. clean them monthly along with the rest of your rig

8. TK423

TK423 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    I also just ran the 1080 burn in benchmark for 15 minutes and my max temperature was 85. I was hitting 10 degrees above that after 5 minutes of running Far Cry 3.

I think it's safe to say I found my problem?

9. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's very reasonable for SLI 580s on stock cooling, in a case designed for quiet operation. If you get some better case airflow and new thermal paste, I'll bet you can drop 5 more degrees, but where you are now is just fine.

10. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Nice work OP, now keep her maintained :)

11. TK423

TK423 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Thanks for your help guys! It was much appreciated. Glad to see the community is helpful and accepting to new and experienced users alike.

I've turned my computer back on after being off for a few hours and am noticing my idle temps have jumped up a bit. My top card is a averaging about 41-43 degrees Celsius right now.

Still about average, correct?

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends on the fan speed, case airflow and room temp and it may be a bit higher with SLI.
    I use Afterburner to set my fan to 30% at idle, this gives me a general idle temp of 27 to 32C depending on room temp.
    But different cards have different fans/heatsinks, so its not so easy to compare unless someone has the same card/heatsink.

13. TK423

TK423 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    Seems like my idle temperatures are slowly creeping up since cleaning my cards.

My top card is now idling at about 45 whereas yesterday it was almost ten degrees below that.

Any ideas?

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Room temp change: window closed, door closed, heating higher, more people in the room, someone cooking downstairs, PC use pattern ::
    How often you use your PC
    How hard the PC is pushed
    How long the PC is pushed hard
    How long after using it you check temps
    Case side fitted
    Fan speed changed

15. TK423

TK423 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 980
    I see now that there are a lot of variables to the temperature of a rig.

Not anything I had really thought of before! Thanks for all of the information! It's been an informative experience.

16. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    TK423 where are you from? In Australia it's summer and my room temps have gone way up and now my cards have jumped a fair bit too.

Anyhoo on and off topic:

Firstly I also have REALLY HOT 580s when playing FC3 also. I've never seen my cards go this high in anything. The top one is at 89 literally just 2-5 mins in just sitting in the menu.

ALL my other games I've never seen them past 75c top or bottom. Just played BF3 and they didn't go past 72c

Could this possibly be a FC3 issue?

Off Topic: I've just found out why my cards stay at maxed clocks, I have a Logitech G19 keyboard and for some reason the software that comes with it the logitech gaming software is the culprit. As soon as I stopped it the clocks went down to 51mhz from 772. Just wanted to know if anyone knew why or if I could do something so windows doesn't think its a 3D program? I'll be making a thread anyhoo just to be kosher :p

Sorry for derailment.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah that will cause it.
    Forgot to add in my last post that the time of day temps are measured for comparison can matter a lot.

Its more a driver vs overclock vs voltage issue.
    NVidia have pushed performance in the driver to get higher GPU utilisation, but unless the performance gains are from removing redundant code that is still executing, then a performance increase will raise GPU temp.
    Also FC3 may be pushing the GPU very hard, making the issue stand out more.

You have a choice, 1 or more of the following:
    Use an older driver
    Raise GPU voltage if heat permits
    Lower your clocks a bit
    Raise fan speed

I'm also using a G19 with a GTX580 and havent encountered that issue in over 2 years.
    Try uninstalling all G19 software and start from scratch with the same version that has worked for you before. Go to the latest driver if you get no luck.
    Try an older NVidia driver (clean install) and see how that behaves.

I have suffered from my G19 software crashing immediately every time it runs if I have a Logitech G500 mouse driver installed.
    Tried all different drivers for both, no joy
    Madness that caused me to buy a Steelseries Sensei Pro mouse which is wicked :)
    Still got an unused G500 sat here.

18. Nirvana91

Nirvana91 Guest

GPU:
    7950 @ 1210/1500
    What he must do (or pay any1 to do):

- Disassemble the card
    - Clean the cooler
    - Change the thermal past to a good one (Artic MX-4)