First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. sovietwarbear

sovietwarbear Member

GPU:
    RTX3080 master 10gb
    hi

i got win 8.1 and say i got dx11 where can i get DX11.2 ? or wil it stil say i got DX11 ? thx for help :)

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    DX11.2 is still DX11, dxdiag will say DX11, don't worry about that, same here. The only game using DX11.2 will be BF4 anyway, iirc. or is there other games running DX11.2?

3. sovietwarbear

sovietwarbear Member

GPU:
    RTX3080 master 10gb
    oke thx and i think when Xbox one wil come more dx11.1/2 to games wil come for pc

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been going through my many games to check compatibility with Windows 8.1. The good news is that the majority of them work fine so far, although a few oddly needed revalidating on Steam. Some I've had to download protection patches for because the DRM no longer works with Windows 8.1 (Of Orcs and Men, Game of Thrones RPG, etc).

I've just been testing the Assassin's Creed games though with the new Uplay v4.0 and I was surprised to find that Assassin's Creed II, AC: Revelations and AC: Brotherhood all load up in windowed mode rather than fullscreen. Pressing Alt-Enter does not work and the game doesn't have a window/fullscreen option either. The games work fine otherwise. The first Assassin Creed (DX10) and Assassin's Creed III (DX11) all load fullscreen so I'm puzzled as to why the three based off the ACII engine don't.

Anyone else getting this same issue?

*EDIT*
    Guess what... if I launch those three games from Uplay then they're windowed but if I launch them from Steam then they're fullscreen! They're retail disc versions as well which I only added the shortcuts to Steam for; they are NOT Steam games so I don't know why they work fullscreen from Steam but not Uplay since Steam still launches Uplay anyway! Isn't PC gaming fun? :bang:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You only get the "upgrade" if you're on Windows8. In which case you go to the MetroUI and click on the "Store" tile. Windows8.1 will be the first tile that appears in the store.

If you're on Windows7, you'll have to purchase Windows8.1.

6. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Perfect. I'm on windows 8 pro, thanks for the direction. Appreciate it

7. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Does SweetFX work fine with Windows 8.1

I haven't upgraded my Windows 8 Pro version yet.

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I installed 8.1 pro... It looks like it set everything to defaults, I wish they would have kept all my settings. Anyways. I went into NVCP and it's not letting me enable sli or setting pysx to my 2nd card. It's says in a separate screen "I need to close, WWAHost.exe" but nothing is running in startup or task manager?? Any ideas how to fix this?

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    works fine for me.

I re-installed w8.1pro last night and now my taskbar is flashing. Didn't have that problem before. I'm not sure why that is, anyone have a tip?

EDIT: nvm, seem to have fixed it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Can anyone help me with the WWAHost.exe screen error preventing me from enabling sli in NVCP? I've googled it and gotten no guidance on fixing what it's asking for after updating to 8.1

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Roll back to 8

12. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thanks but I don't think that's useful.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I give win8.1 props for fixing a bug with USB3 hub using USB2.0 ports.

In devices and printers section
    If I clicked on keyboard troubleshooter (logitech g15v2) it said I need to connect to a usb2 port and that it can't fix "device might stopped working"..

Now in win8.1 it fixes that "issue" as well.

edit: non gui WEI 8.1 score :nerd:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.intowindows.com/get-windows-experience-index-wei-score-in-windows-8-1/

lol this looks like a interesting way to turn off pc
    http://www.intowindows.com/slide-to-shut-down-feature-in-windows-8-1/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  14. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I found the problem I was having. WWAHost.exe is for windows store.. For some reason it won't allow sli with windows store running..

Before 8.1 I would log into my pc with my password on 8 pro. Now with 8.1 it asked me to create an account for the store. Now, every time I log in it shows my email address and forces me to log in with windows pass word I created. I don't want to long into my account every time just to get to my desk top. How do I turn off windows asking me to log into the windows account? I want to enter my password and use my PC without having to log into windows account crap.. I've been checking under user accounts but can't find anything other than remove my account. If I did that can I get back on my desktop?

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Metro UI > PC settings > Accounts > Disconnect under your live email address

It might mess with a small amount of customisation when you return to a local account, but not much, when I switched from local to live I had to pin stuff back to the taskbar and I think re-add a toolbar for the system tray, something small like that

You can leave the live account and change from password to PIN, or Picture password to make it quicker to log in

You're still gonna have to log into the apps though with your email, you can't use the store or mail or people etc without a live account log in

16. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I'll give it a shot. Thank you for your help!

17. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Anyone watched movies in netflix with windows 8.1 yet? When I click on the movie the screen flickers black before the movie comes on for a brief moment now.. And the icon to enable HD in the movie toolbar is missing, I can't enable HD in Netflix now.. Wth?

I did some reading and found out that windows 8.1 no longer uses Microsoft silverlight as the viewer, it now uses HTML5? Supposedly HTML5 uses 1/3rd of the CPU usage as silverlight.. But which one has the better picture quality? silverlight or HTML5?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  18. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    I just updated to 8.1

Everything feels smoother, does anyone else feel the same or is it just in my head?

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    BF4 will use Dx11.1(CPU Optimizations), not Dx11.2

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you're right, my bad.