Creative Sound Blaster Z Series

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by IanM, Aug 15, 2012.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Haha really? Wow. They have change logs so is it a mistake or an outright lie?

2. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Change log is the same as the previous release. Once loaded the driver/date are the same. Fortunately my Z works fine in Win8.1, no issues so far.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    ASIO works a bit dodgy at times in W8.1. Kinda pathetic to just rebrand the same old driver.

He has the same "problem" as me. It's impossible to use the card without ACM without destroying hearing. I can't use this without ACM. Fortunately my ACM works just fine (no channel imbalance or other issues; Windows volume at 10% and ACM around 60% using line out instead of headphone amp).

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Why would you NOT use the headphone out with the ACM on the ZxR?

5. famaliden

famaliden Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 480
    Just registered because this thread seems to have a lot of sound blaster z users.

I was wandering why my sound blaster z drivers are showing up as a SB Recon3d PCIE instead of being named soundblaster Z. The reason I ask is because my card isnt showing up in the Z control panel and Im not hearing any sound so Im assuming this is the issue. If any of you had this issue how did you fix it?

6. famaliden

famaliden Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 480
    ok i fix it..Just required a bios update...:bang:

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i have this issues when i turn off my pc and then turn it on the next days it always shows as recon 3D and i need to plug it out and in again. that happens once per day

8. extraordinaire3

extraordinaire3 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce 650Ti superc
    ASIO supported with web software update

Sound Blaster Z-series (ASIO support without Direct Monitoring - need to install latest web update).

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Maybe because I want to keep my hearing and have some control over the volume level? I don't know how loud ZxR headphone out is at lowest gain setting. On Z, Zx one can't change that.

10. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Without dismissing the value of physical volume knobs, obviously there are alternatives such as software volume sliders, mouse and keyboard shortcuts.

The ACM naturally preserves the headphones volume level, which is quite beneficial considering the control panel couldn't care less for your desired volumes when switching speakers/headphones mode.
    why bother with a simple software solution if they can charge the extra for broken hardware, right?
    well I don't offer the latter, but provide a simple software solution free of charge. anyway I hope you get your ACM issue fixed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

11. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Try updating your BIOS as suggested ;)

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Doesn't change the fact that the line out is too loud even at ~3% windows audio cp volume when I plug my headphones directly in the card. External knob is the only option without totally ruining the audio quality through excessive use of digital volume control.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    already latest version. hopefully won't do it anymore

14. Aenygma

Aenygma Active Member

Please Help

Preface:
    Not an audiophile, but know what I like :)

I just finished a new build and picked up a Soundblaster Z to replace a Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro.
    I had been happy with the X-Fi, but since this was a new build, and the X-Fi is 4 years old, and they had a sale, I went with the newer Z.

-I use iTunes as my music player.
    -SoundBlaster Z is connected to Logitech z5500 5.1 speaker system.

Issue:
    The problem I am having is I want my music to play from my surround speakers as well as the fronts, and I can’t see a way to do this with the Z, without having horrible echo, and a weird effect of the sound/instruments at times seeming to fade in and out.

It would seem odd that a much newer card would not be able to do what the older card could. I really want my music to play through the 4 main speakers as it used to (X-Fi played it this way for music, used all 5 for movies).

Any help would be appreciated.

*Edit*
    Removed line that was not needed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  15. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    If you use optical, the decoding is being made by the z5500, and the DAC on those is considerable lower than the one in the Z, you just spend money on it, use analog and see how it goes.

16. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    -The Z is connected via optical to Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system. (I may go analog but I don’t see that as the current issue).

Chances are the SB-Z's CS4398 DAC chip is better then the DAC chip inside the Z5500, so going analog should improve audio quality.

17. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I have the Z5500 connected to both digital and analog, but only use analog as the Z's DAC is clearly the better one.

lack of stereo surround is a real shame. best you can achieve via the Z's control panel is to disable/uncheck center when using SBX Surround.
    for real stereo surround in music you can use foobar2k with channel mixer plugin set to copy mode.
    also the Z5500 has a stereo surround feature of its own, so you could just enable that.

18. Aenygma

Aenygma Active Member

Applejack, thank you for confirming what I have been finding out since last night. In researching the issue I found numerous other people complaining about the lack of this feature.

I have to say I am stunned that it is missing this simple feature. As I look around my home we have 4 surround sound systems and all of them let one listen to their music from all four speakers.

I did up the "surround" on the z5500's already, but while it did work, I was still getting horrible echo. The z5500's would not do surround for me unless I ticked surround on in Creative CP, and that would turn on SBZ, and I think that is what is causing the echo.

I am pretty sure I will be putting the X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional back in. It worked fine, and did not need for me to have to try workarounds.

Perhaps, their next line of cards will be the ones for me.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  19. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    heads up, Youtube Stereo-Surround upmix is possible! (apparently for quite some time now)

http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/SVPtube

I'm currently having it stream to MPC-HC, upmixing with AC3Filter using a custom mixer matrix.
    although you could use MPC-HC built-in mixer to simply mirror channels, I recommend using AC3Filter (or at least ffdshow audio decoder) as it let you adjust much more.

AC3Filter is very good for upmixing in general and works with many players. you can also use it with winamp via the WinampMatrixMixer plugin which is based on it (say, in case you aren't satisfied with foobar2k + channel mixer plugin).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  20. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Well....the SB Z came today.....gotta say.....know I feel the power!....Ohhh jeezus!