Build quality; Corsair VS G.Skill

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mkilbride, Oct 27, 2011.

?

Quality

1. Corsair

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. G.Skill

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. Same quality.

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    So I was showing my friend the rig I plan to build, and he won't let up on me buying G.Skill over Corsair. Now, I've used both before and I find them the same quality, yet he won't budge an inch on this matter. He builds custom PC's for people and says he will suggest them to not use G.Skill RAM / won't cover them in his warranty, unlike Corsair.(I had made a mistake previously saying he would not put them in even at their request, and at his request, I have fixed this.)

http://forum.esforces.com/threads/152604-My-next-Rig?p=1934888&viewfull=1#post1934888

So what do people think?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They are both extremely high quality. That your friend has personal preferences is one thing, but until he can come up with better proof than "I think so" the facts remain unchanged.

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ill take g-skill over corsair..
    i had quite a few corsair memorys, all had probs after some time or died on me..

g-skill on the other hand where always running fine and had quite a good OC also..and every rig i build for friends have g-skill in it..no one had a prob ever...

well, i preffered OCZ Rams. but since OCZ went out of ram buisness i have to choose different..

But COrasiar isnt bad..i just dont think theyr ram ´s are this good...there are better or same quality rams out there for better prices then corsair..

But Corsair makes GREAT PSU´s..that i know..i had severel and all where great..still humping on my VX550W Corsair PSU ;)

This is just my opinion based on my experience with them..in around 10 years and more...
    Someone might think diff about it...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Corsair anyday of the week. One, Corsair has a longer history with memory and two, the name G-skill , gay skill or whatever it is called looks silly and it is not something I would want showing in my system specs. But that is just me as I am picky about names that way. I feel the same for names like BFG which always stood for "Big Freaken Gun" in Quake2.

The facts:

G.Skill:

Based in Taiwan, the G.Skill corporation was established in 1989 by a group of computer enthusiasts. In 2003, the company debuted as a maker of computer memory. The company currently operates through several distributors and resellers in North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

Vs.

Corsair:

The company was founded as Corsair Microsystems in 1994 by Andy Paul, Don Lieberman, and John Beekley, Corsair originally developed Level 2 cache modules, called Cache-On-A-Stick or COAST modules, for OEMs. After Intel incorporated the L2 cache in the processor with the release of its Pentium Pro processor family, Corsair changed its focus to DRAM modules, primarily in the server market. In 2002, Corsair began shipping DRAM modules that were designed to appeal to computer enthusiasts, who were using them for overclocking. Since then, Corsair has continued to produce memory modules for PCs, and has added products in other PC components as well.

So basically you have a group of PC guys playing star-craft forming a company vs. a company that makes a full range of products with partnerships across the board. Who are you gonna put more trust in?

Common sense people, common sense!

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Mkilbride: for names I only ever buy Asus for motherboards, Intel for CPU's, Corsair or Kingston for memory, Seagate for hard drvies, Asus for video cards, Antec or Enermax for power supplys, Logitech for keyboards, Acer or Samsung for monitors, and finally Asus or Creative for sound cards!

And in the 17+ years of building computers with these names not a single time have I ever had a part gone bad, ever! Not a single hard drive or memory stick. Not a single motherboard or CPU.About thwe only thing I have ever replaced was keyboards and mice.

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Seagate for HDD's? You realize they have the highest failure rate out of all HDD makers?

You're very lucky. :p

7. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, i also use seagate..and from all 15 hdd´s i had from them only one died on me..
    SO id say theyr pretty ok.

But i also had 5 samsung Hdd´s and none off them had any problem. still have an IDE samsung from way back thats still in really good shape.

Western digital, id never buy again..to many had probs and made noises for me..

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Source?

Regarding Corsair, I've been told by one supplier that they reduced Corsair stock levels due to high number of RMA's.
    I myself have RMA'd a brand new stick of Corsair.

Be that as it may, I have ValueRam installed atm and can't fault it.
    Overclocks like a mofo at stock volts and performs at least as good as the more expensive Dominator/Vengeance series.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I hope you do realize how insanely retarded this makes you look, basing a companies quality on its name and origins. This logic actually reflects back at you when you consider the meaning of "Corsair":

I mean, where did you think their logo came from?

[​IMG]

Statistics speak otherwise as Corsair has a higher RMA rate than G.Skill:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/843-4/memoires.html

- Crucial 0.4%
    - Kingston 0.5%
    - G. Skill 1.4%
    - Corsair 1.6%

But then again, facts never seem to bother you.

The bottom line is that you get nearly the same quality from all major brands these days, period. People seem to have favorites that aren't usually based in fact.

I for example have had one out of the two Samsung F4 2TBs I ordered come with a damaged disk and therefore useless, but I don't go badmouthing Samsung for that as it can happen with any other brand and it's really just the luck of the draw.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    GSkill is the only brand I will buy since last few years. Even their midrange sticks seem to have way more headroom than other brands I've used. 800ddr2 I have in my other rig does 1000mhz easily with no vdimm increase. For DDR3 I go for 1.5v dimms only.

11. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Well lucky you, because I recall Seagate had some nasty HD problems due to bad firmware once upon a time! Logitech's mice are worth mentioning though, my MX518 has been working 100% fine for about 5 years.

12. raif

raif Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr GTX 980
    maleficarus just seems to be a very name oriented guy. stupid way to pick items really. you should be choosing through research and reviews and facts, not that factual information seems to be relevant to you. ever.

on to the question, honestly they both have the same quality of ram. atm though it seems like corsair is in a slump with theirs slightly in comparision to g.skill, but i expect them to eventually fix this. not becausenits corsair mind you, but because theyre a company that when one of their products have an issur, theyll fix it.

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    You and your so called "stats" are about as legit as the national inquirer is to gosip! As for names, like I said it is a personal thing for me. If a company can't come up with a decent well thought out name I won't buy it. Like for example BFG. Anyone that has played Quake knows where this name came from. Also G.Skill, ya alot of thought went into that one didn't it? Gamer.Skill? Or another notable mention is the naming a model after a PC gamer, no thanks! It is just personal of course name alone isn't the factor. Company history is. A bunch of dudes playing StarCraft making a company in 2004 just don't convince me sorry...it might convince you, but then agsin you beleive anything that is put in a chart online so...

And it has a higher RMA rate because it sells 10X more duh!

That ias like saying USA has a higher crime rate then Canada, well of course it does. It has 10X more people to commit crime! If you are going to link to statisitcs, at least tell the whole story, not just the one that makes your stance look good. Do you think we are all idiots or something?

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wonderful, statistics accepted by everyone suddenly doesn't meet the great maleficarus standard, oh my.

Did you finish tenth grade? This is an honest question because it seems that you missed an entire section that deals with ratios, percentages, etc.

Because they sell more (according to you) does not change the statistic unless a greater portion of the amount sold are defective.

Example:
    G.Skill - 100 sold, 20 defective = 20% failure rate
    Corsair - 500 sold, 100 defective = 20% failure rate

Failure rates are not determined only by the amount sold.

-----

To the original poster:
    Again, I just want to reiterate that as long as you buy a respected brand the odds of you getting a bad stick is extremely slim. However it does happen from time to time from any company but you should have no problem in RMA'ing it and get a replacement, usually all for free including shipping.

So to sum it up, both Corsair and G.Skill produce great RAM, buy on price/specs.

15. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I'd buy from either company, as I've used G-Skill in the past, never had a stick of theirs fail on me once, same goes for Corsair. So build quality I'd say they are equal, as both brands seemed to have done well in my book.

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    No not true at all. If you sell 10 million units vs. 1 million units and both have a 20% fail rate then that math tells me that the one selling 1million @20% is still worse!! The point is for every 10 memory sticks G.skill sells to the public, Corsair sold 100 sticks!

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I just wanted to quote this to make sure this doesn't disappear.

Can someone please explain him in a way simpler than mine about failure rates and how this math works, obviously I'm not getting across.

18. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Names on reserch! You guys act like I am some 16 year old that just discoved PC gaming due to WOW or something lol

I have been following the PC industry 10 years before most of you guys were even old enough to watch a rated R movie!

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just as long as you avoid Crucial and OCZ you're fine. I haven't RMA'd so much memory than Crucial, they just keep failing like Windows ME.

deltatux

20. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    LOL...OCZ is another one of those companys. Don't know if this is 100% true but I found this online:

"On January 11, 2011, OCZ announced that they will be discontinuing their RAM production citing poor market performance and the weakening global DRAM market. OCZ will discontinue their remaining lines of DRAM models by the end of their 2010 fiscal year on February 28, 2011"

Source wiki