Introducing FLEM - The Legacy Modder for legacy DirectX 9 and 10 cards.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AmiloMan, Jul 14, 2013.

1. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Keeping my fingers crossed :)

2. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Yes you got it, you can use any legacy driver to mod the latest non-legacy drivers.

Here is the XP tutorial for the 32bit drivers, should keep you busy for sometime.

Download ATI legacy 10.2 drivers for xp 32bit
    Download a newer driver version e.g AMD 13.4 xp 32bit drivers
    copy these 5 files from the legacy folder C:\ATI\Support\10-02_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc\Driver\XP_INF\B_95503:

ati2mtag.sy_
    ati2cqag.dl_
    ati2dvag.dl_
    ati3duag.dl_
    atikvmag.dl_

Place them in the new drivers folder e.g
    D:\AMD\Support\13-4_xp32_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF\B155812

• Modify the inf by searching for 679a.1 and replace the vendor ID with yours.
    • Search again and replace the card name with your card's name.
    • You are done Modding
    • Uninstall the old drivers and reboot.
    • Go to Control Panel/Device Manager and install your new drivers.
    • Reboot + change the resolution if necessary and you are good to go.

Advantages :You will notice improvements in all games with FPS gains and better graphics quality.Gaming has become so much better.Windows becomes more responsive and smoother. Streaming videos should be smoother too.

Disadvantages : You can't install the Catalyst Control Center for the new drivers.Use Radeon Pro instead

As with any MOD do it at your own risk.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  3. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 9600XT
    Got the BSOD again on install. Used 12.6 legacy (AMD's recommended) to mod 13.6 b2.

Error Dialog:
    AMD Catalyst Install Manager
    "Application Install: install package failure!"

Crashes installing HDMI Audio Driver, but that's well after the error. This is what happened before when I modded 13.6 beta 2 with the 13.4 beta legacy.

The path to the modded package shouldn't matter, should it? I extracted 13.6 b2 into a non-default path, and then modded.

Anyway, back to 12.11, as that's the only package that installs, and I have to have it so your tool can identify the 3850 (otherwise it's using Microsoft's VGA driver).

Any thoughts?

4. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    No the path shouldn't matter, but the files you use from the legacy drivers matters, which AGP card driver did you use?

Edit: Avoid installing the HDMI package, it is known to cause headaches. Select custom not express when installing.

If you want to experiment look for a package that has support for your specific card, no matter how old it is, even better get one from your computer manufacturers site and try those.

5. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Sorry, just realized I forgot to mention the mod I did. It was 12.6 (AMD's recommended) to mod 13.6 b2. I only used the four files needed for 32-bit mod.

Gotta love System Restore :) I'll give it one more try, and won't do the Express install.

EDIT:
    Good idea. I did grab the last driver from HIS for this card. I'll extract it and use it to mod 13.6 b2.

6. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    3850 AGP = no dice

Tried modding 13.6 b2 with the latest driver from HIS. When I did the install and got to the Customize screen, the only options available options were for the Install Manager and the HDMI Audio driver. No display driver. I tried it anyway, after unchecking HDMI Audio, but it failed to install anything.

This is what I noticed poking around the INFs
    -------------------------------------------
    from HIS's driver INF (CL_87115.inf):
    "ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP" = ati2mtag_RV630, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9515

from the modded 13.6 b2 INFs:
    "%AMD679A.1%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9515
    and the "modded by Digital_FLEM" line for the 3850 AGP

from the 12.11 mod:
    "%AMD9515.1%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9515
    and
    AMD9515.1 = "ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP"
    (same for all three INFs)

Anyway, thanks for trying to help. I confess I don't understand why even the 12.6 legacy driver and CCC fail to install, so I'm thankful for that 12.11 mod!

If you have any other ideas about how to mod 13.6 b2 to get it to work, I'm game, but I've done the basic mod using 12.6, the HIS drivers, 13.4 beta legacy... seems like a lost cause without me doing A LOT more studying.

7. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Thanks for your work! IMHO, a version without installer should also be available for casual users.

8. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Hmmm ...... Even if you used the HIS drivers files the inf should be detected when trying to install the 13.6 Beta 2. Did you by chance swap anything? or try and MOD and already modded driver? Use a clean freshly unpacked new driver package when you are modding.

Since you started off modding the wrong drivers the first time, probably you are doing something wrong.

Could you walk me through the exact steps you are doing in FLEM, and the file driver folders you are using.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  9. leshcat

leshcat Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6770
    btw, site is not working.

10. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    I've been using unmodded drivers (target and source) since that first mistake. I always use AMD's uninstall utility, then boot to Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper.

So, my last attempt used the HIS driver package, unpacked, and killed when the Catalyst Install Manager came up. Unpacked 13.6 b2 the same way. Then ran FLEM to mod 13.6 b2 using the four 32-bit files from the HIS package. After the mod completed, I uninstalled, rebooted, cleaned, rebooted and ran setup.exe from the modded 13.6 b2 folder.

Please correct me if any of those steps are wrong. Should I not uninstall first? Pretty sure it's best to uninstall and clean. I mean, that process works fine with the 12.11 mod.

I just did another mod (using what I assume are the correct steps; haven't uninstalled anything yet, just finished modding) using 13.1 legacy to mod 13.6 b2. My thought was to try a manual install of the driver, then CCC, using the method outlined here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/381231-33-legacy-32bit-graphics-driver-workaround

But I'll hold off until you reply.

11. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Did the driver install?

12. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Hey leshcat... are you the same guy who mods the switchable drivers? :)

The site is up but is very slow at times.

13. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    I think without making some change, the 13.1_legacy-13.6b2 mod will just yield the same result. That PC's busy now, but I'll try in a bit and report back.

14. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    I just looked at the supported list again and :lurk: your card is not supported, that is why you are having these install issues. Sounds like you are doing the right thing but we overlooked the supported list, sorry bud, you are outta luck.

15. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Oh, I could've sworn I saw 9515 / 3850 AGP in there. Maybe I was thinking of the 9600XT. My bad. Any chance you'll add support for the 9515 / 3850 AGP? If not, can you explain why it can't be added? Just curious.

Back to the manual hacking ;-)

16. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Yes in the future release of FLEM I could add it, it supports over 600 card variants so I figured I have most guys covered. Anyhow.. it still supports more cards than any mod tool has to date.

Your card has been noted. Happy manual modding, or just use the modded drivers from our resident modders, they are pretty good......
    Did you check out the post for manually modding your XP rig, its a few posts up.

17. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    I'll keep an eye on this thread and your site for future support.

Haven't had a chance to try the XP mod, but I really appreciate you posting it.

18. leshcat

leshcat Guest

GPU:
    AMD 6770
    Yes sir, that's the me :infinity:. Confirmed, site is up and running but ultra-slow :)

19. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Cool :cyclone:, unfortunately free hosting does that to a site, and offcourse the
    webpage un-available screens are to live for :p.

If its slow or not connecting give it some time and try again, it will connect eventually.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  20. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Seccessful MODS

Guys,I need some input from users who successfully modded the newer drivers, please post your results and specs. Screenshots would be great. Thanks.

Something like this would be awesome : -
    OS + (platform 32 or 64 bits)
    Card type
    Dev-ID

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013