Introducing FLEM - The Legacy Modder for legacy DirectX 9 and 10 cards.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AmiloMan, Jul 14, 2013.

1. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    FLEM 6 - Tool for modding new drivers for legacy DirectX 9 and 10 cards.

FLEM is a new FREE utility used for modding AMD catalyst drivers for use with older ATI legacy cards, it is a fast user friendly utility that every legacy card owner must have to keep their drivers updated.

What can FLEM do? Digital FLEM enables you to add your personalized card specific support to new AMD drivers allowing for a smooth install. It will detect your card and add all the relevant modifications necessary for you during modification. Unlike other modding tools this is not a mass modder it modifies drivers according to the GPU specification of the system that it is running on. It automatically detects your GPU and mods the driver according to your GPU specifications.

[​IMG]

***** NEW Version of FLEM(Version 6) is now available !!!

You can read the guide and grab it from here www.digitalflem.com

FLEM Version 6 Changelog :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • New feature added - Auto Mod mode with Automatic legacy file detection.
    • Added new Safe Mode with Networking fast reboot feature.
    • Performance optimizations.
    • Improved UI and User experience.
    • Various application optimizations, tweaks and bug fixes.
    Enjoy !!

As with any MOD do it at your own risk.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    somemadcaaant, OnnA and ExDeF like this.
  2. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Nice tool, thx for sharing.

3. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My only comment on this program would be to change its name :

FLEM as soon as i seen that i thought of the sticky stuff on the back of your throat when you wake up lmfao....

Who gave it that disgusting name.

4. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Good :) at least its not hard to remember, just think of morning breath....
    I came up with it, Its actually short for Fantasy Legacy Modder.

5. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Results of a proper MOD

Here are a few screenshots after modding a ATI Mobility HD 2300 - DirectX 9 card with the 13.6 Beta 2 Drivers.

The Control Center
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firefox Hardware Acceleration is now active
    . Could not use hardware acceleration using the old legacy drivers.

[​IMG]

DXVA restored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The performance of the new drivers is noticeable in gaming too, Windows feels more responsive and snappy.

6. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Any numbers to back up the claims? I would expect a driver not meant for these cards to generally perform worse in games.

7. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Its the opposite actually, the drivers work very well on the older cards, every card performs at its own peak, since these are really old cards even at its best the performance is laughable compared to the newer cards.
    Coming from the 10.2's its a huge leap in performance. Try it and see if you get any improvements in performance.... since you just got the card and you haven't used it and tested it, you wouldn't know when it is performing at its best anyway, You could have a high performance driver that works on certain games but sucks on other games. The card will have to grow with you and once you understand what makes it happy you can pick up from there.
    I would suggest that you go through all your options and pick the driver that suites your needs.
    How long are you planning to use one set of drivers ? 4 -5 years?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  8. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    I should hope I get a proper pc upgrade in the next 4yrs! But I will certainly give your little tool a shot. Admittedly I am a little skeptical, especially when I see how much work Dellon has gone through getting the 12.10 and 12.11 drivers working bug free on legacy cards.

9. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    It does take awhile to master the modding process and know which file does what. Don't expect it at first to be this magical tool that turns your legacy card into a 7990. If you follow the instructions correctly you could have a good set of drivers, the guide has basic instructions on how to get the drivers working but its not a superhigh performance guide. You would have to use files from other older legacy drivers to get a high performance mod, taking into account the game you want to play, you could mod from a previous driver fix for the game etc etc.
    Since you are new to this and the only way to find out what makes that kitty purrrr is to give a set of ready made drivers(Modded drivers) a try for a while, then use another set. Once you get the feel of your card you can begin modding. later on after using the ready made drivers you can compare their performances.
    As for the hardwork guys are putting into the drivers,YES, its alot of work and that is exactly why I made that tool, so that we don't have to go through all that everytime a new driver comes out:)

10. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 9600XT
    First off, thanks a lot for this tool. I'm very interested in using it. I've got two PCs running legacy cards: an XP box with a 9600XT (running the 10.2 drivers; the 9600XT ran fine under Win7), and a 32-bit Win7 box with a Radeon HD 3850 AGP using Dellon's latest 12.11 mod.

I've read the guide and it seems easy enough, but I've a couple questions:

1) any chance this will run on XP? I'd love to mod the 9600XT drivers using the 13.4 beta. If not, I guess I could try installing Win7 on that PC. I gather FLEM must be run on the PC for which the modded drivers are intended. No good running it on the Win7 PC with the 3850 in it, correct?

2) I think the answer is Yes, but can I use the modded 12.11 package as the legacy set for modding the 13.4 beta?

Thanks for your time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just tried registering for the forums on your site, but got an "email send" error (said the admin would be notified). Couldn't register with the same user name, so I guess it's in the database.

11. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    partial success...?

So I used FLEM to mod the 13.4 beta legacy drivers, using the modded 12.11 files copied over. I cleaned, rebooted, and then ran setup. Seemed to go OK, but the driver never actually installed. I was still on M$'s VGA. I checked the INF file (the one with 'CL' in the name), and my 3850 AGP is listed.

So I did a manual update using that INF from the unpacked 13.4 beta folder, and I've got a proper driver. I have no CCC, however, and this is the problem I had when installing the "stock" 13.4 beta, and the "stock" 13.1. This isn't a big deal for me, as I use CRU and PowerStrip to get my Sharp Aquos's native res of 1366x768. BUT I wouldn't mind having CCC installed.

The mod seemed to go OK, though one warning dialog box popped up. In short it says that the process cannot access the file "C:\...\CE156445.inf" as it is being used by another process.

I don't think I was wrong to use "CL156445.inf" for the manual driver update, but I'm not 100% sure.

Any advice, esp. re: installing CCC?

Thanks.

12. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Hey ThurstonX, sorry for the late response, its not my style.
    The tool doesn't support XP ATM but I was considering making one in the near future (as time allows)for the XP folk if there is need for it. Before everything got lost on this site a couple of days ago I had a post explaining the steps to mod a driver manually. If you are still interested in modding your XP rig then I could post another tutorial :).

FLEM only MODS the driver for the rig it is running on, but... you could pull a few things here and there(in the inf) manually to get it to work on another rig.

Haven't used the 12.11 drivers because they don't work on my card. Why don't you use the 13.4 legacy driver files as the base for the legacy driver files and mod the 13.6 beta 2 drivers which have good performance and stability, are you modding a legacy driver with another legacy driver set?

Thanks for letting me know about the forum registration issue on the site, I will get it sorted ASAP.

13. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Its not a good idea to mod a legacy driver package with the tool, you should use a normal WHQL or a Beta package to get it to work correctly. Use the legacy drivers only as the base of your legacy source files. FLEM gets cranky if you don't give it a normal driver :) that's why it didn't MOD your inf properly.

Which card don't you get the CCC to install for? Name and DEV-ID?

That seems to be a bug "process cannot access the file "C:\...\CE156445.inf"", thanks for reporting and let me know if you still get this.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  14. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    No worries.

I see I didn't understand the procedure. So basically one can use any legacy drivers to mod the latest non-legacy drivers.

Yes, please, if you could post the guide for modding on XP, I'd be grateful. That PC is so old and slow (Dell Dimension 8200 circa 2002; at least it has the 533MHz FSB! ;-) that Win7 might be wasted on it.

Thanks.

15. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Yep, that was my misunderstanding. Modding the 13.4 legacy with the 12.11-already-modded. My bad.

However, I had very bad results after using the 13.4 legacy to mod the 13.6 beta 2 package. After modding, I used AMD's uninstall utility, then booted into Safe Mode and ran Driver Sweeper. After booting back into Win7 in normal mode, I ran setup.exe from the modded 13.6 beta 2. I got an error message (the application failed to install, or something like that; nothing specific), clicked OK, install proceeded for about 5 seconds, then a BSOD.

I went through the cleaning steps again, then tried to reinstall 12.11 modded, but it BSOD'd again. In the end I used a System Restore from a couple days ago to get it back to the modded 12.11 drivers.

The device ID for the Radeon HD 3850 AGP is 9515. So far, only the 12.11 drivers work with it, but as I can restore easily now, I'm willing to try again. Any advice you can provide would be much appreciated.

Oh, I can tell you that when I modded 13.6 beta 2 with the 13.4 legacy package, that error message about the INF being in use did not appear. So that's something.

Do I need to do something specific because it's an AGP card? I'm pretty sure AMD listed at least 13.1 as being compatible with the AGP cards. I'll poke around their site some more. Should I try the "official" AGP legacy drivers (12.6) as the modder for 13.6 beta 2? 12.6 is what AMD's auto-detection tool recommends. Is 13.6 beta 2 not compatible with Win7 32-bit? It's listed on AMD's site for Win7 32-bit, but I wonder.

I'll stop with the questions.... for now ;-) Thanks a lot for your time.

Isn't beta testing fun?!!? :bugeye:

16. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Digital FLEM forums reg. problem

Tried registering again. Here are the two messages posted after clicking the REGISTER button:

Notice
    The following from address failed: digitalflem@gmail.com : MAIL not accepted from server,530,5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 530 5.5.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 u9sm35262922wif.6 - gsmtp

SMTP server error: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 530 5.5.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 u9sm35262922wif.6 - gsmtp

SMTP server error: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 530 5.5.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 u9sm35262922wif.6 - gsmtp

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warning
    Registration failed: An error was encountered while sending the registration email. A message has been sent to the administrator of this site.

17. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Yep the hoster has a crappy mailing feature,even worse since i'm a cheapskate on a free hosting plan, the site is under some maintenance.
    I setup your account you can log in with the credentials you registered with. You're good to go.

18. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    lol Beta is kewl as long as you don't run into a brick wall:bang:
    For the AGP use the AGP 12.6 legacy driver files, you are BSOD-ing because you are using regular files, try the AGP's for the AGP card. There is reason they make them separate, hope this helps.

19. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Thanks a lot.

20. ThurstonX

ThurstonX Guest

GPU:
    Will do. It's annoying, as AMD's site lists the 13.1 legacy drivers for the HD 2000-4000 series as being compatible will ALL Radeon HD AGP cards. Perhaps that's a load of crap. I also just read the hilarious thread here re: those 13.1 legacy drivers. According to some (kevsamiga, for one), a few key DLLs are the same as those in 12.6. pih!

I've got three folders set up for modding:

AMD_Catalyst_13.6_Beta2_with_12.6
    AMD_Catalyst_13.6_Beta2_with_12.11
    AMD_Catalyst_13.6_Beta2_with_13.1

each with an un-modded copy of the 13.6 beta 2 files. I figured WTH, I've got a 1 TB drive without much on it ;-)

I'll let you know how it goes.