SimCity can be modded to play offline

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2013.

1. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't get so upset over it. Lucy is just another executive with what seems like a background in marketing and corporate bull speak. She has no clue what she's on about, is completely out of touch with the consumer base and will sooner run around circles than admit to a mistake (and that's being very generous given Simcity's failings). At this point, they've spouted so many lies that adding a few more can't really dig them any deeper of a hole they're already in.

I'm actually over my initial frustrations with Simcity and haven't touched it for a couple of days. Instead, I'm getting my entertainment from this massive PR disaster that is unfolding right before our eyes. They're basically doing everything wrong. It's hilarious.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you are online now... so what is your complaint?

3. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    They ban mod discussion from costumer support usually on the idea that the mods are buggy and they'll have a harder time figuring out who's having issues from the game itself and who is having issues as the result of a mod installed. A lot of official game support sites are handled the same way.

On paper it makes sense, in practice it's stupid.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The complaint could be made that maybe he was traveling in a car, got bored, and wanted to play this game on his laptop. Because there is no internet access, he can't play.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    There always will be internet access if you willing to pay even on the moon. That's not a problem. If it's so critical to do some work or play you can have it.

6. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    Well if there ever is a offline patch or hack then I will buy SimCity but not till then. I do not play single player games online nor will I ever. Plus I do not play multiplayer ever never ever. I had been looking forward to this game untill I found out it was always online then I canceled my pre-order and will wait and see because as it is EA will not get my money until it gets a try offline mode.

7. MiMiK

MiMiK Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 7600GT
    probably going to sound stupid but... what is simcity about? i've never play this game ever, is it an mmo? or what is the objective? create cities? lol

8. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    The idea that the game can be easily modded to play offline makes it an even bigger embarrassment for EA games. I will not be buying the new SimCity. Period. Even more outrageous that they charge $60 USD for this.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This is the difference between a company I feel safe pre-ordering from and one I don't:

EA: Release buggy game that doesn't even work on Day 1, remove features and make excuses for bug. Mods are a ban offense.

Bohemia (ArmA3): Day 1 working game in Alpha. Instead of excusing bugs, opens up a bug tracker with direct connection to the game devs themselves as to work out which is the best way to solve the bugs. Mods are highly encouraged.

Guess which one I pre-ordered?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Battlefield 4.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If I wanted a game to "need" "ONLINE" to work I would go get a MMO Simcity is not a MMO. I still play the old simcity and been wating for new simcity that looks better. Only to be told I need to be online or the game dont work, all that tells me in 5 years or so when they shutdown the servers I wont be able to play the game i just bought simple cause they want to force social interaction into a game that could easily be play offline or online but isnt. that is the complaint that so many are to blind to see.

I bet the game will have more sales once people know there is hack that lets the game work offline or EA fixes there mistake and lets the game work offline. Till then I will stick to the old simcitys atlest I know i wont get "server" cant be found issue game will not work problems when they kill the servers.

Anyone that say your online now is blind and stupid to reason why need online in single player game is bad and should not speak.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    you came online just to tell me I'm stupid because I don't mind playing a game that needs to be online, when my internet is on 24/7? lol.

clearly not a game for you. oh well. btw, what is your problem with always online? are you on pay as you go internet? ok, the servers will be taken down, boo hoo, in say 5 years time I'll be playing something else anyway.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Say that again in 5 years so when the take the server down and you can no longer play that single player game you bought and have to play older verison of simcity I can make whole list of reason why too.... Like I said Blind and stupid go away and stop trolling there more legit reason as to why it dont need to be online then it needs to be and way more draw backs

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    so instead of answering my question you reply with some poor language, nice. I don't mind spending £30 on a game that lasts me 5 years. also there's no doubt there'll be a offline mod. really don't care about the things you get upset over. £30 over 5 years, lol.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I bought both :) and a few other games recently :)

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    What I don't get is what the marketting and publicity folk at EA thought they were doing when they were releasing press info about the always on feature. From the word go they have in one form or another repeatedly told us that the game could not be played offline because a portion of the game required a constant connection to allow you to play at all. Not just the actual multiplayer parts but stuff you would consider as being playable in a single player game.

What does it say about a company when they think so little of their customers that they think they can open faced lie to us and expect us not to find them out, that's basically what they have done. Considered us to be so stupid that we would not be able to find out they were talking mince.

The DRM, the poor server support, the buggy game, even if the game actually really did offload to a cloud service all of these things can be forgiven because end of the day they can be resolved but a company that has so little respect for it's customer base that it thinks it can lie and no one will find out, THAT takes an awful lot of real hard work to fix and frankly I don't think EA have it in them to fix it.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    servers have been fine for days now. and it's far from as buggy as most games on release nowadays. just look at tomb raider. utter joke for a lot of people.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Here's a crazy idea... STOP ****ING BUYING THEIR GAMES!

After their sales hit rock bottom and they can no longer blame pirates I'm sure they'll blame it on aliens and/or time-space anomalies.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Electronics Arts has said plans to turn SimCity into a single-player game were rejected early in the development of the latest version. The admission comes as players are finding ways to get round the game's need to be constantly connected. Lucy Bradshaw, head of SimCity creator Maxis, said an offline, single-player mode did not fit with its "vision" for the urban-planning game.
    She said many players preferred the multiplayer version of the game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21828799

20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    what do u mean thankfully??

we come to an age when we depend on pirates hackers thieves to play freaking games..