SimCity can be modded to play offline

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A modder managed to enable unlimited offline gameplay in SimCity with some quick changes to the game. On top of that, he also found a way to access the game's debug mode. Most of the debug features (...

SimCity can be modded to play offline

2. DeathDealer175

DeathDealer175 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
  3. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    That's how to stick it up EA!
    Well done that modder. :)

4. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    +1 I Agree !

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Good thing this isn't the EA forums then :D. Good work on that to the modder.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I might actually get the game now knowing I won't have to depend on EA's servers. I'm not really interested in playing it online - I've never played SC4 online and I easily put 50+ hours into that game.

I get the impression that the new SimCity is dependent upon neighboring cities of other players, and in a virtual world that isn't a risk I'm willing to take. This isn't real life where people actually give a damn and (should) have qualifications to run a city, and while a game isn't serious if a neighbor screws you over, it's still frustrating.

7. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Just remember people, this isn't a true full offline mode - you still need to connect to the servers to save your game (as per what the article states).

So if you want to play this offline all the time (saves being made locally) you currently can't do that.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Has the game been pirated yet? If so, many games are pirated by simulating a fake local server, in which case maybe you could actually save locally. *sigh* If I'm right, it's a shame that once again pirates get the better experience.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Game was pirated on day one. Just took a little longer for a EXE crack to appear.

10. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    Sim City REQUIRING you to be online and play it... It was bad enough for D3.

Why do people even give them their money for that kind of BS? If people were man enough to vote with their wallets, they wouldn't be stepping all over us. Stop supporting these companies, let them starve until they start treating paying customers properly again.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I voted with my wallet. I would have loved a new Sim City, just as I would have loved to play Battlefield 3, but EA practices (such as online DRM in SC and Origin on BF3) have prevented me from buying them. Same thing with Ubisoft and Blizzard. There are plenty of other games out there I can buy.

12. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    same as this there not getting my money to game i want but im not buying :wanker:

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i don't care who believes me or not, but Ocean Quingley said in this twitter, there is a screencap somewhere in simcity reddit's page that modders where allowed to freely mod the game, according to Maxis's TOS, but not to EA's TOS!

tl:dr Maxis allows modders to mod simcity, but EA does not... EA wins, customers lose, as usual!

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    show us that tweet!

15. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    @schmidtbag
    No matey it hasn't been, the save system is server side only right now and until someone mods it or EA change their mind to make it local then using the offline mod/hack means no saving.

So don't worry, pirate/thieves haven't got a better experience (thankfully).

16. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    It's cool to see the fans digging through our source files, the creativity of our mod community has always been the lifeblood of Maxis.

@SlackeyedUSMC Maxis = EA. Ocean is on record as saying we are working on exposing parts of the game to modders. Scope as yet undetermined.

michael long
    @vertexnormal
    Lead Artist @ Maxis, Working on SimCity

@SimCityModding @moskow23 I say go for it, but it'll be a little while before we can provide any support.

Ocean Quigley
    @oceanquigley
    Creative director & Art director on the new SimCity. Art directed Spore, SimCity 4, SimCity 3000. Oil painter.

[​IMG]

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    do you have a link to that reddit? or just a pic?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  19. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    http://www.ea.com/news/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy

make a petition and ask Lucy Crapshaw to resign from Maxis please! she is the reason this simcity is broken, not EA, she is the crazy one who thinks that an MMO for a city builder is a good idea, obviously she has no clue what happened to Cities XL when it was online, well that was a small company but if that game made monte cristo go bankrupt, it will surely make EA lose tons of money, maybe they will resign Lucy and slap themselves on the face!

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this is hope for the game if we can some how play off line with outthe stupid EA BS of "IT"needs to be "online"