Sony announces the Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by deltatux, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    We are not complaining, we are stating facts.
    The problem is - no single CPU can use such bandwidth, even Intel's Xeons. And here we talk about some AMD Jaguar CPU - a rather "underpowered" CPU from all points of view.
    Acually I really wonder how will they make it's CPU to work with it in the first place... GDDR5 is no DDR3... will be interesting too implementation though.

So to continue my though - much of the bandwidth will be used by GPU part (where GDDR5 is already used for quite some time), and in this case we have a rather mid-range GPU...

So taking all in account we have a strange PC with weak CPU, mid-range GPU, some unknown OS... and are told this is going to be cool...

Nah! my current old build is actually cooler than that.

2. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100
    The hardisk it’ll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive ?

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It might look basic on paper compared to a PC, but you don’t compare it spec for spec, the fact people on here have to keep being told that is embarrassing.

You can do a lot more with fixed hardware than with a PC, not to mention all the performance killing OS and driver problems that PC gaming brings.

Having to support low and medium spec PC’s will always hold back the high end, there is a possibility that even when the next gen consoles are out the PC version will be a port from the last gen game.

8GB of ram is more than enough for 1080p for many years, there is no way more will be needed in a fixed environment.

The fact it they are claiming it takes a $3500 PC to run the same tech demos as a likely $500 console is a joke and just shows how broken and inefficient the PC is as a gaming platform.

I can see me being done with PC gaming until I get a 4k TV, as for 1920x1080 I just don’t think there will be any point buying a PC, especially when no one wants to make exclusives anymore.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Not excited until there is a new Disgaea game on it.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Ok, that´s all very nice, now can you release GT6 please!?

6. Dragam

Dragam Guest

GPU:
    Msi gtx 680 sli
    It didnt occur to you that sony are just full of ****? -_-'

It WONT perform like a ****ing 3500 $ pc... it will more likely perform like a 500 $ pc...

7. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Does the hardware really matter as long as it does what it was designed for? Sure, it would be all kinds of awesome if they threw an octa Xeon and two Titans in there, but what would be the point of that.

8. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Ask any dev the problem with pc gaming.

Drivers/directx.

Which is why PC needs brute force. Most of it not optimized.

Best looking games around at the moment.

BF3
    CRYSIS3
    MOH WARFIGHTER - DICE/BF3 etc's engine.

Whether or not you have a beefier rig now.

What do you think you can run that the PS4 could not.

No game uses more then 2gb now.

As for textures in games, they look pretty good now.

The most advancement I want in games is lighting,shadows/shaders/ for graphics.

But physics need to come along way.

There are not enough games that push pc's now.

But as everyone knows, it comes down to games.

If PS4 has games you want, you'll buy. If it does not. you won't.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nonsense, a $500 PC can barely run a game ported from the PS3 lol.

The demos from Epic, Square Enix and especially Capcom will all make it to the PC, but they will all need about $1000 on GPU power alone.

How about the new 3D Mark? Impressive looking but not as impressive as any of the PS4 demo's, and on my GTX570 i get around 15fps in that, so i would at least 4 times as much GPU power to run that at 60fps.

Maybe i'm getting old, but i'm getting bored with throwing money at this brute force way of gaming and it's never going to change while there is so much money to be made from it.

xg-ei8ht, well Sony did mention GPU physics would now be playing a big part in the PS4, GPU Havok was confirmed and if UE4 is there i'm sure GPU PhysX could also make an appearance.

10. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    I agree entirely.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The PS3 wasn't running a unified shader architecture. There was definitely a lot of engine design choices that needed to be made in order to accommodation for that, lack of memory and it's processor. Those design changes don't exactly port over nicely to hardware that is nearly the exact opposite of that.

People like to think that its' because console games are closer to hardware or something. That's not really the problem, it's all the targeted hardware optimization that screws PC users over.

Now that the PS4 is X86 on a normal GPU with DX11 support, the hardware is way more similar to a PC than it ever has been. Porting games will be significantly less time consuming which will hopefully mean more time spent on developing better keyboard and mouse controls and interface changes.

I think it's going to get a lot better personally.

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    There was a point to upgrading your PC a few years back. These days there is little point in doing so. Nothing really pushes the hardware anymore. Developers don't care about doing so because they can make more money on consoles. With the PS4 and Xbox soon to be released, PC gaming is going to look even more pointless. Sad but true.

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    don t forget witcher 2

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Your logic makes no sense to me.

I agree with you that developers can make more money on consoles and because consoles are the lowest denominator it's best to develop for them and work up if you can.

Where I stop following you is how the PS4 and Xbox will make PC gaming more pointless.

PS4 and rumored Xbox specs make them PCs essentially. The cost associated with porting your game for a PS4 to a PC is considerably lower than to go from a PS3 to a PC. So why wouldn't developers go that small distance for extra revenue from the PC? I mean if they really are all about money, they can literally push a button and put their game on the PC and have an entirely new market.

15. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    This is so true it hurts. I'm fed up of it too. Wish they would write software to use the PC down to the metal as they say.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh most games are written in C++ which is about as close to the hardware as you're going to get without inflating development time to decades.

I think the problem with PC gaming is best shown by the character of people posting in this thread. It's nearly impossible to please people. Create a game like Crysis years ahead of it's time and it's "unoptimized". Create a game that caters to all and it's a "console port".

Also people need to recognize that there are diminishing returns on graphics. Just because a 690 has double the TFlops of a PS4 doesn't mean the the graphics of an optimal game will be double. You can't just keep throwing polygons at the screen and expect better image quality. It's going to plateau and it has been for sometime -- especially as costs of development are now exceeding hollywood movies.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That is kinda my point, the next gen consoles could make it that unless you game higher than 60hz and 1920x1080 a PC will offer you nothing more than a greater choice of control methods, while that is clearly a good thing, for many it won’t be enough considering the huge amount extra you will be paying.

Even game prices won’t matter now that it’s confirmed Sony won’t be blocking used games, I don’t think COD games are as terrible as people say, but I do think for a SP gamer then are terrible value so I haven’t played one in years.
    On a console you could buy it on a Friday, and then trade it back in on the Saturday or Sunday for around 75% what you paid for it, same situation if you buy something and find out you don’t like it.
    Make that mistake on the PC and your stuck with it.

Denial, you’ve been telling people the thing about diminishing returns for a while now, not many seem to be taking it in though.
    Even pre-rendered CG movies have barely changed over the last decade.

18. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Good points well made. PC gamers are a stroppy lot!

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    In all honestly, the only reason PC gaming has been seen as a pinnacle, or perhaps the best choice for gaming. Was how advanged the graphics were compared to consoles. Now, this has been wiped out. Or so it appears when looking at the tech demos for the PS4.

I might be very wrong, as it's just my personal feelings after the PS4 conference.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Think it’s unfair to say graphics are the only thing PC gaming has going for it, if you’re a big fan of shooters, then mouse/kb controls will still be the main draw for PC gaming, and if you’re a tweaker then mods are always a pleasure to deal with.

If you’re into 120hz, 3D or triple screen gaming then PC gaming also offers the best experience, but those are quite niche markets.