nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Interesting, thanks for the in-depth explanation.

2. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Good news everyone!

Here is SweetFX 1.0

New:
    • DirectX10/11 support! (SMAA can't be switched off yet in the DX10/11 version)
      Like with InjectSMAAmod (which SweetFX can now completely replace) you do not need to decide what version you need to use. Just copy all the files into the game folder and the game will load the correct one.
    • Changes and improvements to the Sepia, Tonemap and Vignette shaders.
    • Tweaks to the default settings of SMAA, HDR, Sepia, Tonemap and Vignette.
    • New setting for Vignette - VignetteSlope. It determines the distance from the center to when the vignette starts fading to black. You need to balance the VignetteRadius setting with this setting. Typically when you increase VignetteSlope you need to decrease VignetteRadius.
    • New shader effect - Vibrance. It should work like Digital Vibrance in your drivers settings and increase the saturation more for colors that are weak and less for colors that are already strong. It needs more work though. Currently I think it increases saturation for weak colors and decreases it for strong colors. It's still a nice effect - it's just not what I was trying to achieve. Bug or feature? - you decide.
    • Different keymapping. INSERT now toggles SweetFX ON and OFF and DELETE reloads the shader files. Using the pause button was annoying in some games because it also paused the game - Insert should not do that. Few games use the Insert button so I doub't it will cause any conflicts.
      Using delete to reload the shader files is very useful when tweaking a game running in windowed mode. It makes tweaking much easier. I've updated the tweaking instructions in the SweetFX_readme with a new guide on how to easily tweak your settings.
      The injector.ini file now also includes a link to a webpage listing all the keycodes so you don't have to guess should you wish to remap your keys.

Shortcomings of SweetFX 1.0:
    • SMAA can't be turned off in DX10/11 (most people will want this on, so it's not a big problem)
    • LumaSharpen still sharpens the anti-aliased edges. Edges are still smoother than without anti-aliasing but if you want absolutely smooth edges try turning LumaSharpen off. I hope to fix this soonish but no promises - It'll be done when it's done.
    • The new Vibrance effect doesn't work quite as intended.
    • I haven't had time to try and optimize the shaders for speed, but now that most things more or less work I might take some time to do that. Again no promises.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. wisebear

wisebear Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Duke
    Thanks CJ, very good news indeed! :)

4. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Thankyou Wisebear.

5. mypc

mypc Guest

thanks dude now we can play with smaa

6. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Well you could do that before with the earlier beta versions too - but now you can do it in DX10/11 !

7. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Cool beans. Time to try out the the Vibrance with Fallout NV.

Nice work CeeJay!

Bat

8. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Remember that you can also switch on a working digital vibrance from the Nvidia control panel and if I recall correctly also from AMD's CCC.
    But it's a system setting and I know of no way to enable it per game - Which is why I made this shader.

9. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    :) That' the first thing I do when I re-install/install drivers. I reset and tune the vibrance, gamma, brightness, and contrast via CCC and Window's internal settings.

The per-game color/gamma tweaking that the FXAA Injector allowed was one of the main reasons I used the program. Like you said, I can brute force a setting that looks great for work and browing as a whole via the CCC, but that overall setting doesn't quite work for certain games. The ability to tweak it without resetting you overall settings via that tool, and now with SweetFX, is awesome.

Anyways, I like the Vibrance shader. It does a lot to help balance out the washed-out effect the Technicolor application can cause. It does effect overlay text somewhat, but nothing bad like overdone FXAA or AMD's horribad MLAA.

A little bit of Vib, some Technicolor, a dash of Tonemapping, with the LumaSharpen, and Fallout NV has a much, much richer pallette.

Works and looks real good. Nice job.

Bats

10. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870

11. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    I had forgot all about them.. DOH! I tried them way back when I first got FNV and they destroyed my little old 5770. Might have to re-try them and see how much time I can *not* play the game and instead fiddle around their settings instead.

I already spent at least 2x the time editing armor sets, textures, and mashing mods together then actually playing the game. Still, in-game fiddling with the color sets would be nice :)

Bats

12. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    Is this working with BF3? I tried it out and it didn't work for me.

13. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Different keymapping. INSERT now toggles SweetFX ON and OFF and DELETE reloads the shader files..

well im pressing insert or delete, but nothing happens, its still ON only.

EDIT.: hmm perhaps its because Rift is actually not only DX9, then it would make sense it cant be switched OFF.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  14. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    No, you should be able to turn all the effects on and off in both DX9 and DX10/11 - It's just that you can't disable SMAA currently in the settings of the DX10 version and still use the other effects.

For DX10 it's either SMAA on or everything off.

In some games you need to hold down the right button a little longer, because it doesn't always register the button if you tap it quickly.
    Or perhaps you need to press it again. I know that for me, in NFS: Hot Pursuit (2010) the button doesn't always take, so i have to try again sometimes.

If that doesn't work try changing the key back to PAUSE in injector.ini.
    It should be obvious how to do so, but if it isn't write again and I'll write a little tutorial.

15. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Indeed hold down of INSERT was needed, but anyway its not much usable, because after like 2 seconds it goes OFF but immediately ON again. Clicking repeatedly quickly INSERT button does nothing.

16. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I don't have BF3 so I can't test that, but I know that some BF3 modders use FXAAtool to tweak BF3 and if it works with the InjectFXAA injector in FXAAtool then it should work with the InjectSMAA injector that I use in SweetFX because InjectSMAA is based on the InjectFXAA source code.

Try FXAAtool and see if that works for you and let me know, whether it works or not.

17. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    Amazing work CeeJay ! I'm using SweetFX in a lot of games and they are more gorgious than ever. Thank you so much.

However is there a way to use SweetFX AND D3DOverrider at the same time ? They conflict each other and only SweetFX remains active (the same happens with InjectFXAA/InjectSMAA). I'm asking that because I would like to use SweetFX with Darksiders 2, but unfortunately this game requires D3DOverrider to fix its broken Vsync setting... I'm playing on a NVIDIA GTX 480 based PC (drivers 305.68 Windows 7 x64) if this can help finding a solution (forcing Vsync in the driver control panel doesn't work for Darksiders 2, only D3DOverrider does the job).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  18. Black Mesa

Black Mesa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560SE 1gb
    IMHO nvidias FXAA is busted it looks like blurry crap but that FXAA injector for Skyrim makes my 1050P monitor look like it is displaying in "Full HD" !

19. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Is there another download link for SweetFX, for some reason I cannot retrieve the file

20. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    There u go mate...its my Backup Folder, hehe...
    Newest Version it is..SweetFX 1.0..

also, i did now get it all..If u got into the settings and played around with em, Understand em, then u really can make nice stuff, hehe..

it also works on Video Players, lol..not that i need it cause i use madvr, but still nice to play around with.

Here are some Screens, Before and after..from teh Game "Unmechanical"
    (Used Technicolor, Modified Vignette, sharpen and smaa...i think, lol..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full Res PNGĀ“s:
    ------------------

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

@ CeeJay.dk

Can it be the SMAA isnt working good? i mean teh aa option of it..sharpen is fine and all. But i really dont see any diff in Antialiasing, but could also be the game..

Also, The HDR effect is a little overdone ATM, it was better before i think..it makes teh scene way to dark now..(just my opinion)

Do u plan to import more effects?
    Like cartoon shader and stuff? If u are interested, i have a whole folder full of shader codes...:infinity:

Anyway, Keep it up mate..:nerd:

Edit:

Just a quick question..

Did u, by any chance, tested ur sweetFX also with League of Legends?

Cause a friend has this game and i showed off ur SweetFX, he wanted it , so i explained everything and he tested it..he and his friend..Now it worked once but after that the game refused to run..or it didnt work..And im kinda clueless right now.

Any help would be nice :)

I formyself have no Prob, SweetFX works on mostly all games i have tested now..Just BF3 i didnt test, teh last time i tested smaa with bf3, the HUD wasnt there and i couldnt klick anything in teh game menue..so nogo..
    Gonna test ur SweetFX on BF3 later on..wish me luck,, cause i want that for BF3..i cant have aa, to much drop, but smaa could do the trick :)

greetz BetA

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012