Intel Haswell to be easier to overclock

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Moegames

Moegames Guest

Eh i just sold my 3570k for a 3770k ..just for the 8mb of cache and the 8 hyperthreads, plus i got a good deal on selling my 3570k and got a good deal on using that money towards a new 3770k....i am completely fine at 4.4 and 4.6ghz which i can achieve on air cooling with my new 3770k chip...and like i mentioned..i really wanted the extra hyper threading and the added mb's to the cache for future gaming...wanted a cpu that will last me a while and now knowing that Haswell wont be introducing any new consumer based proc's with more than 4 cores besides their extreme line of cpu's..i am definitely not jumping up for joy for haswell because as it stands its not really a huge jump over i7 IB chips honestly...heck in terms of gaming including 1st and 2nd gen core chips and current 3rd gen ivy bridge chips...they will be more than enough to handle anything thrown at them with these next gen games coming out. I believe the i7 chips will really begin to benefit with the hyper threading though....that was the reason for me swapping out my 3570k for the 3770k...so im set and so is anyone else with a 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen icore chip when we are talking about gaming "UNLESS" you are currently in the market for a new build i suggest to wait for haswell as its just right around the corner but overall...i just think the hyper threading chips will see a benefit in the near future..it already does with the first next gen game to come out which i feel Crysis 3 truly is when you see that game running with all maxed out settings...its above and beyond any other game to date visually and i seen a 15 frame rate increase from my 3570k to my new 3770k chip...i am not sure if the more cache played the biggest role in the increase or the extra threading...but from what i've read around many various computer hardware forums...its the hyperhreading that Crysis 3 uses as an advantage for performance increases.

I didnt see any frame rate difference from 4.4ghz to 4.6ghz though..so im sticking with 4.4ghz with my 3770k for now.

I will be passing up on Haswell and will upgrade in 2-3 years later..heck anyone with a 1st gen i7 cpu are fine compared to what these new consoles will have under their hood so the next gen console to pc ports with current PC cpu's are fine and more than enough ....so anyone worried about their Intel icore chip...got nothing to worry about...keep in mind im just talking aboug being able to play next gen games..im not talking about having the best benchmark scores,etc...im personally not interested in that..i just want my rig to be able to play next gen games fine....i think most of in here are like-minded and as it still stands true today..the GPU still plays the bigger role in it all anyways...lol thats why i got ride of my 7870 and picked up a sapphire dual-x 7970 which is OC'd to 1150core/1600memory....it can go higher but i dont like having to push my voltage on the gpu past 1.3 volts which is what i gotta do to get 1200core

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Moegames

Moegames Guest

PS i sorta had to crack up when i read the title "Intel Haswell to be easier to overclock" lol

Some nice thought-out PR there

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Easier? I didn't know it was hard to overclock.

4. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    The market is really pointing in a different direction. It's smaller bumps in performance in constantly smaller form factors.

5. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    It's the lack of competition like you mentioned that is holding greater increases in cpu performance back.And your right about feeling like 1 step above Nehalem.
    If only Amd's 8 core cpu's were on par or outperformed Intel's core i7 cpu's on per clock performance i am sure we would be seeing greater increases than 10 to 15% each generation.

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Plus higher efficiency, but I guess that comes along with smaller form factors.