Limiting Gpu usage with fah?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by must_kill_ati, May 7, 2013.

1. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Back in the day when I was folding, there wasn't a stable way to limit a gpu's usage. You either ran it 100% full on folding, or didn't fold. Is it still that way today? How would one limit the gpu to say, 50% like you can with cpus?

My gpus screaming at me during the day is a deal breaker. If I can figure out how to run them at a lower usage, thereby lowering temps, I'd be able to fold again.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    There isn't any Usage control because there isn't one on the Driver level (AFAIK). However, could you add the following option via FAHControl in the GPU Slot
    <gpu-usage v='50'/>

and see what happens?

3. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Tbh, I was hoping to be lazy and find an easy yes or no answer. Having stopped folding long ago, I'm interested in restarting enough to ask the question.

I guess, I'll have to man up and install the client to find out! Will report back.

*It appears to be a no-go on the go-slow. Several attempts either did nothing (100% usage) or resulted in
    [​IMG]

I see your (non)evil plan at work here, though. Make me install the client, knowing I'll leave it running... ;)

4. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Looks like I'm going the headphones route. It does indeed change the gpu usage for a bit, but then it goes back to full. This is a view of my afterburner monitor window. If you look at the usage bar, you can see it while I was adding the command line (idle), for a couple mins after it started (80ish%), when it decided IT was the boss, and then back to 80%ish after i reentered the command (after which it resumed 100%).
    I don't think I'll give up, but I don't expect you to nurse this thread.
    [​IMG]

6. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Just...:approval:

Going to try GPU usage and report back. Currently running a single reference card on air, so...loud.

EDIT: Didn't work. Added "client-type: advanced" too, before I added "gpu-usage: 50"

Running 7970.

EDIT2: OP, lower your 3D clocks. Should achieve same result. You can then undervolt too (be careful, instability), achieving even lower power consumption, heat, and fan noise.

8. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I attempted that this morning, after reading the advice I got on the Geforce forum. All it did for me was run 100% gpu usage, fan still as high, and return less PPD, lol.

I'm not done with this topic by a long shot... something will work.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes, of course, it WILL run 100% GPU usage (the GPU is slower now); however, the fan speed should be lower. I got to 800MHz @ 1050mV (didn't try more) on my 7970 and it ran quite cooler at a lower fan speed.

Underclock your VRAM as far as it goes, that should help even more.

10. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Oh, that's sad since I have a report that this did work for GTX 480 (http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=241934#p241934) and was hoping that somehow, it would also work for your GPUs too.

Strange, it works where a donor doesn't want it and doesn't work where donors need it :confused: