Beginner Laptop overclocking

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by eedls3m, Feb 12, 2009.

1. eedls3m

eedls3m New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9650m GT 1 GB
    Hello..
    i have very little knowledge about overclocking and i was seeking help:

i have a laptop Asus x72vn // GeForce 9650 (DDR2) 1 GB //
    4 GB memory //VistaPremium // Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 Ghz

i installed Rivatuner and i was surprised first that to access the video card settings i have to click on the customize button below (next to the box "Forceware detected") ..unlike what i have seen on the internet..

THen i dont have a "Fan" box to change fan frequency ..

i was wondering by how much should i overclock my graphic card ..

the default settings are (for performance 3D):
    Core Clock: 400 Mhz
    Shader Clock: 800Mhz
    Memory Clock: 400 Mhz

Maximum is : 600 Mhz core and memory clock

1.Should i always keep core clock and memory clock at the same frequency or is there more efficient settings?

2.Should i change settings in the Overlay or Compatibility box ?

3.I suppose that i don't need to change settings for low power 3D (wich i can't anyway) and standart 2D right?

4.Why can't i change my fan frequency?

I have been putting the following settings : 521/1042/525

5. I checked and after nearly 30 mins of playing gta 4 the temperature of my GPU was 70 degrees Celsius
    Is that ok .. can i go further ? (i heard that laptops can bear up to 100 degrees celsius)

btw gta 4 works pretty good and fluidly (with textures set on high) ..

6. everytime i run rivatuner it sais : Warning! RivaTuner has not been tested with the currently installed display driver although i have the latest version:
    v2.22

8.Is there different combinations of Core Shader and Memory clock frenquencies specific to each game ?

9.finally what other programs can i use to increase my laptop's performances?

THere are a lot of questions but beleive me you will be helping alot of beginners like me.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

3. eedls3m

eedls3m New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9650m GT 1 GB
    but in the link u gave me its not the same graphic card ... plus i really think its for advanced users

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No the same card, but point is the same: RivaTuner doesn't provide support for moblie GPUs and probably never will.

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Not to be mean or anything, but you'd have to be crazy to want to overclock a laptop. Their cooling solutions suck as it is, and you want to push the limit even further? I mean, if something overheats in your laptop, thats it. You have to take it to the computer repair or whatever to replace whatever you killed, unless you can do that yourself. I just wouldnt overclock. Thats why they make desktops. They have enough room for a big cooler that can cool monster processors. Just, dont expect performance out of a laptop. They are only for convenience.

6. CommandrX

CommandrX Guest

I 100% agree with the above post. Pushing your laptop's system is going to cause a lot pain in your pocket book when components fail due to heat stress. For example I had a XPS in a couple months a go for video failure. The replacement graphics card cost $599 and that was not an upgrade either.

So ask yourself is it going to be worth it for 10-15 FPS?

7. eedls3m

eedls3m New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9650m GT 1 GB
    i told u i was a newbie!
    plus i was thinking that as long as i have the warranty i will try my luck ..
    do u think 70 degrees celsuis can cause heat stress ?
    is there any other program for laptop overclocking ?
    can anyone still tell me wut r the recommended settings (core shader and memory clock frenquecies) ..

8. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    70c is already pretty high, and as others have stated laptops are not meant to be overclocked. even a slight oc will create even more heat and burn something out since there is little room to dissipate heat. even if you did oc you probably wouldnt see that much of an increase in FPS and it is totally out weighed by the risks. if you want to oc get a desktop.

9. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    I was looking into oc'g my (Clevo) lappy awhile ago. Turned out I couldn't cuz my bios is locked (like a lot of lappys), but I know some guys have had success tho the risks are clear. But you'd definitely need a cooler if you wanted to try. (I use an NZXT and it's pretty good.)

I'm not saying it would be a good idea. From my research it seemed that, in lappy land, the way to eek out more performance may be via undervolting your components not overclocking them. You might want to check out that angle.

Iirc, the forum on this website has some good info on tweaking notebooks:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I honestly dont know any company that will replace something for free after being overclocked. Its modification. Its like you, buying a 4 door car and turning it into a 2 door car and trying to get the manufacturer to work on it after the modification. Seriously, dont overclock. Get a nice cheap desktop and overclock that. You'd see huge performance improvements from a laptop. Its almost impossible for a laptop to be better than a desktop because they have to make everything small and consume low amounts of power! and... once again, the cooling sucks!

11. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    +1 to all the above...DINNY DEE IT!!!

i know it may be cold and you`re in need of a lap warmer, but, don`t overclock and use the money you`ve just saved not having to buy aonther laptop, on a Lap dance!!!!

cheaper, safer,.....well.........lol

12. eedls3m

eedls3m New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9650m GT 1 GB
    lol on last post ...
    and thanks for the link KevKiev ...

seriously u guys i spent the whole week-end testing stuff .. and my overclocking is only increasing the temperature by 5-7 degrees (celsuis) from normal ...

i dont have money to buy a desktop .. i will tho in a year and a half so i have to hang on till then ..

So i decided i'm buying a cooling kit

my question is : is 3 fans flat kit better than one fan with an incline angle ?? (finally a question someone may answear)

and its weird but when i use nvidia system tools the default Core Clock Frenquecy is set on 550 MHz whereas on RivaTuner it is 400 MHz
    ??

13. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  14. eedls3m

eedls3m New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9650m GT 1 GB
    Too bad u r not allowed man ! that sux
    specially when u seem to know ur stuff .. unlike me

i was reading posts from the forum u showed me but i didnt understand(too tough for me): can undervolting increase graphics performances ?

btw maybe u can help me also with this : i ran driver scan and it sais that the following drivers needed update:
    mobile intel 45 Express Chipset series Processor to DRAM controller - 2A 40
    mobile intel 45 Express Chipset series PCI express root port - 2A 41
    intel wifi link 5100 agn

does that have to do with BIOS updating ?
    i heard its dangerous .. can u guide me

15. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    um.... :D not so much, actually. i'm usually the guy looking for assistance

I can get by, with help, but I'm especially unfamiliar with tweaking lappies. Gotta admit that, when I ran into the bios changing stuff on that website, I bailed as well (and became a bit happier with my stock settings:p).

I'm sure someone can help you out tho:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009

16. eedls3m

eedls3m New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9650m GT 1 GB
    apparently no one would want to help :(

Anybody knows if a flat surface cooling kit with 3 fans is better than a cooling kit with one fan and an incline angle ??

i was continuing my research and this is wut i came up with: increasing memory clock frenquency made quite a difference in gaming experience with very little temperature changement: in gta4 the screen doesnt stutter no more ... from times to times it still seems a bit stuck for a split second .. still better than stuttering !

anyone sees the same effect ?

17. messe1

messe1 New Member

GPU:
    Mobile 9600GT GDDR3
    mobile 9600GT DDR

I have an Acer with 9600GT GDDR3, without any overclocking it reached 81 degrees for the GPU. I bought a cheap notebook cooler from coolermaster that lowered the GPU temp with 2 degrees. I started OC. At 620 core clock,1000 memory and 1300 shader it reached 86 degrees and gave me a black screen during 3dMark. Now I stay at 550 with 900 an the GPU stays under 83 degrees. The room temperature is around 27 degrees. Still for 10% in performance I don't think it's worthing, I'll stop trying anything else before I burn it (I must admit that scoring more than 7100 points in 3DMark felt good because is better than 8800 GTX witch was more expensive, still the risk of damaging other components is very high. The CPU, GPU and memories work until 100 degrees but the other components like HDD will be damaged because they are very close to the hot spots. They just don't have enough space in a notbook between the components that work at high temps and the other componets that are more heat sensitive.