Consoles dictate PC gaming now *rant*

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Serotonin, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Hear me out.

I put this in the consoles section because most of you HERE in this sub forum do both, game on a console and a PC, like myself.

If I put this in the PC section it wouldn't get an unbiased look without trolls running rampant without even hearing my point.

PC's used to be the place to go for some great exclusives, some PC exclusive games came to consoles much later (sometimes years) and were never as good. Doom, Diablo, Warcraft just to name a few. PC had it's base. Console ports were never well recevied on PC. PC gamers had their own titles. Developers couldn't resist the potential $$ to be made on PC (funny to write that with how things are these days) and would put ports out from time to time. I remember the first Turok from n64 being ported over and it was a buggy mess on ATI rage pro. Wasn't very fun either.

Anyways. Fast forward to today. One thing, even as the PC Gamer I am, one thing that continuously irks me is hearing other PC Gamers claim how powerful their PC's are, even nVidia came out 2 weeks ago talking about how powerful their cards are vs. ps4/xbox one. Great. Awesome. Kudos. But, what's the point in owning a racing car that you simply drive to work and back?

Consoles dictate PC's these days. PC exclusives are not what they were. Small titles here and there but the muscle has all but been eaten off the bone. PC's depend on console ports now. The box that frowned on them now needs them more than ever. Gimmick ports I call them. You get the port with a few extra textures and a higher resolution and that's supposed to justify your annual $600 video card (assuming you don't do sli). For what?

PC games will look no different until developers make headway with consoles power and start releasing engines on them. Take Ubisofts newly shown off engine for the Rainbow Six game ....nice looking engine, looks "next-gen", but until ubisoft releases it on ps4/xbox one, PC will sit and wait. PC has the power to be doing games like that now, absolutely, but the support to put a game on PC before a console or a PC exclusively just isn't there anymore. So again, what does all that power get you? In the waiting line to play it " a little better".

I'm just tired of gamers and companies mouthing off about how superior PC's are to even these new consoles when in reality, these consoles are what dev's focus on and then throw a bone to PC gamers with a port - a fully working one if they really want to impress.

Where is nvidia sending a statement out bragging out "well...Tomb Raider didn't work very well for 3 months there and TressX...whoops, we blew that one, and when it gets released on those inferior machines next year it will just be ps4/xbox one doing what the PC has already done, y'know, except it will work right out of the case and all...if you like that sort of non buggy gaming then go consoles I guess lolz"

I'm just fed up with "we have more power". Yes, you do and you can't do jack squat with it until consoles make games for you to play on your PC. Except those pesky exclusive games that PC lacks. Then they stay mum. "Uncharted and God of War sucks" really? And you've never played it, yet feel this way?

/rant

2. ALPINEST4RS

ALPINEST4RS Guest

GPU:
    Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
    mantle.

but seriously, times are changing and consoles are becoming far more advanced in gaming. Not only that but also other apps with it as well. (Netflix, ect.)

Console gaming is much more friendlier and family orientated. Hell, my gf won't touch a game on my pc, but she'll fire up GTA 5. haha.

To be honest, its all about the cream of the crop. (Money).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I take no joy in saying this but you are 100% right.

PC gaming isn't dead but it has seen better days for sure.
    Consoles are where the money and development focus are, nothing will change that.
    PC will shine though but it will remain second place in the eyes of AAA publishers.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is this thread really necessary? We all know how it will end.

Badly.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I take no joy in it either. I've been a PC gamer since 1991. But I just had to voice my opinion on it. I appreciate your honesty. :)

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Well that's why I didn't put it in the "pc gaming" section. Hopefully to keep the torch at bay.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh i don't know, there could be a almigty swing real soon back to pc gaming if these new consoles continue to add paywall after paywall to their games, i just saw the bs they have just pulled with NK2 by patching in paywall features after the game has been in the open and in peoples homes, which leads me to believe this is going to become the norm on these next gen consoles, and that's something i personally have no intrest in supporting, and i personally see it as a pre-cursor to games being developed so that paywall features become almost impossible to ignore in games.

Us gaming peasents could soon be revolting all the way back to the pc if things continue.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Now? Consoles have always dictated PC gaming. Where have you been at for the last 8 years?

9. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Consoles are the focus of the game industry because console gamers dont have any control. Features are easily taken away (bit by bit every year) whereas PC users will just hack their way around everything.

The game industry is simply trying to make more money. It's greed.

If they can force a bad game down the throat of the gamers they will do so. Gamers out of options will gladly pay for eveything and so fund their own doom.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The 'next gen' (well, really current gen now) consoles aren't likely to last as long as the last consoles, they will have to be updated more frequently. This is not an attractive option for Microsoft or Sony, so either gaming will start to decline all together... or PC gaming will start to pick up again. Mantle is probably the best thing to come to PC gaming for a long time, it's not just about the performance increase, but it is supposedly easier to program for different hardware configurations. Of course, this is more so in the future as development progresses on it. The Nvidia OpenGL enhancements on the other hand really only benefit Nvidia (Nvidia can use Mantle if they really wanted, which they don't!), and those enhancements don't address the compatibility and ease of making stuff for different system configurations as Mantle does.

Who knows, hopefully in a few years we will see Mantle only games on PC (no DirectX, OpenGL), because DirectX and OpenGL is what is really a detriment to PC gaming. It's currently too difficult to make it compatible with all different configurations, and get it right.

11. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Seriously though, HOPEFULLY IN A FEW YEARS!?!? can it go any slower!? lol

It's utterly pathetic! in a few years we should be using fkn holodecks... instead we are (likely) stuck with 'NEXT GEN' consoles with fkn mechanical hard disk drives clunking away taking 2 minutes to load a fkn low res map and dribbling over trying to hold 30FPS at 720p

This is the ****test current generation I could have possibly imagined for 2014.

I hate that I enjoy gaming because it really is a joke on all levels and all platforms.

Frostbite is the only HALF decent thing to happen in the last few years... still very average for 2014 but seems pretty impressive what with how utterly scheisse everything else is.

The trouble is that time is money, so quite simply, the more powerful PC's are, it simply means developers need to make less effort, not that they make the same epic efforts as they do on consoles and simply get far far greater results on a PC, I have given up on PC's and tbh I am only hanging onto this one because I have some games I enjoy on it, like SKYRIM, Borderlands 1/2, RAGE, bunch of others as well that I cannot play on my Xbox One, and on the MINIMAL CHANCE mantle delivers anything at all I have a couple of half decent AMD cards at the ready.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  12. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ah dont worry about it. PC is like an expensive car, you love it, you spend loads on it and it drives nice and fast, when console is just an average car, it does the same as super car(gets you from A to B) but no eye candy etc! if that makes sense haha

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    It does make sense but disagree. The sheer quality of some games on consoles has made me not even play a game on my PC in over a year!! And I don't miss all the graphic drivers issue for one minute! I'll take gameplay over graphics any day of the week but you get that AND the eye candy on the PS4 and Xbox One. Then there's the whole social aspect - I met so many people online playing the Last of US MP - something that never happened when playing online on PC.

Just because you spend so much money on a PC doesn't mean the games are going to be any better. It seems that some people just need to justify the fact that they've spent so much money on their PC that they'll bash consoles to make themselves feel better.

By the way, totally agree with the OP.

14. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Kickstarter.

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Call me cynical or just consider me exposed to empty promises before (Microsoft comes to mind when they claim they're resupporting pc gaming and as fast as they announce that they fade away again) but I have ZERO faith in Mantle.

Several reasons.

1.) Consoles do not support it, so it may make a port easier to bring to PC, but not nearly as easy as it would have been had xbone/ps4 supported mantel as AMD led us to believe when it was first announced.

2.) Nvidia does not support it. So your game is going to ignore 60% of the high-end enthusiast market for the sake of developing more efficiently? Never happen. Developers LOVE the ridiculous power of a PC because it means they can be lazier than ever bringing a port over as it is.

3.) Mantle being AMD/PC only means the game has to be made for PC. Maybe not 100% PC exclusive, but it needs it's own special path. I don't care how much time it saves, how much faster it is, you're asking developers to spend money on an extra path that will not be used on xbox one, ps4 or nvidia cards. This is the one that makes me pretty certain mantle will never take off.

It's a quaint little idea. EA will give it some support since frostbite is being made for it, but I don't expect the floodgates to break open with support.

If anything is going to help PC gaming, it will be gimmicks like oculus rift, experiences that can't be had on a console. As far as games are concerned, PC is pretty much stuck waiting for consoles, but how you play those games, PC can really evolve in that area.

16. painter

painter Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    PC gaming has become more and more frustrating over the years, as exclusives have become less, and some franchises dumped the platform altogether, or give lip-service, with poor portovers. The PS4 and Xbone (to a lesser degree) seem like more nails in the coffin... we now have (a) console(s) that offer the final, and most obvious deficiency with the previous gen... resolution. The consoles had effects and eye candy aplenty, but the awful low res seared the eyeballs, but now that advantage has diminished to a large degree... It might be somewhat subjective, but Killzone on my PS4 beats BF4 on my PC, and I know which platform I find most comfortable playing... so bye-bye PC gaming for the foreseeable future. My machine has seen its last upgrade, and will remain a flight sim box for a few years.

There is simply too many good games, which will look equal to most PC stuff to ignore now... sorry, but a PC gamer of fifteen years plus, has gone to the dark side, and I won't be looking back... well, maybe the odd glance over my shoulder.

17. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Blame the PS360 and 2008.

Those were dx9 class chips in there. 2008 caused the industry to stay the course another few years on those platforms to reap sweet sweet sequel $ without needed to invest in new engines.

You can't really do hardware physics on the PS360 (nvidia been doing it for years now). You can't do DX10/ 11 on the previous generation, etc. you get the idea.

Because of the huge $ needed to make big games, they need to go multiplat... you can't build a game around using hardware physics or some DX11 graphics effects and them leave them out of 2/3rd of the game's targeted install base.

Now that the PS4 and X1 are dx11-class... we'll start seeing (at least feature-wise) much better support for the features PCs have had since 2007 or so.

Another thing, I would blame a lot of this on those large 3rd party publishers... who's corporate structure leaves a lot to be desired (just people working for a paycheck). They hire so many artists and what-not to get a sequel out every year... A smaller dev might get more passionate people and there work will show.

Oh and the only people who think corporations are efficient are people who never worked for a large one.

Look at the smaller indie games, the art is crazy good. Imagine that passion with a $50 million budget.

18. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    First day/time i sat down with my Xbox360, i felt like something magical to with gaming had been sold the the devil for profits.

Havent been able to get back that 'magical' feeling of the pre ps360 days. I just keep on getting 'meh' experiences and 'oh wow grafix!' moments tbh.

PS360 - Nice one there umeng2002

19. jonerkinsella

jonerkinsella Guest

GPU:
    rx480
    I'm loving my PS4 on my 50" Plasma running through my Onkyo amp . I start it up and play a game ...its that easy.

I used to PC game a lot ,but I'm older now and just sick of the hassle of setup,drivers,sorting out running ,etc.

Now...if only Dice will allow a keyboard,mouse on the PS4 ,that would be cracking.

...And, hurry up with a driving game.

20. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    you are full of poop, most multiplatform games look far better than they do on console. New consoles just came out that are pretty close to mainstream pcs though, for awhile you wont see much difference.
    The pc still has some awesome exclusives and some games like skyrim that are a completely different experience. Who the hell pays $600 a year for a new graphics card btw? Guild wars 2, starcraft 2, star citizen and path of exile are great games/look like great games that will last alot longer than any disposable console exclusive game. Games like uncharted and the last of us are great, but you play through them once and you are done with them.
    I just got a 7950 and don't regret it at all, there is hardly anything worth playing on the ps4/xbox one and no backwards compatibility. With my PC I can play most of the last generation games at current console fidelity.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013