Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7-4960X benchmarks leak

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 25, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Ok onemore time, if I would want to invest in yes a dead socket, i would at least want to buy a 8 core so it would last longer, much longer.. But I dont see any excitement in a 6 core, might as well get new tech aka Haswell 4 core HT and be done with it, sorry that's my pov :p

And how do you even know what will be new in broadwell? judging by your reply you dont and no it wont be just a die shrink, SB to IB proved it, there were still some small perf. improvements up to 10-15% by certain games. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    You don't have any need for a 6 core but you would get a 8 core. That just doesn't make any sense! You can buy an 8 core zeon for ~$2000 so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Your assertion that because you don't need a 6 core, it is 'useless' is just nonesense.

Sounds like you think an upgrade from a 2700k to 3700k is worth it? Again, that just makes no sense at all to me.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I said to myself a few years ago that I would only upgrade my quad core i7-920 to a six- or eight-core CPU because that would offer me better future-proofing. However, since then I've seen benchmarks where the six-core i7-3960 was actually no faster for the vast majority of games than a quad-core; in fact, because of the design constraints of having six cores the i7-3960 was actually slower than a quad-core i7-3770 because the latter could be overclocked higher.

The fact that most games don't even use quad-core CPUs efficiently nevermind six- or eight-core ones. Maybe they will in the future but, right now, there is little point in buying those CPUs only you do a lot of non-games tasks that benefit from multi-threading such as video encoding or whatnot.

4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I totally agree with this approach. But given that IVY-E wont be out for a while, Crysis 3 did benefit from 6 cores and next gen console are just round the corner, I think IVY-E might be an option for gamers when it comes out. We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This is so right, thought annoyingly I've hit a wall with my current CPU at 4.53 GHz that it won't go past for love nor money, upgrade time nearing :D.

I'm hoping to grab one of the 8/10 core Xeons and stick that in an Asrock board. BCLOCK overclock that sucker :D

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I think more or less convinces me that I should skip the i7-4770K which I was planning on buying in a few months and wait for the next-gen consoles and the inevitable increase in demand that multiformat games will put on the PC once developers start using 64-bit code and multi-threading. The next-gen consoles are essentially PCs anyway. Maybe then will be the best time to buy a six- or eight-core CPU?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes i would want a 8 core, that was my initial plan so it would last for a long long time. 6 would too, but if im buying old tech I dont want something half-way,. whats not to understand here?

And yes its useless still, because intel deliberately ditched 8 core from consumer market.. Another 6 core is a weak excuse.

Also you started to quote me, I never asked for your opinion or anything, get over it. :infinity:

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I really laughed out loud when I read that.

I'm not going to ask what kind of "work" requires two GTX 680s.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Somehow, I'm glad it has 'only' six cores, that'd give me cause for a pause......I already have hexacore, so I don't feel a need to do anything.....

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    From the article I posted earlier:

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    She does wedding photography/videos on the side.