Best drivers for two 4870's on Windows 8? Native doesn't work. Years long problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by crewxp, Mar 6, 2012.

1. crewxp

crewxp Guest

GPU:
    HD4870 (Two of them) 512M
    What are the best (fastest fps) drivers out for the HD4870? I have 4 monitors and two monitors are hooked up to each card.

I'm running windows 8 consumer preview and the drivers that it auto-installed aren't good. My second card doesn't activate sometimes when I boot up my computer. Only two monitors activate. I have to restart until it turns on. I also get 'driver failed and restarted' randomly when watching videos sometimes.

When I played Battlefield 3 on Windows 7, I used to get about 10-30 fps. If I ran crossfire mode (disables my two monitors), it runs from 20-40 fps. Maybe 50fps if I did not move my mouse. It still was unbearable to play online.

I tried installing the ATI Windows 8 drivers, but sadly, the 4870 is not listed. I tried installing random driver packages, but sometimes (I have had this issue on windows 7 too), the drivers don't recognize my 4870. Catalyst Install installs everything BUT the drivers. I have to manually install the drivers using Decide Manager, and sometimes it makes it worse, other times it bsod's.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    So my question is: Can anyone recommend the best drivers to get me the highest fps in battlefield 3?, that will work on Windows 8?

Want to Solve:
    • Horrible FPS In Battlefield 3
    • Random missing 2 monitors from other card
    • Driver crashes
    • Windows 8 Support

2. ShooterFX

ShooterFX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD7990
    Well i am using 11.12 with CAP 3 . Works fine on Win8 CP. I am running 4870x2 CF. Hope you get it sorted

3. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
  4. ShooterFX

ShooterFX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD7990

5. crewxp

crewxp Guest

GPU:
    HD4870 (Two of them) 512M
    yeah, the preview drivers dont work for the 4800 series cards.

To install older non windows 8 drivers, is there a special way you have to install them? (Safe mode, compatibility, etc)? I always had issues in the past with 'ATI Drivers' not showing up in the catalyst installer.

6. ShooterFX

ShooterFX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD7990
    Nope. I did clean install of Win 8, then just installed 11.12. They installed full without any issues or having to force drivers/ ccc. Still working fine on my setup

7. bodgeup

bodgeup Guest

GPU:
    Palit Titan X
    Thanks your brilliant!!

I could kiss u right know, u dont know how long ive been trying to get my 2 HD4870's in XFIRE to work in win 8 CP with CCC & crossfire capability.

tried lots of sites examples but none worked untill i found this post, i downloaded CCC 11.12 and installed and volla it worked 1st time like a charm!!!

I may lose some of the new feature from CCC 12.3 but hey at least i can now use my 4870's in XFIRE in win 8 CP.

Anyone else with similar problem, just remove any attempt of previous CCC installs then just DL & install CCC 11.12 and reboot. CCC should start right up and allow u to enable XFIRE on HD4XXX cards.

Thanks

8. ferinefast

ferinefast Guest

GPU:
    ATI/4870/512
    Thanks,you saved my day.