Razer updates Naga MMO Gaming Mouse

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Razer announced the latest iteration of the Razer Naga, a MMO gaming mouse. The Razer Naga's iconic 12-button thumb grid is now outfitted with mechanical switches for increased tactility, speed and a...

Razer updates Naga MMO Gaming Mouse

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Too many badly positioned buttons, no matter how they profile those buttons. Shame.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Agreed. You have all those buttons but actually accessing them all is impossible to comfortably do. I'm more impressed with the Naga HEX series as the layout looks to be improved to my eyes.

4. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    These mice are such a con, it's far quicker to use a keyboard but people buy these thinking it'll make them prove and realise moving your thumb around that pad just makes it ache and trying to move the mouse around while hitting them is awkward.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Speak for yourself. I've used multiple mice and keyboards with macro layouts. Setting certain functions to the mouse is better, especially in MMO's and certain RTS titles. If you have problems moving a mouse while clicking buttons on it I don't know what to say, it's not a problem I've ever had. The only problem the mice have in my eyes is the button layout.

6. bink1986

bink1986 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX660 SuperClocked
    I have to disagree with you gents, I have the original Naga mouse, and use it for gaming, mostly MMO's

I only use 4 of the available 12 keys on the side, but they are great.

As far as thumb fatigue goes, there is none, I have had 8 hour stents playing some mmos with this mouse and no aches or pains.

7. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    same here using the Naga original (had HEX too) and don't have any issues combined with my Orbweaver you can really chill while gaming and yeah i have every button binded on the side lower 6 but for minor stuff (buffs, food etc.)

will probably buy that mouse, had G600 too, worst mouse i ever used, these drivers :puke2:

8. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I use the Logitch version of this, and I use 6-8 of the 12 and its extremely good for MMO's and other games.
    The key to learning the lay out is to just add one thing at a time and after getting used to that button add another, I had always used the 2 on my G9 so I just added 1 a week or so and before I new it the first 6 where easy. Some of the back buttons are not easy to reach, so I just use the G18 and G19 for things I only use every now and then.

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Its funny to read this comment, as far as i can see, peoples i know and reviewers, comments we can read on forums, all point as the mouse is excellent.. ofc you will never use all the buttons...

Personally not forcibly my cup of tea, but now this mice ( and other of the same type ), are in the market for a while, and i have the feeling to read comment as it was the first time they see this type of mice.

I can imagine coupled with a good keyboard who have good macro system.. this mice could be really nice for MMO..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, at least not in regard to myself and eclap. We all seem to be in the same frame of mind. You've admitted yourself you don't make full use of the buttons, although the ones you do make for a better experience. That's much the same way I feel when using mice like the Naga (and yes I have owned and used one, as I believe eclap has).

It really is, that and RTS titles. People tend to assume the extra buttons are useless when they don't play certain genres. I've introduced a few people to mice like this that are heavy MMO players and every single one of them has found it to improve their gameplay. As I mentioned earlier, the only downside is the layout. Although putting the less-reachable buttons to rarely used things such as buffs etc at least gives them function if nothing else.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have a Naga as well. Sits in its box on the shelf. Prefer my Logitech g9, I can actually use more buttons on the g9 comfortabl (use all 9 buttons on the G9 in MMOs) What's the point in using the Naga if you're only using 4 of those buttons btw? Oh I see they moved the forward/back from one retarded position to another. eww razer. BTW, this new naga is very looks more similar to the Logitech g600 than the old naga. and I don't just mean the buttons. the overall shape is very similar.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    My Naga Hex has served my well over the last year. If Razer ever decides to update that, I will definitely be getting that version.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    That I wouldn't mind trying out, much better layout.

14. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I have tried to sell my Naga repeatedly on eBay...after the THIRD time it sold and wasn't paid for, I threw my hands in the air and gave it away to a friend.

They're ok, the membrane buttons always irked me so I think going mechanical should be a substantial improvement. And I think they already replaced the shiny, sticky plastic surface on all of their mice? That was the other problem I had with it.

15. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

Part of me wants to like this. It's the same part of me that wants to like Razer in general. But after so many "almost but not quite" pieces of equipment from them, the rest of me wants to wait and see what Logitech does with the G600 (G600s?) in response.

The tilt-capable scroll wheel is a nice touch, though, and it being wider than the G600s is also good. I just don't trust it from both a usability and longevity standpoint given my history with Razer.

PS I do use all 12 buttons on the side of my G600 when applicable. I probably wouldn't if I had one of the "old" Nagas, though, given how ambiguous the cluster on them is, but Razer fans might actually start to do the same if this new layout is as good as the Logitech.

16. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I found a solution for lack of side buttons that you might like (or perhaps not). I also have split keyboard where using some keys is problematic. Basically I used to have mice with 2 side buttons and played MMOs etc way before Naga was released. To combat problems with reaching skills in Age of Conan I came up with such solution: AWSD for moving, all buttons around for skills and I had 3 skill bars:
    - Slots 1-6 were dealt by buttons 1-6, and 2nd and 3rd slot with shift and ctrl respectively.
    - Slots 7-8 on all bars: V, B, F, G, R, T
    - Slots 9-10 on all bars: V, B, F, G, R, T with shift
    - Slots 11 and 12 usually bound by - and =, side mouse buttons, also with shift and ctrl

This allows me using directional button (I sometimes use other fingers for them) together with any skill and space. My brother uses slightly different config - 1-6 is the same, and 7,8,9,0 are bound to 4 side buttons on his G700 (also with shift/ctrl mods). This gives 12 skills effectively bound to side buttons.

17. Thalyn

Thalyn Guest

Tried modifiers before, back with mice featuring between 2 and 4 side buttons. Good in theory and mostly workable, but it falls apart when you have to use two functions that are on two different modifiers. Of course, the real problem isn't so much using the 12 buttons on the mouse - it's titles that need those 12 buttons, plus another 16 on the keyboard, plus a few more to actually navigate. Perhaps we just need a split keyboard with a trackball under one thumb and the buttons under the other, so the whole keyboard can be our action bars.

Still, I have found uses for it outside of MMOs. Even a good old FPS had weapon select keys across most the keyboard. They work nicely on the upper and lower rows on the side, leaving the middle row for things like inventory, melee, etc. Plus I have the front two columns set up for OS-level stuff.

18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I had no issues with using such combination and had top1 raid DPS in Age of Conan among EU ToS. My brother had top1 raid DPS world in Rift and could tank everything with his other toon. So I guess it works if you bind it properly.

12 thumb keys may be troublesome, unless they give you enough feedback and are positioned perfectly. So I guess that layout like @ Corsair M90 has greater chance to work.

19. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    9600m GT (280 burned out)
    Hey all. Lane is so correct here (and Thalyn also) that I must respond...

MMMB (massively multiple mouse buttons) (sorry could not resist :D)

So yes I have owned a naga (briefly). Got rid as it was like holding a thimble and bought the G600 (after actually testing it). As Lane said, the concept is fascinating, i.e. releasing some of the left hand/right brain work and transferring that process to your right hand.

Anyway, like most of you have said, 16 thumb buttons sometimes never get used, and that's ok. Some will use 3 or 4, others the whole bank. Depends what you're playing.

Naga is ok for some hands, but forget it for 6' blokes. Razer make that great 5 button mouse of course, but it's so small.

G600 (Logitech) messed up it's firmware on release. Has rubbish tech support. But has the ultimate "thing" on any mouse made today (or ever). The button 3.

Anyway, back to studying this damn server :(

Logitech or Razer should make a 3 main button version of both these models with a simple 2/3 thumb button grid.

20. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I use most of the buttons as part of combo/modifiers. I use ~ 30keybinds. When i first got the naga I simply used it as an extension of my key-binding process. Anyway nagas are great, and those of skill who know how to utilize them tend to be better than those who don't :p