The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Scorch666, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Only watched the first episode so far, and had no issues with that, but you need enough drama in it, so you care when they get killed off.

Personally i think it should of been another 6 episodes series, doubling the episodes, and probably giving many of the actors a pay rise, all without having the budget means treading water for most of the series.

2. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I don't really care so far if anyone of them dies, except the old man. I don't mind dramas, hey, I'm a guy who reads romance novels, so that's not the problem.

The problem is the drama is poorly done.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Melodrama more than drama maybe?

Watching the second episode later, so i will see if it's as bad as other people think.

My biggest issue with this is that i watched the BluRay of the first series, which looked fantastic.
    But because its filmed on 16mm its grainy, something i usually like, but it's a nightmare to compress so everything from TV is crap, so i have 720p US HD version and a web-dl one, a 1080i one on my PVR, and a 1080i on demand one, and none of them looked any good.

4. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    I have to agree, too much drama not enough Zombie action. Ep2, all drama and 1 zombie, until the end. It's almost like a soap opera (bad dramatic acting included) with a few zombies thrown in. I remember season 1 being a better balance.

I'll call it "Days of our Lives with a Couple of Zombies".

5. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah...it's the reason I stopped watching Fallen Skies. I mean, that show is about Aliens coming in and wiping out humanity. In the first 6 episodes I watched, each about 45 minutes long, you saw the Aliens for less than 10 minutes.

So let's get this straight:

270 minutes

10 of those spent on Aliens

260 spent on human relations & talking about family and the human spirit.

CMOOOOON PEOPLE.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you're willing to provide an extra few million for alien special effects, then there will probably be more of that in the show :) for special effects people have high expectations, its just as bad having (for example) 40 percent CG at a quality level of a good quality production 10 years ago, than having only say, 8 percent of 2011 acceptable quality graphics. This means not only graphics that look good, but look realistic and not flat either.

Once OpenCL matures and becomes more utilised then high levels of good special effects will become more achievable due to lower processing times. CUDA etc isn't suitable for this because it limits the developers to Nvidia, Windows, the program that supports CUDA over alternative programs running OpenCL or even Directcompute, and other limitations.

7. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Dude, its not about computing, seriously. Are there CGI on the zombies in the walking dead?
    The first season was so much better.
    How about all the other alien movies/series?

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was referring to Falling Skies, not The Walking Dead :)

In terms of other series with CGI for where they are made:
    Stargate SG-1 --> Canada
    Stargate Atlantis --> Canada
    Stargate Universe --> Canada
    Battlestar Galactica --> Canada
    The X-Files --> Canada
    Andromeda --> Canada
    Terra Nova --> Australia
    Farscape --> Australia
    Space: Above and Beyond --> Australia
    The Lost World (was very low budget) --> Australia
    Xena --> New Zealand
    Hercules --> New Zealand
    Lexx --> Germany, Thailand, Canada, Namibia

Star Wars Episode 1 --> Tunisia, UK, Italy
    Star Wars Episode 2 --> Tunisia, UK, Italy, China, Spain, Australia
    Star Wars Episode 3 --> Tunisia, UK, Italy, China, Australia, Thailand, Switzerland
    The Matrix 1, 2, & 3 --> Mostly Australia, little bits of the USA for location shooting

Notice a pattern? These CGI/set shows and movies, among many, many others were too expensive to be made in the US, and the post production was also too expensive in the US. Even Macgyver was moved from California to Canada after season 1 and that was purely due to production costs.

Since 'The Walking Dead' and 'Falling Skies' don't have the same effective access to cheaper production methodologies, you simply have to put up with them saving a bit of money on the CGI and location side of things.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, as i said, because there are twice as many episodes this year, i would expect half action of last year, so lots of filler episodes are to be expected, unless people want zombies in white makeup and ketchup running about.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    AWESOME :rock:

considering it blew every rating in the history of cable tv. it was only a matter of time before they greenlit the 3rd season.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is my favorite show on tv right now glad to hear about season 3 getting the green light
    can't wait to see what happens when Grims finds out Shane was pork'n his wife.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

yea, that and the fact shane tried to rape her when they were all at the CDC center last season. i dont think that will turn out well when he does find out.

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I think he'll do nothing. So far, this season, he's been a total pussy. First season, he was all badass, now he seems weak, while the old man seems way stronger.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    He's bottling it all up and gonna lay some serious woop-a$$ on someone or something at least I hope.

15. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I just finished season 1! Now I gotta start watching season 2!

16. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  17. GandraZz

GandraZz Guest

GPU:
    555m 2GB 665/1330 FHD
  18. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    haha yeah I've seen. Waiting for the second season. What's funny was the show was airing the same time as The Walking Dead first season. I had my zombie fill then and was getting deprived.

I just did a two episode marathon of season two. The show still does a good job of making me dislike some characters and I can't tell if it's on purpose or just awkward acting or actors. All the women on the show annoy the crap out of me.

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    LOL cartoon tits.

20. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    zombies and tits go together.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunetly there aren't any in The Walking Dead...