review: Passively cooled Sparkle GeForce 9600 GT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

I had a peek around for an exotic model GeForce 9600 GT. I ended up with Sparkle .. get this .. 99 EUR for their passively cooled product with 512MB GDDR3 memory. I'm sorry but that's just a heck...

More...

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Nice card! The thermals are definitely worth being noted: an idle temperature of 48C and a peak temperature of 60C is a very respectable result for a passively cooled card, imo. :thumbup:

3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Very, very good value.

Definatley right about the thermals.

4. Balderdash

Balderdash Member Guru

GPU:
    980m
    The article needs to be edited/improved, the card looks fine.

It took 6 pages into the review before we see a picture of the fins on the cooler itself...(how many people are going to skip those first five pages because they want to see what it looks like?), the article never charts the heatsink temps with other cards in the same range (not even the galaxy similar card in the compare) are we to assume that the reader knows the stock heat range of a 9600 card with a fan and the other silent heatsinks? Perhaps I nitpick.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah you are 100% correct about that last part.

6. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    I think you do, guru3d reviews are done in a way the reviewer seems fit, there all done in the same way and the pages are explanatory. So for anyone with common sence it would be easy to find the dropdown menu and see.. "6 - Photos - The Card (2)"

7. Balderdash

Balderdash Member Guru

GPU:
    980m
    :thumbup:

I meant no offense, your website is my favorite hardware website and I spend a lot of time boosting it to my friends and other forums, everywhere I talk about hardware and recent news about hardware and drivers etc., I say way more good things about Guru3D than the few very minor criticisms I meant with that post. :)