Guru3D Rig of the Month - December 2013

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Guru3D Rig of the Month December 2013 was made by Jeroen Timmermans aka Timmy and he has made something maybe a little weird to look at really. But weird is good, as that is something unusual and ...

Guru3D Rig of the Month - December 2013

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
  3. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Nice design. Very unique.

Does it provide coffee too?

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Never seen anything done like this before, very unique indeed. Almost looks like it belongs in a Modern Art Gallery.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That's epically awesome.

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I kind of like this, it does look unusual. Reminds me of some kind of weirdly elaborate Chemistry Lab Experiment!

7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Nice design. Like the solid watercooling tubing.

Definitely need to upgrade those graphic cards though. Having all that fancy liquid cooling on old cards like those is completly pointless considering a bog standard new card without watercooling would out perform it.

Also never saw the non-full cover graphic card waterblocks before with the little heatsinks on every individual VRM! Wouldn't have though they would work without massive air cooling on them.

8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Wow...just wow, Great work of art Timmy....

9. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXA338ro1mo
    Looks awesome. Very creative. I assume it can be used to make espresso too, yes? :infinity:

But seriously: You did all that work, spent all that money, and then you put and Core i5 in there, not a Core i7? Really? Why? Did you run out of money? Do you think Core i7 is overkill? I really want to know.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Something different indeed. Good job man. :p

11. T1mmy

T1mmy Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Thank you all for the nice comments ! :)

Last week I upgraded to two R9 290's so the graphic cards are finally up to date ;). The reason why I've chosen for a universal gpu block and not a full cover block, is because on the long term the universal block is much cheaper.
    And performance wise there is also no reason to pick a full cover block above a universal block. I don't know if it's because of the copper piping, the gpu block or the combination of both, but currently my GPU's (R9 290) are running at 30 degree on idle and around 42 while gaming.
    The heatsinks on the Memory modules are being cooled by the fans on the radiator.

For benchmarking or other CPU intensive programs the I7 will beat the I5 whit his hand in his pockets.
    But for gaming at 1080p a I7 is overkill a I5 @ 4.4Ghz will give you almost if not the same fps as a I7 extreme edition that cost more then 3 times as much as the I5.

Sadly enough one of my MCP 355 pumps died two days ago :(. And i'm currently looking for a way to fix it, the PCB doesn't look damaged and it makes a clicking sound when i plug it in. Is there maybe anyone here that has any experience with this ?

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Two R9 R290s. Nice. Makes much more sense now you can watercool these. Are you going to get full cover blocks for these or just use the GPU blocks you have? I thought it was better to use the full cover blocks and include all the voltage regulators too in the cooling - they apparantly need cooling too.
    Any way the R290s are probably fast enough at stock speeds and going from my experience with the 7990 you only need the watercooling if running Eyefinity which really pushes the fan speeds to max (running BF4 across 3 x 1920x1200 monitors + the extra width for the bezel gaps). I can only run with no AA and the fans get really loud. Thinking of watercooling myself again soon. I have the Koolance CPU block but no 7990 block. Need a new pump, radiator and resevoir too. Not cheap in total. Probably get EK stuff now.

Don't know about your clicking motherboard. This was watercooled wasn't it? Surely this has some sort of overheat protection built in?

13. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    It´s different, it deserves the win, but it doesn´t really shake my giggity o meter.

14. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    That is a fantastic design! Great job :)

15. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Totally love it.

16. T1mmy

T1mmy Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I will just to keep using the GPU block and put some extra heatsinks on the voltage regulators. After four days non stop mining they where 98 degrees Celsius without heatsinks. Since they can reach a max temp of 125 degrees they should be fine :).

For the pump, I found a new PCB for only 20 Dollar and also ordered a new pump just to make sure I have a working pump if the PCB fix does not work.