Tweaks to speed up Re-boot time?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Pigchild, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Anyone know of some adjustments I could make to speed up my start and re-boot time? Currently that Samsung Pro Sata III 256Gb is the only hard drive I'm using. (plan to add another soon.)

Currently my re-boot time is about 16 second, but feel it could be faster. I have the SSD as first boot device, then network as second boot, ROM as 3rd.

I have gone to MS config and shut down things that I do not need starting upon boot. I keep my drive defragged. Is there any other tricks you know of that can get me a faster boot time?

Thanks.

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Seriously??If you are you have way too much time on your hands and a faster boot is only going to give you more. :)

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    NEVER defrag an SSD.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Reduce the number of things that load on start up.

Dont defrag your SSD unless you dont care about its life span.
    Its serves almost no purpose, there isnt a seek head on an SSD.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    16 second reboot time? Is that including powering down, post, boot and ready at desktop\logon?

You could try disabling any un-used devices in the bios, might shave off a fraction of a second there.

Other than that, suggestions were already made above.

6. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    This is surely a joke right?

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Here's something that may confuse people :)

For UEFI computers, Windows is installed in legacy mode. For 'better' start up, you need to install it in UEFI mode. You can tell if it's UEFI, your bios logo will come on when you start the computer, and stay there right until Windows comes up with the logon/start screen. That's right, the logo will be there even with those Windows circular balls going round and round. In my case, this is the standard Asrock logo, but on Asus and Gigabyte boards etc, it will be the Asus and Gigabyte logo's respectively.

To use UEFI mode, you have to initialise the SSD in GPT mode. You can not simply initialise it in Windows, reboot, and install Windows on it, as it will reset it back to MBR. For UEFI boot, you have to load the EFI shell from the bios, load the efiboot stuff from the Windows setup disk (that is what that EFI folder is for), which does a 'reboot', upon which you enter into the Windows setup. You then have to enter the command prompt by the shift-F10 method, make sure the SSD is GPT, (just to make sure), then you can install Windows on it. Confused? you should be, I didn't explain it well :D but you can look it up online. This method is required for the fastest possible boot.

This is for USB install, which is the fastest method of install if you have a fast USB 3.0 stick. DO NOT install Windows off a slow USB stick, or even one that you think is fast but really isn't :D (so many people thing their 4MB/s USB sticks are fast). There are many USB 3.0 sticks floating around that fast USB 2.0 sticks can give a run for their money, these won't do.

UEFI DVD install may or may not be available, that is why I haven't mentioned it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You defragged your SSD...

Well, I think we found the problem.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Defragging once will not cause problems on an ssd.

OP download perfect disk 12.5 and consolidate files

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I've done it before, it's not a big deal. You waste a few writes, and it doesn't do anything for you, but it's hardly dangerous like your "NEVER" in caps would imply.

11. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Perhaps dangerous wasn’t implied and it was to simply stress what you stated, “You waste a few writes, and it doesn't do anything for you”. :)

Unnecessary Wear & Tear on the drive for absolutely no benefit...

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I wouldn't say absolutely no benefit. There's still overhead from the file system when you have fragmentation. With access times as low as they are, it's basically irrelevant. It is however, still present.

13. mutate44

mutate44 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB WF 1293 Boost
    Ok so I started up my usb stick windows 8 installation in UEFI mode and installed windows 8 on my SSD I have 3 1TB hard drives in raid 0. I have a p8p67 EVO with EFI compatible option enabled but after the windows 8 installation I don't get the EFI option in general settings troubleshooting and advanced startup why is that. Just wondering if I installed it right

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It is a big deal.

First of all, it completely ruins the drives built in leveling. The controller also optimizes where it puts the different files, now they aren't where the controller put them.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I hate to be blunt, but so what? You lower life expectancy by a trivial amount.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    do you even own an ssd? its not a big deal. lot of ssds can withstand a terabyte of writes per day for 5-10 years. i get better performance out of my raid vertex 4s by consolidating the files, meaning its puts ALL the files to the front of the drive(well not technically). controllers just put files to lessen writes to the nand.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  17. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Got any benchmarks to prove to that? I seriously doubt it.

It absolutely does not matter where data is placed on an SSD. It takes the same amount of time to read data from any block.

Defragging AND Consolidating files on an SSD (especially current generation SSDs like your Vertex 4s) is completely pointless.

Is it a big deal to defrag an SSD? Not really, its true that most SSDs can handle tons of write cycles a day for years before they start to go bad. But the only thing you are doing by defragging or consolidating is wasting some of those write cycles and your own time.

And on topic: OP, what the holy hell do you care about reboot times for? F**king seriously?

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No i dont have a benchmark comparison, nor do i care to prove it to you. Read/writes are more consistent though. the ssd's controller still has to access different nand channels. If all data is spread out across all the channels, itll take longer to access all of those sequentially than it does to access a couple. Since most highend ssds can take upto 1tb of writes each day for 5+ years i could give a sh1t about reducing my lifespan my consolidating every one and a while. You try it out yourself, much easier that way.

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    But hey, good to see that you know better than the manufacturers of these drives. Hell, Defrag programs like Defraggler even disable automatically defragging for SSD's (makes them invisible to selection).

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Please, its obvious you know nothing on the subject and are looking for info out there. Like i said the only down is wearing down the nand, but like i said with 1tb of writes a day for 5 years, i dont care. http://www.raxco.com/ssd-optimization.aspx

im not going to bother trying to convince someone who only goes by what they read online. You can stick with your methods, ill stick with my findings by own results.

besides, all your links talk about defragmenting, you cant differentiate between consolidating and defrags? lol ok