Changing router gateway address/IP

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Sneakers, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right, I am in need of some serious help here.

I recently gotten myself a Boxee Box and to get it to work optimally ( at all ) I need to use a diffrent DNS server to connect to so I get access to all the good stuff on Hulu, Netflix and so on.

Problem is that the Boxee Box seem to have some serious glitches and outstanding bugs preventing many users from manually setting the network settings from within the Boxee Box interface/GUI.

My idea was to instead, of fighting a bugged out mediabox with lackluster software I try and by-pass the issue by indirectly forcing the Boxee Box to take my assigned new DNS server via the router.

I tried simply changing the DNS server on the router through DOS but that didnt seem to transfer via DHCP to the box, it still kept its original DNS server which oddly enough seem to be the same as the routers internal gateway address/IP.

Yes, thats were my idea of simply changing the router gateway IP came to life.

I went into the routers web GUI and downloaded the "bios", and then started casually modding it, looking for the gateway address/ip and then simply changing it to the gateway address of my liking, which was the SAME as the DNS I intend to force my Boxee Box to connect to ( since I noticed it ALWAYS use the same IP as the gateway to connect to the DNS ) I figured this would work.

Problem was after I "flashed" the router with new sets of IPs for the gateway I lost internal connection to it, I couldn't access the web based GUI by typing in the NEW gateway address, and the old didn't work either - no IP address worked at all ( went into cmd and ran "ipconfig" and tested them all no go ).

In the end I had to reset the router to factory settings to get the control back, and regain my internet.

Is what I am trying to do even possible? It seems it would be the perfect fix for the Boxee Box which I am rapidly loosing patience with, had it for 1 week and nothing works on it. It has potential but the bugs ruin the whole thing, if only I could get it to accept manually put in network addresses so I could USE the apps I need for it.

To sum it all up:

1) Got a boxee box
    2) trying to get the most out of it by using dynamic DNS addresses from a paid site
    3) Boxee Box won't take manually input network addresses ( bugged is my guess )
    4) Tried to change the routers internal gateway address to the same as the intended 'external' DNS address to force the boxee box to take it by using "automatic DHCP" settings which work 100%

5) almost bricked the router when I went in and manually changed the OLD gateway address to a new one ( which is the same as the DNS I want to use on the boxee box )

6) Need help figuring this out, really wanna make this box work since it really is a nice piece of kit if it would work properly. :infinity:

2. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    C'mon lads, 85 ppl looked at it, some of you must have some network expertise and atleast could say if this is even technically possible?

That is to change the routers internal gateway address massivly, maybe out of its "stock" range and by that way try forcing the boxee box to use that new gateway to also copypaste for its DNS adress?

So that it gets the gateway forcefully from the router and then internally on the boxee box we can let the bugged software copypaste the gateway address into its DNS adress field and voila it works?

3. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    You should not have to change the gateway the router is connected to as that's the link/connection to your provider(s router). And the gateway of your local network is your router itself. So no need to touch that. Gateways are used to connect one network to another network, and so on. And you can't just bypass the chain of networks on the internet.

I found this about the Boxee Box and custom DNS on the net: http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291557-setting-up-boxee-box

But I would suggest to check first if it will work altogether by just changing the DNS setting for the network adapter in your computer without changing anything in the configuration of the router. For that, go to the Properties of the network adapter, select 'Internet Protocol' Version 4 (TCP/IP) and select Properties and select 'Use the following DNS server address'. Enter the desired DNS entry/entries and check if Internet still works after disconnecting and reconnecting.
    If changing to your desired DNS server(s) doesn't work on your PC, then you could try Google DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) to see if DNS can be changed correctly.

I would check if the above works. If yes, then look at the settings of the Boxee Box again. Haven't tried it myself, so I hope it will help ;)
    Good luck!

EDIT: I noticed you used the description 'dynamic DNS'. Don't you mean 'using alternate DNS' or something? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

Hi man and thanks for taking the time to look into my problem!

Yah I guess I mean alternating DNS, from what I can gather it only routes to a "diffrent" then stock DNS when I am accessing location locked material, such as netflix, hulu and so on.

I have tried the "soft" mod on the DNS server and it doesn't transfer to the boxee box, it works for the desktop like it should but the boxee box seem to get its DNS server address straight from the gateway, or more the gateway address/ip of the router IS what the boxee box uses as its own DNS within boxee box network settings.

If I manually change the boxee box network settings and step away from automatic DHCP it fails to connect, I get a "networks settings where not configured properly" prompt and its a no go.

The boxee itself seems pritty bugged when it comes to its wireless connection in general and I was hoping doing a change on the router would work, but I am no network expert, I thought the internal gateway of the router was only its "IP" internally?

Thing is, or I suspect it..is when I went into the router software and uploaded a new .ini file with new instructions I might well have changed the external router gateway aswell since it could in theory be the SAME as the internal router gateway address.

Maybe if I could change the internal ( LAN ) gateway which lets the other computors in the network see and "talk" to the router and change that to the DNS I want to use for the boxee I could get the boxee to automatically DHCP copy the correct DNS while still keeping my correct external ( internet ) gateway to the next hop to let my router talk to the telecom server stations HW?

5. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    My Sitecom router lets me change the (automatic) DNS settings for the WAN (in the 'WAN' section under 'DNS settings', duh ;)). I think that's where you should start looking, if possible.

EDIT: this would imply that all your network traffic will use that specific DNS server, which could be slower for everything else on the net except for the Boxee Box..

What type of router do you have?

EDIT 2:
    "Thing is, or I suspect it..is when I went into the router software and uploaded a new .ini file with new instructions I might well have changed the external router gateway aswell since it could in theory be the SAME as the internal router gateway address."
    I think this assumption may only hold when the router is configured to be used in bridged mode (and not as a gateway/router itself). And you probably don't want to do that :nerd:

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You don't have an option in the routers GUI to change DNS ?

[​IMG]

As above, what is the model router? Maybe you can flash DD-WRT to it as in my screenshot

7. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

I have a pritty crappy Thomson TG585 v7, but my net is only 8 mbit down so no real point buying something fancy ( the wiring is from the 1960s from tele station to us and patched up hundredes of times so it fits with the router ).

I did go into the routers web GUI to look for DNS settings in there but it is pritty locked down.

I could access the router via telenet though and manually change its dns settings via DOS command but that didnt work either. It changes the network adapters DNS settings ( for the desktop ) but the damned Boxee box still pulls its DNS from the gateway address ( litterally it is the SAME address ).

My desktop also have the same gateway address as DNS address before I manually change it, but the diffrence is when I change it for the desktop it works/stick and can connect normally unlike the Boxee.

I think have to either try the manual DOS DNS switch again or figure out a way to change the routers internal ( WLAN ) gateway without changing the external internet gateway address. Any ideas?

"[ ppp.ini ]

[ ip.ini ]
    ifadd intf=LocalNetwork dest=bridge
    ifadd intf=Internet dest=ethoa_Internet
    ifconfig intf=loop mtu=65535 group=local
    ifconfig intf=LocalNetwork mtu=1500 group=lan linksensing=disabled primary=enabled
    ifconfig intf=Internet mtu=1500 group=wan linksensing=enabled
    ifattach intf=LocalNetwork
    ifattach intf=Internet
    config forwarding=enabled redirects=enabled netbroadcasts=disabled ttl=64 fraglimit=64 defragmode=enabled addrcheck=dynamic mssclamping=enabled
    config checkoptions=enabled
    config natloopback=enabled
    config arpclass=4
    ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=10.0.0.138/24 addroute=enabled
    ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=192.168.0.254/24 addroute=enabled
    ipconfig addr=192.168.0.254 preferred=enabled primary=enabled
    rtadd dst=255.255.255.255/32 gateway=127.0.0.1
    rtadd dst=224.0.0.0/4 intf=LocalNetwork
    rtadd dst=0.0.0.0/0 intf=Internet metric=10

[ autoip.ini ]

[ ipqosmeter.ini ]

[ igmh.ini ]
    config requirera=disabled

[ autopvc.ini ]
    config mode=passive type=bridge overwrite=disabled peakrate=0

[ mcast.ini ]

[ diagnostics.ini ]
    config pingtimeout=1000 pingpacketsize=32

[ dnsc.ini ]
    config timeout=5 retry=4 search=enabled trace=disabled
    dnsadd addr=127.0.0.1 port=53

[ dnss.ini ]
    config domain=lan timeout=15 suppress=0 state=enabled trace=disabled syslog=disabled WANDownSpoofing=enabled WDSpoofedIP=198.18.1.0
    host add name=speedtouch addr=0.0.0.0 ttl=1200
    host add name=modem addr=0.0.0.0 ttl=1200

[ dhcrule.ini ]
    debug traceconfig state=disabled

[ dhcs.ini ]
    debug traceconfig state=disabled
    policy verifyfirst=enabled trustclient=enabled rtbehaviour=traditional
    pool config name=LAN_private state=enabled intf=LocalNetwork poolstart=192.168.0.64 poolend=192.168.0.253 netmask=24 gateway=192.168.0.254 server=192.168.0.254 leasetime=86400

[ dhcr.ini ]
    ifconfig intf=LocalNetwork relay=enabled
    add name=LocalNetwork_to_127.0.0.1
    modify name=LocalNetwork_to_127.0.0.1 addr=127.0.0.1 intf=LocalNetwork giaddr=192.168.0.254"

This is the area where the gateway address is mentioned, any clue to which one is the external contra internal gateway?

8. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    It is a Thomson TG585 v7, and from what I am told/read it is quite locked and limited in its web GUI.

Most of the manual DNS changes I have done so far is via telenet dos prompt.

9. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    You should NOT bother with editing gateway settings ;)

I think you were looking for the DNS server(s), found an IP which matched the gateway and therefore assumed it must be in the gateway settings. It just doesn't work that way.
    From the view of your LAN clients, the Thompson acts as a DNS server, as a DHCP server and as a default gateway all at the same time, but they're not just the same thing. I don't know if the Thompson acts as a modem as well in your network setup btw. (EDIT: it seems it does)

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that's what Im seeing too, using Telnet to change DNS,
    http://community.plus.net/library/d...t-dns-servers-in-a-thomson-speedtouch-router/

What's wrong ? Is it not working ?

EDIT - Apparently can be done via GUI too
    http://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php?title=Thomson_TG585v7#DNS_Settings

11. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Think it may be possible after adding a line to the [ dnsc.ini ] section:
    dnsadd addr=<insert.desiredIPaddress.of.DNSserver> port=53
    Or by replacing the line with 127.0.0.1 in it.

EDIT: But I'd try telnet first ;)

12. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    No I wasn't looking for the DNS servers for the gateway, I was looking for the gateway address and try and change that one into the SAME as the DNS server I was the Boxee box to access once it goes outside the WLAN onto the internet.

I tried changing the router DNS server through telnet but that didnt work, the Boxee box was still using the routers gateway as a DNS address, for some reason.

I really don't know the inner workings of the thomson that well nor am I any good at networking so I wouldn't know about the modem-router/both thing.

What I want is the Boxee box to get / use 46.165.219.110 as its external DNS server for IP/internet and not the routers gateway address of 192.168.0.254 which the Boxee box insists on assigning when I use the "automatic DHCP" congfig to get the networking to work. Setting network settings manually for the boxee box do not work when one is using WLAN.

13. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I can change the routers DNS server but the boxee box still assigns the router gateway as its DNS server, why I don't know.

So my work-around idea was to simply have the internal router gateway address be the same as the intended external DNS server I want the router to hop to.

14. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    If you can change the routers DNS server, then that's what you should do ;)
    The router acts only like a DNS server to the internal network, but recieves its own DNS settings/servers from the DNS from the WAN provider. These should be the settings you'd need to change.

The router also acts like a default gateway in order to connect your LAN to the network of the provider. And the network of the provider is connected to the WAN. Gateways are the connections between networks. DNS servers are used to translate URLs and such into IP addresses.
    In your case and most home networks, the Thompson modem-router acts like a modem, a router, a DNS server (in forwarding mode, otherwise you could not connect to the internet), a DHCP server, web server (the web GUI), etc. etc.

Are you able to connect the boxee box to the internet when you change the routers DNS server?
    Are you able to connect to internet with a PC when you change the routers DNS server? Are you able to ping the DNS server?
    Do you have a screenshot a the GUI of the boxee box?

And please remember always to restart the router (EDIT: and devices) after you've changed settings. The router needs to flush it's DNS table as well.

15. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

I will try this again and do it very carefully and report back with the results again so we can trubble shoot further.

I would like to say yes on everything you suggested but trubbleshooting until 5 am in the morning getting more and more annoyed with it all sometimes make u do silly misstakes :) So I will re test it all.

16. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Its working now :)

Did the same thing I did last night, and now its working.

I think I forgot to reset the router last night, I only rebooted the PC, though I did a manual >dns server route flush...but maybe that wasn't enough.

Oh well I got access to all the location locked material now and apps within the boxee network and everything is working :)

Netflix, hulu, bbc iplayer, spotify, grooveshark, pandora you name it and its there :banana:

Now I only need to figure out why the SMB sharing is acting up at times :bang:

17. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Well done, mate! Glad you got it working after all.
    Now kick of your shoes, put your feet up, lean back and just enjoy the melodies :dave:

Btw, what is a Boxee Box exactly? Sounds like fun but D-Link or Samsung are not very clear about it atm.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I use GoogleDNS (8.8.8.8). Seems to work better than my ISP's DNS server.... ymmv ofc. :nerd:

@Sneakrs - I know this is a bit late, but for future reference u can change DNS server in Windows like this;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh btw there some software called dmt that can be used to hack certain routers/chipsets. It does this via telnet but with a GUI.

Forum is in German sorry....

Actually one of my routers is a locked Thompson same as yours, it has a Broadcom chipset and this is the DMT version you need.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013