Nvidia Official Response on Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by SLI-756, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    thats a major resolution your playing at there ric

2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This is why exclusives need to be dropped on an open platform like the pc, it just hurts performance for end users no different to drm, imo.

Save exclusive wars for consoles.

Also, it hurts my head as to how much attention this tressFx thing got, at least PhysX and tesselation can be applied to almost everything and not just.....friggin hair!....really! Is this what were doing now.

3. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    "ric" - bad but I'm Ricardo Nuno. :)

Why do I change from 720p to higher resolution? I don't want that because higher resolution drops performance for GTX 480. lool But I got pure-smooth motion (vsync enabled only but double buffering) during medium or long time at 720p. ;)

4. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Admit it, you just wanted Ricardo to say the magic words.

Pure-smooth... :banana: :infinity:

5. Placebo_Tony

Placebo_Tony Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Yep, I've tested this and it solves the crashing.
    Thanx man!:banana:

6. Alph4Dawg

Alph4Dawg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC
    Tomb Raider is now available on PC, and includes a host PC-exclusive features including AMD Radeon™ performance optimizations; DirectX® 11 graphics and TressFX Hair

:)

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    actually I was interested in his fps playing in an ati tool resolution. not a far drop off than current resolution

8. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    Wow, an apology from nVidia for a game only 1 day out?

I still remember the good old days when I had to wait 3 months to play the Witcher 2 properly. And no apologies or any kind of information back then.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well lately nvidia is saved by releasing last minute driver but this time they really f*cked up.

Saying sorry nvidia is a lame excuse.

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    some of you are really really disgusting with your bandwagon bashing. read op -> post.

11. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    Disgusting bandwagon bashing is what normally gets the job done. And this is not only for games or GPU drivers...

12. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Agreed.

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Its not what he said: he said they have got effectively the final code only this week end ( understand the last final game ).. but not the new code (or game in this version ) have a worse image quality, is less stable of previous one etc .. its the experience you have who is less stable, worse image quality lol of what you should expect.. because they have not have the time to adapt their driver and or fix with developpers some little things and so there's some bug.

Basically the code of the game will continue to evolve untill the game pass gold ( and even with that, there's some fix added ( day one patch ).. if the drivers team have not get the modification enough fast they will not have the time to work on the driver.. And i really doubt AMD have push the developpers of CD to bring the TressFX code to Nvidia team before they launch it. ( same goes for many thing ( well for Showdown, Nvidia is still unable to use the computing path of the engine ( but who is DX11 compliant ).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  14. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    I really cant understand some of the gurus sometimes.

If nvidia wouldnt say or admit the problem, everyone goes crazy calling them liars etc, maybe start a petition of some sort.

If they admit the problem thru an official statement, that could or could not be the real reason, everyone goes crazy in the same way as above. Doesnt make sense to me.

Also what will be the point of ManuelG into publicly admitting the problem by giving a false reason or a weak excuse?
    Wasnt better for him since he represents nvidia, to say something like "We are aware of the issue, and its a driver fault, we're onto fixing it".

Instead he explained that theres a problem with the code, which is plausible for various reasons. Drivers, even betas, needs to be tested from their QA before getting released. And if anyone frequents the nvidia driver section, you will know that usually it takes a week, if not severals. That basicaly "freezes" the development of the drivers until they are out.

I think they had a driver portion ready for TR as long it was the code they had, which wasnt final. The final code could be possibly different, maybe for some last minute optimizations or implementations like TressFX (who knows what goes on there).

Even if they didnt, they came out and stated its their own fault, beside Crystal Dynamics not supplying the retail code.

Point is, i can understand the rage until a certain limit. If the game is broken, not playable, because we dont have any mean or resource to make it so, im with you guys.

But we have a solution already, that doesnt break anything, which is the microsoft whql 311.06 driver. It performs as it should be, even in latest games such crysis 3, without any downsides.
    Sli is broken? Use Hitman Absolution sli bits.

So whats the problem now? We are used to install any new driver comes out, even leaked ones. Not to mention modded ones.

Now? This rule cannot be applied anymore? I dont know how AMD users are doing, but we have an alternative until nvidia fixes this. It takes 3 minutes to install a new driver, doesnt break anything , everything works as it should.

We can forget TressFX because, cmon, its an amd feature. It was like this since starters, we known it. Playing without it doesnt make the game the worse in history, i barely pay attention to Lara's Hair.

If they fix it, all good. If they dont, well its not an nvidia feature, its not supposed to work beatifully smooth.

And dont start about "the game when it comes out should be working optimally on everything" because no games are like this, so i dont see how this can work on TR as well.

End of the rant, sorry everyone for the long post.

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I completely agree with you.. but strangely TressFX work fine on Nvidia cards ( i mean, you dont see white square replacing the hair when enabled like it was the case with LostPlanet and the snow ) still can induct some bug if Nvidia have optimise some other parts of the code without it..

But it use Directcompute, so Nvidia cards are fine to do it. Same goes for the tesselation, as it use DX11 tesselation and the codes exists ( tesselation code who owned by AMD anyway, as MS have include their developping code for it ) They have just to got the time to optimize their drivers for prevent problem. and fix what should be fixed.

We have see too games who was not from Nvidia or AMD program, and who was just not work on both hardware without problem at release ( crash, graphics bugs etc )

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

16. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    Nvidia users are reporting crashes, glitches, bsods and something else when enabling tessellation.
    Thing that doesnt happen with the 311.06, as i said. Its like they are making an excuse out of it, while bashing nvidia and manuelG for the same "weak excuse". Talk about being mature or coherent.
    Everyone says pc gaming is customizing, without limits. Then when theres a way to fix a problem, no one is happy. There were days where we used to install countless of drivers without reason, and now that a reason exists everyone seems to forget about it lol.
    I will never understand this habit. Is what makes the pc community full of retards.
    Seriously, im done with ranting. I just wish that people search and experiment before judging.
    Yes we dont have an official driver yet for TR, bu microsoft WHQL one came from somewhere.

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This really does highlight the need for both the NVIDIA/AMD and the developer/publisher to maintain constant communication as regards drivers and game code, more so in the run up to a PC game's launch.

All too often now we hear that code was either received or changed too late by one side in a game that is coincidentally (or not) branded for the other side. This time it is NVIDIA owners who suffer rather than AMD ones and, I'm sorry, but it is simply not good enough IMO. We all know there is no such thing as a bug-free game on any platform but when miscommunication also spoils the party then it really is inexcusable. It should be Nixxes/Square-Enix who should be apologising not NVIDIA. I sincerely hope that the developers are working on a fix as a matter of urgency and that the patch won't take weeks to arrive.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    The question is which nvidia users, Fermi GF110 isnt affected by tessellation bug and it works fine with latest 314.12, its mostly Kepler GK104..

Also this was a bit surprising, he has a 670GTX with 314.12
    I got the same, no crashes, etc. So its kinda weird not all GK104 suffer from it.

That extra 2tflops of power doesnt help for some reason, it has the same slowdowns like GF110 chip with TressFX on.

I doubt nvidia will fix it much, but they should fix those latency issues slowdowns when the game switches to a lot of compute processing (cut scenes, sequences)- its only here where it fails and it fails across the board by all nvidia gpus.

19. Wanny

Wanny Guest

How can you fail to live up to expectations when you are basically not given any recent builds by the game devs?

I'm seriously more blaming Crystal Dynamics and the duders on the PC port than Nvidia or AMD.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It may not just be tessellation that causes the crashes though; it could be using TressFX as well. Since the latter causes such a big performance hit on NVIDIA cards, it may that a lot of people have disabled it and that might explain why not everyone has had crashes with tessellation enabled.

I've been using TressFX and tessellation and have had three freezes so far but I can play it fine (well, for the two hours I played anyway) with tessellation off and TressFX on. I have not tried playing it with tessellation on and Tress FX off though nor with the Hitman Absolution SLI flag, which is reportedly more stable than the default one.