Battlefield 4 & Windows 8.1 - what an improvment it is!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mike2004, Dec 2, 2013.

1. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Yes I noticed the huge difference in bf4 as well when I upgraded a few weeks ago, also finding 8.1 way better than w7 I have zero issues with it.

2. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
  3. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    I think windows 8.0 is better than 8.1

4. superkickstart

superkickstart Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780
    Well currently there really isn't better os for gaming than windows 8.1 and i'm definitely happy with it. I have ubuntu based custom linux desktop on dualboot but i rarely go there. I'll switch to linux/steamos as main os someday but windows it is for now.

I actually like the new start screen more than the old start menu. In 7 i mostly used the start menu as quick launch for couple of less used software and everything else was in task bar. In 8, the start screen is actually more usable and the old menu now feels clumsy and slow to use.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Now enable at least 2xaa, ssao and all default ultra/high and postaa off.

You have a 780Ti, it has enough muscle.. :D

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah even my wife can use vanilla Windows 8.1 now, and she complained a lot when I used her laptop as a test system when 8 first came out.

Ended up having to get Start8 to shut her up, since 8.1 Start8 has been uninsulated, which is good as I was worried if I kept using it I would end up clueless if I had to use any PC other than my own.

Gaming wise I'm not sure many, if any other games have the same performance gains as BF4 though, I certainly haven't found any yet.

7. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Thanks man. I already did.:)
    I just posted those results for the compare between W7 vs W8 with same game settings.

8. Mike2004

Mike2004 Member

GPU:
    nVidia/Asus 780 GTX SLI
    Tee hee hee you got me! On the internet! With your wit & sarcasm!

9. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    lol

10. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    On Windows 7 the game was unplayable, even with cores unparked and HT disabled. Stutter fest.

On Windows 8.1 it was much better, then I disabled HT and OMG I can finaly play. Also seems running the x86 executable improves the game even more but might be placebo on that one.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    8.1 start button ftw mate, right click it, it's great

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    NB1: clearly bf4 is optimized for windows 8
    NB2: this game is asking much more than it should be anyways on any high end system, so this shouldn't be the case, u basically buy a high end pc to get high fps.

13. superkickstart

superkickstart Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780
    I actually had to remove the start button from the taskbar when i updated to windows 8.1. The corner thing is so much better and i keep my taskbar at the top.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    On my previous gaming laptop, it ran way better on Win7 then Win8.1.

I had to put some settings on medium, on Win7 i could do high/ultra without fps drops to 30-40's.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I switched to 8 (then 8.1) while there was still a BETA, big improvement, night and day really. And thing is the OS is actually not that bad, I never use that metro thing anyway, and it boots a lot faster on my SSD than it did on 7 (which was already fast booting). I think other games will benefit from 8.1 in the future as well, and if not, still I'm glad I did the upgrade even though I was VERY sceptical.

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Yeah, in the beginning i was very sceptical, too. I dont use the Metro thing, too. ;)

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Personally I won't be moving to a tablet OS for the sake of one game.

But does anyone know the reason why this is happening. Is it a legit cause or the case of backhanders to force upgrades...

18. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Dice said a while back in July iirc that it would run better on 8 due to better DX 11.1 utilization.

Quote “We use DX11.1, there are some optimizations in it (constant buffer offsets, dynamic buffers as SRVs) that we got in to the API that improves CPU performance in our rendering when one runs with DX11.1. This will be in BF4.”

19. superkickstart

superkickstart Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780
    Well it's not really "tablet os" even though it has functions that make it work in tablets too. Those are almost completely optional and most of time it works and looks just like previous windows versions. If you have opportunity to upgrade, i definitely recommend it.