120HZ monitor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DiceAir, Jul 23, 2013.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Hi there.

I want to know if upgrading from asus ve247H to a 120-144HZ monitor is worth it. My pc can handle most games at above 60FPS. I mainly play games like Battlefield 3. I manage a 60FPS on ultra constant and don't mind tuning down like 1 or 2 settings just to get that 120FPS constant.

If I go for one what is the cheapest good monitor to go for.

Thanks

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I can vouch for the Tempest Overlord.

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    BTW I'm from South Africa. Can't get that monitor here.

4. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    You can always get the Benq X2411T or something like that. Its not a bad monitor and supports 144hz or the XL2720T if you want a larger screen.

They aren't the best but they are pretty decent for the price. I have the X2411T and its not as good as its predecessor the XL2420T but gives good enough colours for what I want. My only issue is the default brightness was way too high.

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Wow that screen looks nice just a bit expensive. I'm not going to use the 3d

6. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Samsung did some non 3D 120hz monitors. Cant remember which model though. They are quite old but were decent if I remember correctly. I think their G2G wasn't great though.

7. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    maybe spoken to soon. should have checked what monitors are available here in South Africa cause i can't find any :(

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    i got the s23a700D that i bought last December, man that is the best looking monitor i could get. so happy with the 3D and 120HZ.

60hz looks so primitive

9. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    I will agree. Without going into that silly debate about what you see. I will never go back to a 60hz monitor. Once you are used to 120hz you can tell the difference. Not to mention unlocking the potential of your gfx cards.

10. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    so i have a choice between the following benq screends

XL2420T or XL2411T

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The only circumstances a 120Hz monitor would benefit you is a few team-deathmatch maps - and not all of them - and the mode that you would benefit from is quick-scope sniping.

That's it.

It won't fix the dreadful netcode, like when you die around a corner or rubber banding when you are in proximity to someone on foot or vehicle; or the animations of people jumping over stuff. It won't fix any of that.

120Hz monitors are godlike for every other FPS I've played on them, like:

UT3
    TF2
    Quake
    CS

The big thing is the immediacy of everything on the screen, I felt nothing like it since CRT dayz and when I say godlike, I do mean godlike; complete with Thor's hammer and lightning.

BF3, not gonna change anything which matters, unless all that matter to you is one or possibly two maps when using a quick-scope (or no-scope) sniping.

The issue I have with 120 Hz monitors is the TN panels they got, which is why I use an IPS panel from Dell which has the same low input lag, but all of the colour richness and quality of 10-bit panel.

I would STRONGLY recommend you buy one and send it back if you don't like, if the retailer allows that of course.

Talking of things which are godlike, I am reminded of a Quake 3 video: LINK.

12. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    120hz/144hz most definitely worth it. It will be instantly noticable to you. When I use my mates 60hz monitor its like watching a slide show.

13. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF

I mostly play BF3.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't snub your nose up at the 3d monitors there is a lightboost trick out there that greatly reduces motion blur using the strobe effect that the 3d monitor has.

15. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I've been reading up on the internet and the samsung monitors also comes with something similar to lightboost

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Then my opening gambit and closing move are the only relevant aspects to my post.

Quick-scoping sniping is the only benefit, and I recommend you buy one and test it for yourself.

I've sent back many monitors if unsatisfied with what I bought, but that's retail law in the country I currently reside in...thank god.

17. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    It's not easy to do that here cause where I stay you don't get these monitors in every store so I have to buy online.

18. SOLLERHOLLER

SOLLERHOLLER Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7790 2GB OC
    yeah south africa for those monitors are expensive but hard to get... i am sure they very
    good though :)

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Those monitors with their strobe backlight option have higher input lag than the LightBoost monitors.

20. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    just need more people to confirm that 120HZ is really better from the day 1 of use.