Microsoft might rethink on Windows 8 flagship software

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 8, 2013.

1. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Ordered a new laptop, the only choice is Win8. Prepared by downloading Start8 and Classic Shell - probably going to choose Start8 yet.

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    While not a fan of Windows 8's tile interface for desktops, I have no qualms with it, I'm running it on 3 computers. Tbh, Windows 8 makes perfect sense for my HTPC due to Start Screen makes more sense as a 10-foot interface than the Start Menu ever did.

Other than that, the underlying improvements of Windows 8 was enough for me to upgrade. Like Vista, I have no qualms (once SP1 came out) unlike the amount of issues I have with Windows ME.

After Vista came out and me using other OSes constantly, I never bothered to actually use the Start Menu except it being a convenient search box, I just quickly type what I need and it'll just pop up. Windows 8 is perfect for it and so was 7. So I guess I was never irked by Windows 8 because of this since it's just a giant search box for me.

It could just be that I use multiple different OS that I've just grown to adapt quickly between different interfaces.

deltatux

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
  4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    What, you want them to keep an inferior search method around? I guess. I guess if that's how you have to do it; the significantly slower way.

Here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Create a folder, point it there, pin it to your metro start menu. Now you have the same functionality with more screen real estate.

But in all honesty, you should learn to type out what you want. It's orders of magnitude faster.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    To be honest with you, I have no problems with Windows 8. It took me an hour or so to understand how it worked. Most icons can be pinned to the start menu, which is the tile screen. Or to the desktop taskbar. You don't really need a start menu. You can just search for everything, which takes seconds.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    This, ever since they've integrated a search bar into Windows and many Linux desktop environments, I have never bothered to use the Start Menu except for the search function. If I want Steam, I type Steam. It's much faster to type what you want than to look through the menus. Hell, they can get rid of such an interface completely and give me a search box and I'll be happy.

deltatux

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I should've thought this was obvious by now. This is, really, how everyone uses Windows. This, and pinning things to various places. Microsoft specifically designed this OS around how people use the damn thing. Insignificant numbers of peole navigate the folder structure of the start menu. Everyone either types, or pins.

This is why the start menu is full screen. You can pin far more tiles, and click them much more quickly. You can search faster, and get more results.

The only place they failed, which is being fixed with Blue, is not fully using the extra real estate in the search function. The screen is capable of displaying all search results, but they chose to segment it to Apps/Settings/Files. I assume this was for ease of use, but its actually the only cumbersome part of the whole thing.

8. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    BS, Windows ME had bad reviews because it was a bad product. Windows 8 got bad reviews because it was a total change in interface which put a lot of consumers/users off. Windows ME was a complete bug fest. Windows 8 is stable.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Like combining a toaster and a fridge? No, after using Windows 8 for a while because my laptop came with it, I can conclude it's more like combining a toaster and a dildo.

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    The new interface is not that hard to learn. look here,

Windows 8 How-to

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Once I figured out all the shortcuts my life became 99% easier. W8 isn't bad, it's just not for everyone.

12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Consumers are either too stupid or too lazy to understand the Windows 8 interface. Even a 10 year old child understands it...

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    It may have, but I dont recall the criticism of it by the tech industry as searing as that of Win 8.

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My mom who's computer illiterate could figure out Windows 8 after I gave her a 5 minute tutorial of the changes so she can navigate my HTPC. I kept her machine at Vista since I ran out of licenses lol.

Everyone who has been complaining about Windows 8 so far is just complaining about change. Windows 8's tile interface, while not very elegant is still very good. I see why Microsoft did it, but they should have left an option to revert to the old interface like they did with previous versions of Windows instead of shoving it in people's faces.

It's like people complain about every single new Facebook feature and saying the old Facebook is better and then complain about another feature when the "then-new" feature becomes old and they prefer that. It's a never ending complaint because most people hate change.

deltatux

15. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Irrespective of the polarised views on Windows 8, Microsoft are going to follow the money!

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Microsoft is there to make money and answer to their shareholders. If people don't buy a product then it's time to change it so more people do.

17. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I hope this new windows 8 blue is just a service pack or something and not another stand alone OS.
    Anyway, i would only add an option to choose to boot to desktop and to have a choice for a start button, which honestly i don't miss at all, i just got used to not have one.
    I would leave everything else intact as it is, cause those 2 things aside (start button and boot to desktop), windows 8 is slightly a better copy of windows 7.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I would be very surprised if Windows Blue was free.

19. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    It took about a week of getting used to but I grew to love 8. The biggest thing was learning how to get to the different settings, which is as simple as right-clicking the bottom-left hand side of the screen to get access to the control panel, command prompt, device manager, and run prompt. After spending about 5 minutes customizing the Metro UI I have every program I'll ever use just 2 clicks away from the desktop, as opposed to having to click start, then hovering the mouse over all programs for a second, then hovering the mouse over the program folder that has the program I want to open for another second, then clicking the executable. And like delta and naked are saying, searching is much quicker than using the start menu as well if you'd rather go that route.

It's just so much simpler now, imo, but I understand why some people don't like seeing something go that they've grown accustomed to since Windows 95. Hopefully they add the option to use the old Start Menu for those who prefer it but personally I wouldn't go back to it even if I had the option.

20. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Who said it was?
    Just because one knows how to use it does not automatically mean one thinks its good.

Windows 8 pro is on my laptop, been there since Win8 was released, but that tablet wannabe OS is never setting one byte on primary workstation and gaming rig.