EA: DRM is a failed dead-end strategy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    BS, no offense to you but BS. EA has been caught lying several times now. Now you think its ok to believe them? They are talking out their ass to save face plain and simple. EA has lied every step of the way about the fiasco of SimCity, first they said (through Maxis) that servers were needed to "offload computations [that desktops cant handle]", proven false, then they said it would require massive coding that was not feasible to make an offline mode, once again, that was proven false, finally with the pants around their ankles they finally just said "fine, no single player because we didnt want to, anyone who wanted it well FU".

Now, they are once again, trying to lie their way out of this PR nightmare they created themselves.

Whether you like the games the developers under EA make, or hell, even if you like Origin, the facts are EA has been trying to shoehorn their way into the DD market by forcing Origin, tried to kill off modding communities in order to monetize DLC, and thinking of every creative way they can manipulate the community to accept DRM to lock down users also killing second hand sales. NONE of this is because they want to make better games. No, the developers want to make better games, EA is a corporation whose sole purpose is to maximize their profits with any business scheme they can imagine.

EA isnt alone in this, several other publishers do the same thing. It's sad really, because there are tons of really talented people who love games, who put their sweat and tears into making games for all of us who love games. They are the artists and almost none of us would balk about supporting artists, it's the greedy middlemen that **** us both.

It is quite like the motion picture industry used to be, where major studios "owned" actors and they basically acted like their slaves while under contract, if you didn't like how your contract was, you couldn't get work anywhere in hollywood. Luckily we have things like Kickstarter and other Indie publishers that create games without those middlemen and we can enjoy the art that games are without all this BS.

/rant over (and not all directed at you whoever it was I was responding to)

2. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    ^ nice words sir :) You should replace the EA CEO right away haha

3. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    PFFT!! EA doing Damage Limitation via BS!!

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This statement from ea read like a delayed, well thought out piece of damage control. What was said in that article is something that should of been said the moment the issue of sim city being online only was mentioned, it should not have taken as long as it has for a statement of clarification to be published.

Though blantantly saying the new sim city was practically going to be an MMO wouldnt of done wonders for pre-orders and first week sales though, right.

I call bollocks on this one, imo.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    So DRM is a failed dead end? There's a condensending wonka meme in here somewhere. I just cant think of one rigght now. I think it would be best for the entire industry if EA went the way of THQ.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That would be horrible for the industry considering how large it is. A bloodied nose every now and then would keep them grounded :p

7. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    I can imagine this :). In the meeting, before failure:

Creative Person: Let’s take advantage of progress in hardware and make new SimCity game better by improving graphics, making city bigger and economy engine more sophisticated.

EA CEO: That’s all good, but how can we take full control over customers and sell them more stuff?

Creative Person: We can run half of the game on-line, disable community modding and force them to buy all extras from us only. Of course, it’s a bad idea, because game performance will suffer and people won't like it.

EA CEO: Yeah, let’s do it anyway, I am sure that our PR department can brainwash our customers into liking it and we will be laughing all the way to the bank.

--- After failure:

EA CEO: It is creative peoples' fault.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  8. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Now that's funny! And true too! :)

9. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    So full of BS.
    A true MMORPG cannot be played offline no matter what you do to it, its simply just a client that depends on the servers.
    In SimCity's case the online dependancy is completely artificial, as its been proven that the core game data and processes are carried out locally, not on an online server like an MMO.

SimCity also fails immensly because nobody wanted SimCity to try and be an MMO, people were perfectly content with the singleplayer experience and the ability to create custom content such as with SCURK and BAT.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Any stats of how many are playing now v/s people who were attempting to play at around launch time?

11. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    The "We never forced the dev team to make the game always online!" justifies nothing.

I've seen a few of their employees talk, and they're literally EA drones. They probably think its the greatest thing ever so EA doesn't actually needs to force anyone to do anything, they'll just do it out of their own bricked minds.

They're lost inside their own bubble, devs, management, marketing, everyone.

12. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    Completely agree with above. Sim City has always been single player. Not every game needs or should be multieplayer only. The could have left single player and added multieplayer to it. If they had done that I would say OK that always on DRM was not there intent but as it is that is the only conclusion I can come to. They ruined yet another game by making it a always on MMO type game that I will never play just like Diablo III.

I am not going to buy any game that I may not be able to play a few years down the road because the servers that are needed to play it are no longer online. And that is something that EA and others need to start understanding when they try to take a game that has always been single player and strip every thing out of it that made it a good solid single player game.

13. McNasty

McNasty Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580 Classy SLI
    @Stukov
    Bravo my friend! People are so stupid. Is this not the same company that was caught cutting and pasting skins over a previous version of FIFA 12 and selling it as FIFA 13? Now you clowns believe the company when they say that introducing DRM to a HISTORICALLY SINGLE PLAYER GAME wasn't done with intent on totally controlling the end user? You clowns that believe the suits at EA deserve actually what they give you, and that's thier @$$ to kiss as they steal your money. And I see Sim City is still selling like hotcakes, fools.

14. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I've always found it both astonishing and bewildering how easily people lap up unsubstantiated PR drivel, especially from companies with the track record of EA. It defies logic, beggars belief and yet, here it is, right in our faces.

15. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    not just FIFA, NBA Live series too! lol. that's why their NBA-games have long been killed by 2k games! lol

16. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    Im sorry EA but this is utter horse ****(well presented though).

I find myself in a minority of PC Gamers that dont have constant internet connection(oil rig) and i would LOVE to play this game, however i refuse to pay for a game that i can only use when i am at home.

Its like taking our car insurance that only covers you in a 300 mile radius of your home, fine for most but still a very unfair arbitrary policy, some forward thinking wouldnt go amiss here.

I also find it hard to believe that NONE of the dev team took issue with the online, always part of the product, even if you dont want to call it DRM there is still a very definite case of making a clearly single player game forced in to a multiplayer role.

Come on - Steam Offline Mode - not hard to emulate is it.

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    same here, I said I would never give them another cent after the trash they made that is called BF3 and now BF4 which looks like Crysis raped COD4 and BF4 is the off spring. BF1942 and Vietnam were the best, full of great game play, team work and no stats and ranks that ruined the games with a way to build upon both from a massive mod community. I played BF2 for a very long time but the more and more I read into BF3 the more I felt they went into the wrong direction. Graphics such as what BF4 and 3 have are not what makes a great game... its game play, the rag doll fun effect, the ability to just jump on and play without going thru ignorance we all know of as Origin.

Ugg.... I puke everytime I start ranting about it. :puke2:

18. loop29

loop29 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Sooooo much bull**** in one interview, this is so funny. Now he starts the interview with pretending that DRM never was their intention and jibbers about how it was a creative decision.
    And then he goes repeating himself like 3 or 4 times through the whole interview.
    You know things cannot become more true because you state them like 3 or 4 times, basic error people are making trying to hide the truth from you.

Sorry Gibeau, you´re so full of it...