Unofficial Steam Box Will Launch This Holiday

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The first unofficial Steam Box console called Xi3's Piston will launch this holiday at a starting price of $1,000, the hardware manufacturer announced. Pre-orders can be made from their website, and ...

Unofficial Steam Box Will Launch This Holiday

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It's cool that it's small and not horrible looking for living room, the price for a PC which is as easy to upgrade as a console and about as fast... Meh. I dont get why people are interested in this ?

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...expensive paperweight

if it was 200-300 dollars, at max, then maybe

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's a 3.2GHz quad core A10 with a 7660? I'm not sure what's more horrendous, that or Sony's preliminary plan for a 1.6GHz octo core A10 console.

Sounds like a $250 machine.

5. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Console can get away with less power spec due to codes and API are optimize for 1 and only 1 specification. For PC, its a different story, you have varies API and library which are optimize for the OS and the OS manage the interaction between the OS and the different hardware combination which may or may not be optimize due to catering for as many specification as possible.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm aware. But we're talking about machines which will have to do for the next 6 years at the least. We're going to be held back by consoles again. It's not even like they picked middle range technology, this is bottom of the barrel reject trash. The last time they went with high end to relatively high end (modified 7800) GPUs and unique CPUs which they thought could be optimal for consoles. This time around it's the cheapest trash they think they can get away with while still getting a large boost in power.

Seriously? An A10? There is a reason why laptops containing these AMD chips can be found for $200-$400. The difference is that those are higher clocked than what will be in the consoles.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    damn i can buy parts for less the half those prices and build better system, that will do the same thing. minus the whole it will fit in shoe box....

8. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    I believe the 7900s in the ps3 was already garbage by the time they released the console :-/ so they are doing the same, what was expensive was the blu-ray player etc

9. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    I agree that console should have better power compare to PC because unlike PC, the console lives longer and the spec cannot be changed which will lead to outdated tech and power in few years.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Get a Micro ATX motherboard, good enough. 8.9"x6.8", not exactly large: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130661

Throw in a $100 A8-5600K (3.6GHz Quad) and $20 worth of RAM, and the cheapest PSU you can find and you got yourself a Steam Box. The difference being that this one can OC and costs around $200... that and of course it can be upgraded.

Edit: My bad, I keep forgetting A10s are available, make that a $120 A10-5800K that's a 3.8GHz Quad, beats the Steam Box's A10. :wanker:

11. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Agreed. It's price will kill whatever little hope it had. Combine that with the PS4 and Xbox 720 coming out, no one is going to get a Steam box but a few die hard fans this winter.

Valve is going to burn out one day. They need to get it out of their heads that Steam will continue on forever.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I couldn't care less how small this thing is, it's still a PoS...

They're boasting about it's portable size yet it's the reason why it sucks. It's too small for decent hardware.

Also charging $1,000? Who do they think they are? Apple?...psshh

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    was thinking more along the lines of Sonys size balls for the price of the ps3 when it laucnhed or maybe the bigger size balls that neogeo had,but think most that come from prices of those game cartridges .

Either way that price is ridiculous for something i computer can do for less and most likely better, it just wont fit in shoe box.

Personally I would buy another computer and put it together for less and still have far superior system before I would pay that price just cause it tiny

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    My problem with it is that the parts can be more or less bought at any computer shop for under $250. Let's say their small motherboard, PSU and stupid case cost a good deal more and they need money to cover their donut costs, that's still under $350 at RETAIL price, not what they pay for it which would be substantially less.

$120 A10, $20 RAM, $30 PSU, $50 mobo. $200 not including a case. Am I missing something here?

15. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    It's not only that it's overpriced, but name one game that will be a Steam Box exclusive that isn't going to be released on either the PS4 or Xbox 720. I can't even think of many PC exclusives they're going to have that's going to make people want this thing.

16. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    It better give blowjobs too for that price.

$1000 in this economy... They're dreaming.

17. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    “Given the amount of awards, media attention and gamer interest the PISTON Console has generated since it was unveiled at CES 2013 in January, we’ve become seriously concerned that we will not be able to meet the demand for PISTON Consoles this year,”

This made me laugh.

Looking at those specs, people can enjoy all the indie games their hearts desire. Next gen consoles are around the corner, meaning next gen graphics for console and pc... goodbye piston. Alternatively they could go buy a PC for the same amount that can handle everything and then some.

Valve have some work to do if they're offering is going to be worthy.

From what I understand this thing is just a PC playing PC games correct? Or is it a separate platform from PC that developers are going to optimize their games for?

18. ibitato

ibitato Guest

wait and see...... how the market behaves wayyyy out of our understanding

I bet the will sell ok.

19. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX570
    $1000????

I am interested in seeing how this progresses, I won't be buying one at that price.

Someone already said it's $250 max and that's the price I had in mind, an ATOM based Zotac Box is better value and probably more powerful.

The Intel NUC looks like a winner too if that's the price of these.

20. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    This isn't actually Valve's Steam Box though, right?

This is just Xi3's own 'console' that runs Big Picture Mode. It's been around in the news for a little while and we were all disappointed with the Steam Box but turned out the Piston is just another of Xi3's own machines.

Saying that though, I guess this might be a clue as to what Valve could be doing with their Steam Box but heres hoping it's something different to the Xi3 and a lot less expensive.