GTX 690 or GTX Titan?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stryder8701, Feb 19, 2013.

1. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Yes. Depending on the availability, I'm going for 2-Way or 3-Way TITAN SLI.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ok im lying, I get lots and lots of microstuttering and i continue to play my games at an inferior level to everyone else,OK:)

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    its not evident on my setup and I had a lot of sli cards that had it. if its there its ever so slightly

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Sykozis why dont you google Hardware based Frame metering.
    That should answer the question that 1000 reviews of the 690 has already answered.

Im sick of explaining to people that 690 was designed differently to other dual cards.

If you cant be bothered to research it then GTFO.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    ALL Multi gpu configs get microstuttering. Its not possible to not have it to some extent unless your get rid of AFR. You will always have it until we find another technique to render graphics. Nvidia has lessened this effect very much starting with fermi, and more-so with kepler. Regardless, its still there. 690s are no different than 2-way sli 680s regarding microstuttering.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes but it is no where near as bad as my 6950CF setup I had in the past.

7. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
  8. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    And I would get a 690 over a titan for now. Im using 4 cards im not experiencing this what u called microstuttering even on 580's "soon to be 680 tri-sli in march" heres a vid to prove it crysis 3 maxed out not one single microstutter.

4 580's crysis 3 maxed out at 1920 x 1080 no microstuttering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKdSF12vrqQ

Heres 26 minutes of BF3 in karkand 64 player maps not one single microstutter even on 4 580's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rSlASgl9m4

heres a neat little trick to help improve microstuttering on multigpu set up, just go to your bios and up your IOH and PCH voltage. the more cards you have the higher u have to set it to.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. KingGladiator

KingGladiator Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX AMP 3gb sli
    690 is a pretty poor purchase at this point in time IMO

There is no upgrade path (another 690 stuck @ 2gb VRAM with poor 4GPU scaling? No thanks)

You will get half a generation out of it then sell it at a big loss

At least with the Titan you can SLI it at a later date and be sure that it will last a few years

If looking at this gen I would look at 2x 4gb OC'd 670's or 680's - same cost, more performance, more vram, upgrade path to triple SLI all equating to more lastability before the next upgrade

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Frame metering is available on all Keplar cards but the 690 has Hardware based Frame metering.

I dont see any of it and if i did i woulda got rid of my card long ago and warned other users about the stuttering with the 690.

Trust me if im unhappy about something wether hardware/software related i will let everyone know which im sure you are aware about.

If the 690 was plagued with Stuttering issues it will be well known and reported on many forums all over the internet.

Ive owned more gpus through my gaming life than 99% of people on this forum so i would know if im experiencing stuttering or not.

The only people i will listen to about there experience are other users who have 690's as there findings are more credible and ive yet to find 1 post on Guru3D from other 690 owners about stuttering.

Theres a massive thread on the 690 over at overclock.net and ive read pretty much all of it as i had my card since day 1(Im 8th place in the ownership list) and i have not seen a single post about microstuttering issue on 690, but there are plenty of posts in there regarding Stuttering about people who had AMD cards in CFX and terrible stutter but that is another topic.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1249960/official-nvidia-gtx-690-owners-club

I never got any stuttering with SPCB 295's either while vsync was enabled, although i did experience stuttering more with the Dual PCB 295's (they were crap tbh) which is why i went and spent another £800 and replaced them with SPCB cards.

Why dont you guys that are so concerned with Stuttering go and buy a 690, Test it and then send the card back regarding DSR and get your money back.

Then you will know for sure about the stuttering issue which apparently plagues the 690 so badly.

As usual people who dont own the card seem to think they know more than the people that actually own the 690 and use it everyday.

Source
    Translate this page, Tests done.
    http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2012/test-nvidia-geforce-gtx-690/8/

The results of the GeForce GTX 690 surprised us. Because the frame distribution is 42-29 milliseconds, which is once again significantly better than the normal SLI system. Even at 30 frames per second, we can only detect a minimal difference for single-GPU configurations that are so absolutely playable! In other titles are repeated this result, it is therefore justified not only with the game.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Microstuttering is still there. Thats' a fact, i didnt say anything about it being noticeable. Most people shouldnt notice it, as frametime is usually very low. But that doesnt mean its not there because you cant notice it. I had a 690 temporarily, i have a very acute sense for visual things like that. Its much less noticeable than 580 sli that i had, about the same as my 2 680s. The only reason the 690 has slightly lower frametime( usually a few ms better than sli 680s) is due to the onboard bridging PLX chip. (btw The GTX 590/295 used a NF200 bridging chip, this thing was somewhat bad and added unneeded latency.) This reduces latency as it combines it into a single pcie X16 interface. 680 sli are required to travel more distance until they reach the CPUs PCIe controller.

GTX690 ---16 PCIe lanes --- CPU
    GTX680 --- PCIe lanes --- CPU --- PCIe lanes --- GTX680

Recap, ALL multigpus will have microstuttering to some extent, regardless if you can see it or not, this is a limitation of AFR.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    too bad sfr has such a tremendous performance hit

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yep.. no idea when a new rendering technique will be out..

14. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    the smartest thing to do for people who already have a gtx 680 or 690 is wait a few months for the Maxwell GPU "which will totally destroy anything titan has to offer"

we should expect to see it at the end of this year so for me it's haswell in june or ivybride E 8core in fall and possibly Maxwell in fall early 2014.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    maxwell is 2014 me thinks

16. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I don't know where you got that from.
    Unfortunately, TSMC is stuck with 28nm. Even though AMD wanted to go Sea Islands and Nvidia wants to go Maxwell this year, they can't. That's why they were postponed to 2014.

What you should see end of this year (or early next year) from Nvidia is that refresh of GK104 which is GK114 (GTX 7xx) series.

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If they refresh the GK104 they better give us a 384-bit memory bus on the 770 and 780 or atleast the 780 and do a GK110 respin and call it the 785.

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

Nice explanation.....However at the end of the day as long as i cant see it and more importantly it dont effect my gaming experience which it dont then i couldnt give a toss just like the many many other people who have 690's and have reported no problems.

I even play my games now downsampled at 2880*1800 because the card has the power, If it had any stutter then i wouldnt be at this res and i would let people know how **** the card is for £900 and get rid of it.

Like i said before in other threads when the same annoying question keeps getting repeated on a daily basis i give the same answer "The 690 is just as good or better than cards in SLI regarding stutter because of the way it was designed"

Its been tested and documented by various sources including most importantly....The Users!

And maybe you do have an Acute sense to things but remember PC's do and can react differently from person to person, setup to setup.

What you may experience may be different to somebody else and vice versa.

If other people who are so concerned about it and cant be bothered to Investigate, Research and provide Analysis then i suggest they go buy a 690 and go see for themselves, put there money where there mouth is and stop sprouting Tosh especially when they dont even own the card and are judging it by old Dual card technology.

Assumption is the mother of all ****ups as they say:)

Anyhow bedtime for me

19. flexus

flexus Guest

GPU:
    2 x Radeon 6950
    But test shows that frame latency is pretty high on 690 compared to single GPU cards?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-performance-review,3442-3.html

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20