HD 7xxx drivers for flicker/BSOD fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vejn, Sep 10, 2012.

1. rakee18

rakee18 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580 Matrix
    It was changeable in 13.b2 just try it out yourself.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well afaik the driver default is 3, however I have it set to 0 in RP and it shows up in my reg as hex 30 so I assume it can be changed....

Jap would know for sure since he deals with AMD devs. Though I doubt he'd leave the option in RP if it wasn't adjustable....

[​IMG]

Mind you windows also tells me I have a 6950 so who knows? lol

[​IMG]

Btw @Mac did you sort out the AIDA64 vgpu values? :p Core is target provided by ADL vrm reading is actual.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    unfortunately, no.

Aida64 uses ADL, which means bios or soft-powerplay...

any tweaks by trixx/AB/etc, are not registered with ADL

Fiery mucked around in the registers, but he was unsucessful.

unless W1zzard, or Unwinder want to expose which locations they poke, its a no go....

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    AIDA64 doesn't just use ADL it also reads from the hardware which in this case is a CHiL 8228G buck converter.

Did you not see my post on the support forums in reply to yours?

High Level is software.....Low Level is hardware:

[​IMG]

The GPU core reading is provided by ADL and is nothing more than a VID.

The REAL data is actually taken from the VRM, but as far as you and I go it's VGPU.....since there is no sensor on the GPU..... so VRM=GPU.

This is the same as what you see in GPU-Z and MSI AB (AB needs writeback=0 added to .config).

Hope this helps....

[​IMG]

5. id0l

id0l Banned

GPU:
    Radeon 7870 GHz Ed. 2GB
    Seeing the artifacts/flickering occasionally in War Thunder. Using 13.6 beta 2 on a 7870 GHZ Edition.

I believe War Thunder is still DirectX 9, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

6. BahamutZ

BahamutZ Guest

GPU:
    Rad 7950 3gb OC Sapphire
    I have this same issue. It is very frustrating.

I have the Sapphire 7950 3gb OC edition.
    Default clocks for this were Core - 925 and Memory 1250.

Unfortunately it is only sometimes stable (no flickering as described) at these clocks. It certainly was stable originally. It seems to be dependent on the memory clock on whether or not the flickering occurs, but it seems just so random.

For instance, I was playing FFXIV just now for 2 hours at a core/memory setting that didnt have the issue, then suddenly out of nowhere it began happening. Now, the flickering won't disappear until I decrease the memory clock to about 860 Mhz. Core clock seems to make no difference.

It is frustrating because I know at some point, I could boost the clocks up past the OC default of the card and the issue wont be there. Of course it will then come back...randomly.

7. fasor

fasor Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GForce 750Ti 2Gb
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light flickers with 13.10 beta
    and i suppose with all other drivers too =)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  8. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Yup... It's DX9 and indeed, the same kind of corruptions still occur with 13.10 beta. They really seem like memory corruptions; defective memory or something. If you remember, there's a VRAM testing tool that gives memory errors on 7000 series only. After months some said "it's because the utility is old" but we never saw and updated version that passes the tests.

Meanwhile, Firefox developers confirm too that the corruptions we see on the browser it's because of VRAM corruptions... I strongly believe Cat. devs apply a 'workaround' on each problematic game or program separately. Obviously War Thunder haven't been tweaked yet by Catalyst devs the defective memory kicks in...

We got pwned with 7000 series. I guess 9000 series will be O.K. on this front.

The sad is that I was always getting Intel+Nvidia... for more than 12 years of PC parts purchases. Just once I -admittedly tentatively- got AMD GPU and heavily regretted it. 60% ASIC and memory corruptions.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  9. jlow0214

jlow0214 Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD 7950 OC
    Just bought 7950 OC version

so after reading a lot of this thread..... its pretty safe to say my card isn't bad and it is the drivers?????? I only experience the flickers when trying to play games. I literally bought and installed it 3 days ago. should I return it and get something else???

10. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    This issue is pretty much gone since 13.4. Your issue may be game related or related to a bad card/overclock.

I played war thunder. Didn't notice any flicker there and you know im one of the very first persons who noticed there was smth wrong with Flickering so i know what "we are looking for". To be honest i didn't expierience any flickering since 13.4 and if i did it was game related and also happend on NV.

About the "ram tool" it is pretty much just a programm error (bad code or smth) and there was some links some time ago where this thing was discussed already.
    About firefox i don't know. I never had this issue.
    But i doubt that AMD is using a workaround for every engine. You know i play so many different DX9 games. Even some really unpopular indie games and even they were fixed after 13.4.
    But on the other side im not a driver dev and i wonder if it is ever smth different than just "work arounds" when issues are happening (no matter if it is AMD or NV). I guess thats what driver devs do :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013

11. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Ha, first time getting an AMD card (two actually), and both are having fan issues, flickering (in Windows and in a few games), and idle black screen death. Second RMA already for fan death and its been only seven months. Next purchase... I will seriously have to browse the forums more than just looking at performance data.

12. Jimmy Gibbs Jr.

Jimmy Gibbs Jr. Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 OC 2GB
    Desperate...

Hi everyone.

I have to share my pain with some more experienced users in case I might just finoud out the right thing to do. :bang:

My specs:

ASUS H87 PLUS
    i5 4570 3,2 GHz
    8GB RAM Gskill 1600
    PSU OCZ 600W
    SAMSUNG EVO SSD 120GB
    Windows 7 64 bit

Two days ago I upgraded my Sapphire 6670 1GB DDR5 to an MSI 7850 OC 2GB. It's been 2 very difficult days. Main problem is that the card is artifacting in some games and also sometimes flickering when I browse with Firefox (both when using DVI or a DVI-VGA adapter). My monitor is a BenQ make, rather old, maxes at 1280x1024 resolution.

In Skyrim I see flashing pixels at random times if I play at any resolution higher than 1024x768. The same stands for Metro 2033 (those flashing pixely artifacts and also CTD followed by the "display driver stopped.." message), however, if I switch to DirectX 10 or 11 the game runs without problems, even at 1280x1024. RAGE and Left 4 Dead 2 are the other 2 games installed at the moment and they both run without problems. I wanted to install more games from steam (especially DX9 games) and test further, but here is what I actually did. I thought that maybe my new card and my old monitor were not best buddies so I went to my HD TV. Used the HDMI port to connect and tested games at hi-res (that's why I got the bloody 7850 in the first place, planning to buy a good HD pc monitor). Metro 2033 at 1080, frequent flashes and artifacts, skyrim as well. RAGE and L4D2 were still fine. I have tried:

-Altering the 2d/3d clocks with Afterburner and Asus gpu tweak,
    -Catalyst 13.1 and 13.12 drivers(with 13.12 the DVI port of the card was acting stupid with the little monitor, basically refusing to light up on startup, had to replug to get some picture)
    -underclocking the memory clock
    -increasing voltage (sice this is a factory OC card and maybe needs some extra juice. V was set at 1138 I raised it to 1225)
    -Switching on/off AA, Vsync

Nothing worked. I was almost certain this was a skyrim issue but when I saw the same pixels in Metro 2033 I was mortified and convinced it's the GPU. I will test more games tonight and see what happens at hi-res with games like Fallout NV, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 2 and Guild Wars 2 but I was hoping for some advice too. Should I RMA the card or insist on fixing the issues? I would give the extra 30-40 € and go for a 7870 or a R9 270. I have read soo many posts from heart-broken AMD 7xxx owners and I don't know what to do.

To anyone who actually took the trouble to read my huge post: You are awesome and you have my sincere thanks. I'd be eternally grateful if you could help.

My kindest regards.

13. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Guest

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    I installed catalyst 13.12 then I forgot doing a sweepeing before, so I did a sweep then re-installed(ofcourse uninstalled first as in amd's recommendation) then I think directx got corrupt because only 1 game has flickering and only when I run it in admin-privileges mode. I dont know why. Also catzilla benchmark started to lock-up.

Flickering doesnt showup if I run the game just double-clicking. When in admin-mode, even lowering vram/gpu to minimum doesnt decrease the flickering. Adding voltage didnt help too. I just wondered what could cause flickering in admin mode and not flickering in normal mode.

Has anyone seen any flickering after catalyst 13.12?

Note: the flickering is like stretching a NPC and changing the texture to another thing's texture and this happens ground textures and some sky textures. Like its limbo.

Note2: Im testing my cards memory by my opencl fluid benchmark and it works fine. If catalyst is optimized to stay away from a part of a memory bank why doesnt amd release the error checker to let us shut that bank down by a software? So we can continue at least?

Deep note: I dont see any whql sign in the "dxdiag" and 64 bit version of it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  14. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    You might want to try disabling ULPS in Afterburner and see if that helps.
    Firefox will artifact, its a driver issue that has not been fixed yet. Just try to ignore them or use Chrome/IE/etc. Regarding artifacts in games, what temperatures are you hitting? It shouldn't be showing artifacts or crashing.

My 7950s still occasionally doesn't wake up properly if I allow them to turn the monitor off (permanent black screen). They also are finicky with multiple displays and sometimes don't display anything unless I replug the connectors.

I pretty much just disabled ULPS and auto screen off and its fairly stable now.

As a last resort, sometimes its also best to install Windows onto another partition or hard drive if you have a spare and try to isolate if its a software issue (countless "weird" issues are fixed this way).

15. Jimmy Gibbs Jr.

Jimmy Gibbs Jr. Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 OC 2GB
    OK, so I have a few pics and a little update after some thorough testing.

- i was trying to post pics but the forum doesnt let me :( -
    (photos show checkerboard artifacts in Skyrim, Metro 2033, Fallout NV and borderlands 2)

GPU temp hovers around 45 and peaks at 50 C. GPU usage is between 50-90 % at all games (usually hovering around 70% and spiking at 90%)
    Core clock is fixed at 900MHz under load and 300MHz idle while Memory clock is 1200MHz load and 150MHz idle.
    The artifacts appear on both monitors (my 1280x1024 BenQ and also the big HD TV downstairs at 1920x1080)
    I am inclined to RMA the card tomorrow or the day after, I just want to exhaust the possibility that this might be some other hardware-related fault which I have yet not discovered (I would be really miserable If I get a replacement 7850 or If I buy a 7870 with the refund money and still have the same problems). Before packing the box to send the card back I will try the other PCI slot on the mobo. I don't want to flash the BIOS and risk frying up things, my ASUS H87 is brand new, I think newer than the GPU, and the whole computer worked fine with the previous 6670 card. RAM should be ok too.

I have tried catalyst 13.1, 13.12, and 12.6 with the same results. One interesting thing is that fallout, when auto-detecting specs, sets the game setting to medium quality, which I find hilarious but leads me to believe that the card is indeed the culprit. Needless to say that I could play at ultra high with the 6670.

For powering the card I am using the pci-e extension from the PSU not the double molex to 6-pin that came with the card and judging from my devices i shouldnt be using more than 350-375 W at highest loads.

Once again any thoughts, suggestions or expertise would be greatly appreciated.
    Happy new year folks :)
    It's gonna be a good one...

16. Jimmy Gibbs Jr.

Jimmy Gibbs Jr. Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 OC 2GB
    I have packed the card and I'm ready to ship it. The retailer offers to replace the card, give me a full refund or send another card (and I'll just pay the difference). I just noticed that almost all cards are 7-10€ cheaper if I get the 2gb version instead of the 1gb. Same model either OC or not, full retail or lite retail... The same card, 2gb is cheaper. Stands for MSI, Sapphire, ASUS etc.. What the hell is going on here??

17. chix_AHOY

chix_AHOY Active Member

GPU:
    RX 470 4gb
    my 7850 mem clock is stuck at 1200, i will try AGAIN different catalyst to see if it idles at 150. don't know if it's a driver problem or just a bad card, i'm still in hoping i can sort this problem...

18. Jimmy Gibbs Jr.

Jimmy Gibbs Jr. Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 OC 2GB
    I am inclined to blame the MSI OC version (or that one particular card which was probably a dodgy individual). If the Sapphire 7850 non-OC (arriving on Monday) is also iffy I suppose it's either my mobo compatibility with the 7850 series or some sort of thing that I haven't figured out yet (drivers, BIOS...I doubt it's my PSU it's OCZ 600W, but then again you never know). I shall post on Tuesday again and let you know (those who are interested).

;)

19. Jimmy Gibbs Jr.

Jimmy Gibbs Jr. Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 OC 2GB
    Sapphire 7850 arrived today. Works like a charm, with latest Catalyst (13.12). Metro 2033 doesn't care if I use DX9 or whatever, It doesn't glitch, Skyrim doesn't glitch, Borderlands doesn't glitch, Fallout auto-detects ultra high setting and .... doesn't glitch. No flickering in firefox. Don't know what else to say. Either that one first card was a dud or you all should stay away from that cheap factory-OCed MSI 7850 2GB. In any case, the new card is flawless and I am a happy man! :)

20. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700(non-xt)
    Texture flickering issues stopped for after a couple of drivers when this thread was made.

Then again it was subtle for me anyway.