Introducing NVIDIA HairWorks: fur and hair simulation solution - Q&A with NVIDIA

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Spets, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_hairworks_cod_ghosts_fur_and_hair_simulation_solution.html

Full interview:
    http://physxinfo.com/news/12197/introducing-nvidia-hairworks-fur-and-hair-simulation-solution/

2. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Typical BS by nV. The same effect can be achieved without Physx.
    At least when AMD does it's an open standard.

3. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Good point mR Yellow. Most of the stuff Nvidia does fails anyway. Look at Physx Bad performance for what you get and problems with compatibility down the line.

4. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Ok, so they gave the dog some new physics.... nice, ok, but they forgot to have a look at real dogs it seems... I've never seen a german shepherd with fur moving that way. Kind of funny and at the same time pathetic.

5. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Looks much better with the fur, I dont get why some people cry about company's spending time and money on projects and then not openly giving the tech or w/e away is all about, must be some thing like self entitlement mentality or some thing.

If AMD wants to spend it time and money on this type stuff instead of fixing it's drivers good for them, if you want to buy it from them good for you, but bitching about it all the time is lame. You need to wake up this is not a communist ran economy where every thing is given out equally.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Seriously though, my fps cripples from solid 60 to 20 when I turn this feature on. It's unplayable.

7. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    The only game which I have played and enjoyed PhisX was Borderlands 2 and as far as I know those effects can be enabled by an .ini for AMD cards..

8. SapphireLynx

SapphireLynx Guest

GPU:
    Msi GTX 760 SLI 1200/1700
    even with 760 SLI i cant turn physx on in most games, the fps just plummets...

lol... must admit when my buddy showed me tressfx tomb raider hair i was blown away. might get a 290 on water here soon.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It is obvious none of you read the artical this is direct compute it's not cuda based AMD can use it get off your PhysX bashing.

10. VanPersie

VanPersie Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570
    AMD lunatics are butthurt again. Only poorAMDfags can't see difference between on/off Physx. Pathetic AMD lunatics ignoring Tom Raider performance drop with TressFX enabled. Only bald AMD lunatics are amazed by plastic threes branch which AMD dare to call hairs. HairWorks using tessellation and directcompute. Very well advertised by AMD. Looks like AMD is kicked by open standards.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gimme hairworks Doge. thx.

12. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    I noticed the same, looks like this dog take a bad with air conditioner.

13. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    There might be confusion as the front page news has "Obviously PhysX based once again." written as part of the intro to the video.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvidia_hairworks_cod_ghosts_fur_and_hair_simulation_solution.html

I'm glad to see that now we know from the article that it's "DirectCompute, which opens it for AMD users as well."

http://physxinfo.com/news/12197/introducing-nvidia-hairworks-fur-and-hair-simulation-solution/

14. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Plummets from how much to how much? and what games have you played? All physx games i've tried worked well with my 760, certainly didn't have any fps drops that i would use the word "plummet" to describe . Usually i have 35+ fps (mainly the most taxing one till now is Black Flag). The only game that i would call bad with physx is Cryostasis but thats just an optimization mess.

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Hilbert really should fix that 'obviously PhysX based' statement.
    It's practically nothing but flamebait.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce cards have had an artificial limit on their compute performance since, afaik, the 500 series. I hope this leads to that being removed?

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Try mirrors edge.

18. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Your the weakest link, goodbye.

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    And yet, without even opening the article, the OP's quote says the implementation uses DirectCompute which is not vendor dependent.

20. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    So much hate, hilarious! Not quite as good as your eugenics for AMD owners but still good.

In before the ban!