3930K Advanced Overclocking

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by BLEH!, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Cool, maybe time for a cooler upgrade then. I've also considered throwing my rig back in my HAF-X for better airflow, that would probably help a bit, too. I've got the side off the DS1 atm.

2. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    That could help but i still think a cooler upgrade is a better choice,but You can give it a try and post your results.

Cheers have a good weekend m8

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Cheers mate, I'm having a weekend away anyhoo, so the PC won't be doing anything :p

4. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Well then You have the entire weekend To think about solving This :nerd: have a good weekend :)

5. hold_on_tight

hold_on_tight Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti
    You need more cpu voltage :)

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Please read the previous posts. I DO NOT need an extra +0.05V to go from HT off to HT on at any other clock frequency. The temps are at their limits at 4.3, anyway. I need better cooling before going any higher.

7. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
  8. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Depending on your CPU being c1 or c2, vtt becomes very important near high overclock. Try 1.35v for c1 or 1.15v with c2. .

The others are CPU pll overvoltage and CPU voltage.

9. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Mines a C2

I've also just updated to the most recent BIOS (F5F), gunna give this a go from scratch with OCing, seems to have made some quite bit changes to things, so it could be interesting.

Like how I can no longer run my RAM faster than 1333 MHz for some reason...

Although XMP works at 1866 MHz, for some reason I can't manually set the same timings and run it at 1600. Maybe some voltage or secondary/tertiary timing issue, I'm not sure.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  10. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    With the UD4/UP4/UD5/UP5 Bioses they always screw something with the RAM :D

I had a similar issue with my RAM until I got one of the beta bioses of the F3 series for my board. I haven't upgraded my BIOS to the F7 version for the UP4 yet as I'm not willing to lose these settings just to allow support for a CPU I'll never buy...

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    How well do Gigabyte boards flash back to older BIOSes?

12. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Never had issues with flashing back, and if you screw up there is always a trick ;)copied from tweaktown ;) :
    1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
    2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
    3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
    4. The board will shut down.
    5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
    6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.

13. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Im also still on modified version of F3U :nerd:

14. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    One thing to remember is that sometimes on certain boards a double flash is required to get all BIOS components functioning correctly. This was the case with the X79S-UP5 and my old X79-UD5. So far the UP4 hasn't needed it, but if I ever change the BIOS I'll probably do a double flash anyway. When I say double I mean flash, reboot, enter bios, reboot, flash again.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Tried that, but it's flashed the backup as well. Stuck on F4/F5 BIOSes now, won't let me go back to F4x betas for some stupid reason.

Wish I was.

It seems that's what it's done TBH.

I've sent a tech support query to gigabyte about the RAM timing issue, it's not reading SPD properly, and setting XMP timings even at 1333. 1600 is unstable, XMP @ 1866 doesn't work, 1.25 x boot strap doesn't work either.

16. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    How did it override the second bios? I know that on my UD5 the BIOS borked twice and would only boot off blue instead of green, then later on it only booted off green not blue. Took hours of farting about and force starting it on the borked bios to get it to reflash.

Damn annoying really. If you want to get back to a beta bios, try flashing back to one of the really old ones that aren't beta (I think F2 usually works) and then back to the F4x beta you want to use again.

On a side note I noticed that SPD/XMP timings weren't read properly on my old UD5 and similar issues are on the UP5. Dunno why as they should be read directly off the modules, but something in the BIOS doesn't like it. If you know the correct timings enter them manually and you should be all good. One issue I ran into is the ranges for the timings can be more limited than the actual RAM timings for your modules which can be a bit annoying!

For the 1.25 boot strap, again that's very random and BIOS dependant. If it worked with the beta and not the official F4/F5's then go back to the beta to use it. Personally I run at 1.25 boot strap for the 5000MHz QPI link, though it forces me to downclock my RAM from 2133MHz to 2000MHz.

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I think it flashed both when it did the main one, for some reason. I'll give that F4x via F2 a go when I get home.

In addition to the RAM issues, it's also no having cold boot problems, thinks it's overclocked and enters BIOS, very annoying. I've tried entering manual timings for 1600 (even 2K XMP timings AND running it at 1.65 V), and it's still unstable. I think it's some 2nd/3rdary timing and/or voltage issue.

I've never been able to get the 1.25 boot strap running on this board, no matter what BIOS I try, it just resets and gives up.

18. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Did the CPU run it on another brand board?

Some CPU's just don't do it. An IT Tech down the coast had a 3820 which just wouldn't run 1.25. It can be board dependant but usually it's CPU dependant. I should note it does run fine on mine and has done on all the different BIOS tested. The memory however was broken on all other BIOS other than the one I currently run and XMP profiles wouldn't work.

When XMP fails to work correctly it also chucks that OC error, even though it's the RAM and it's not being OC'd :D

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Iunno. I'd have to ask the guy I bought it off. I'm in communication with Gigabyte now trying to get the thing sorted. Maybe I should've stuck with the RIV Formula it came with.

20. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Well the beginning of that thread by Sin over at Overclock.net that I linked above has as much detail on that board as you'll find anywhere else. So if you start from that and it's not working out then I'd probably try the RIV Formula as a test to see if it's the board or not (if that's still possible!).

Problem with 2011's is finding other boards for testing purposes, buying them often isn't the cheapest strategy :D