Xonar Essence ST Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, May 17, 2009.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

I have read information on the various chips awhile back and have them in my personal database. IIRC, the CS2000 is the top of the CS2XXX line.

There is info also to suggest the multiplier is highly accurate with less then 1ppm of error when used in high resolution mode so it will clean up the external XO signal quite good before sending the clocking signal to the other IC's.

Typical values are fine to give a idea of operation. but if their was a high degree of circuit tuning then the end results can be highly accurate depending on the supporting circuitry.

This chip can be found in a few high dollar SACD/blu-ray players and high end receivers.
    You have to factor the price of the card into the equation when considering the design. This will be possibly a $180 product as that is what the STX is price at..possibly less.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No either seem to work equally well from my experience.

3. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    I wasn't quite sure what they were on about with that Idea? I never got involved in that discussion, It all seemed like nonsense to me. Just wanted to know if there was any validity to the claim.

4. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    So ROBSCIX, What do you have the ST hooked up to ?
    (Electronics and speakers)

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just added some pictures. Pretty sure they are from the sneak Peak. I will look through and see if I have some others, that people may be interested in.

6. Thoppa

Thoppa New Member

GPU:
    ATI 3650
    Hi,

Thanks for posting the info.

If you have more pics of the clock section that would be wonderful !

I've been doing more reading on the CS2000 - it looks like a good solution !

http://www.cirrus.com/en/press/releases/P543.html

Yay ! I have listened to a DAC that had jitter reduction technology and it didn't sound that good so I came to think that reduction is no substitute for a good XO, but the CS2000 might make me change my mind. I'm quite excited to hear it - it's gonna be hard to wait .....

If the price is around the same as the STX then this card is great value ! Asus will definitely have a winner. I'd guess it'll be about 2 months before it appears in the shops.

Thanks again,

Tom

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  7. lilohtpc3

lilohtpc3 Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870X2 TOP/2G
    Yup, I really want to know more about Jitter.
    Can someone help share the experience with high/low jitter?

Thanks.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    This is not a case of the DAC having jitter reduction built in. This is a case of a extra chip applied ot the design to clean and stabalize the XO giving a high precision signal to the entire circuit.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There is a great deal of information on Jitter around the net. Some hate it some don't know what it is.

A good definition is "Jitter is how early or late a signal transition is, with reference to when it should transition."

To help define it a bit better. I am unsure how familiar you are with digital signals but they are simple a switch in level from 0 to 5 volts and back to zero. That could be considered as one timing pulse. When it starts and when it ends should be constant however if there is jitter in the timing signal when it starts and end varies..which is bad.

There are various types but usually this is the one we are most concerned with.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  10. Thoppa

Thoppa New Member

GPU:
    ATI 3650
    If anyone is interested in finding out more about digital sampling (over - up- asynchronous ) and jitter then here is a technical thread :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=28814&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I built a kit for my SACD player that uses the Ad1896 and a Tent Labs XO just to see if it would improve the quality as much as people on the forum were saying it would. I was absolutely staggered by the difference. The change was simply a more accurate and low-jitter hi-resolution digital output but the jump in quality was obvious.

Hooked on low jitter and clean power, I then went on to get my MD-10 DAC re-clocked and had the the power improved. Again, an incredible jump in quality.

So now I want to do the same with a sound card......hence my obsession with the clock circuit !

Unfortunately, I am getting to a quality plateau, that means I'm gonna have to start spending silly money on cables and the like. Audiophoole eh ?

Cheers

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am always looking for ways to improve things on my cards.
    It is nice that the companies are staring to build cards with improve parts and ciruict layouts. It is nice companies are building cards with sound quality as the main concern in the design.

12. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

av100 ? cmi8788 ?

being pci thats big plus for me

looks intriguing.. will have to give it a whirl

thanks rob

13. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Guess when I go to build my core i7 system this summer, I'm going to have to get a motherboard with a PCI slot...
    There goes the idea of getting an Asus P6T7 WS :cry:

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    AV100, audio controller.

15. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

lol i know rob.. just that av100 vs av200 is confusing

for goodness sake i hope h6 is not gonna be it/the ext card for st

i really hope they dedicate the same attention to the extension card that they have dedicated to the main.. center/subwoofer/rear are not important?

they are equally important to me and im sure to many others

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I also hope the extenesion card doesnt cost a arm and a leg.I also think they should have a spearwire extension card too besides banana plugs with powered/amp.

17. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

oh come on.. ok if $ is a big deal than st+h6 for you gen fine?

id happily pay 300-400$ for a fully fledged st/ext

im just sick and tired of makers disregarding the other channels.. especially center/subwoofer.. wft!?!

and the rear? i got floorstanding in the front and the rear and id like all ofem to sound the same.. is that too much to ask?

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @ Napalm, the H6 DAC expansion board have rather impressive specs also.

The main channels are 124dB SNR and the H6 DAC board is 120dB.
    You never know they may construct a board meant to better match the front channels specs.
    Both main card and H6 use the 3 opamp per stereo pair layout.

Cool thing about the desgin is you have a seperate I/V opamp for the center and subwoofer.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  19. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

please rob dont sugar coat it.. the diff between the main card and h6 is unacceptable!

they match the ext to the main and they get my $ if not forget it!

why not keep h6 for lower end and matching ext for higher end? ill pay the extra $ and im sure many other enthusiasts will

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am not sugar coating anything just carifying the specifications.
    As I suggested, you never know ASUS may build another card especially for use with the ST.