Sony PS4 Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by PhazeDelta1, Dec 7, 2014.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thought PS4 owners might be interested in these new Nyko PS4 peripherals:
    source:Eurogamer

Data Bank
    [​IMG]
    Keyboard
    [​IMG]

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Interesting case thing, looks a bit tacky, should match the matte on the front and just be shiny on top.

Still, shouldn't need it, sony just need to allow saving to external HDD, it's not as if USB3.0 isn't good enough.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I still don't understand how you make a console that requires game installs and push it to retail with 500GB. They should have had 1TB to start. I'd of gladly paid a little more at launch to just have the space.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Unless you go 2nd hand, its cheaper to buy a 1tb HDD new these days than a 500gb new, as most retailers will need to make a special order to stock such a redundant storage size.

5. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I don't really see the HDD size being that big of a problem really, they're cheap enough these days and upgrading the stock drive takes no time at all. Even easier now with update 2.00, you can backup the whole drive before installing the new HDD, which means you don't have to spend hours downloading all your games again which is always a plus.

I don't like the idea of having an external hard drive taking up a USB port all the time, wouldn't be so bad if the PS4 had a rear USB port so it was hidden away.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I know this that I will need to upgrade my PS4's hard drive if my PS4 game library expands to where my PS3 library is at right now. At some point I am hoping to get at least a 2tb for my PS4 unless Sony allows us to install our games to an external drive. What Sony can do to allow us to be able to install our games to an external HDD is have a console specific format where nothing but that console can read that. That is how the Wii-U handles external hard drives and that is how cable/satellite providers such as Dish Network handles external hard drives with their DVRs.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    500gb of storage should be enough if you tend to buy physical copies of game instead of downloading. I added a 1TB SSHD a couple of months back myself as it offered better performance over the default one.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Sony already did think about how it would not be enough space.
    thats why its so easy to swap a HDD , with even instruction videos from sony out the very first day it was released.
    The decision was purely based on money saving.
    I can see my 500GB HDD getting filled , especially when larger games become available through PSN+

Now for the last year, mostly indie games or small games have been released so its not a problem yet, but i can see it becoming one.

Im also gonna put a 2TB drive in there in the future. i thought about getting 1TB one, but i figured it would be a waste of money atm since i dont even fill 500GB yet, and by the time it would the 2TB ones would probably be the same price as the 1TB when i thought about getting one.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah 500gb should be enough for physical libraries which the rest of my games will be. But I may upgrade HDD in the future. My Ps3 still has its stock 250gb HDD and I have a few PSN games including 2 PS1 games and 1 PS3 game snd a PS3 arcade game.

10. Kodiak33

Kodiak33 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Not sure if this is always true, typically the game will fully install whether or not you have the disc or not. NBA 2K14 was about 50 gigs if I remember correctly.

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Yep, all games do full installs of their discs, discs are used for authentication really.

12. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Just as well the installs are pretty quick considering what it was like on the PS3 and X360 before it. I've already filled my 500gb drive up but when i look at the games installed it's stuff i haven't played for months (MGS5/KillZone/WatchDogs/Wolfenstein) so simply removed them. As mentioned previously by others a 2tb drive is the way to go in the long run.

13. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Installs take a while tbh, but most games start up from the disc and play while it finishes the install, I thought second sun ran from the disc because the disc noise is so loud, after a while it eventually stopped once it finished installing.

GTA 5 is an exception I know of, so install is up front and takes about 30 mins

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That works great so long as there not digital download. cause then youw ould have download them again.

500gb is not longer big enough hell 1tb-3tb ist being enough with the size games are these days. and the 5400rp drives they use are just as bad they need to start using 7200 rpm drives so the load times are as horrid as they are still,

:bang:

15. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I can't say i ever had an issue with space. Even with my PS3 which only had a 120GB hard drive, i don't remember ever running out of space. I also don't tend to keep a plethora of games on hand. I usually trade in the ones i haven't touched in a while towards new ones coming out. Pretty much the only ones that stay are the digital downloads. Same trend is happening with the PS4, though i DID upgrade the 500GB HDD to a 1TB SSHDD fairly early on. Helped a bit with performance.

tsunami: I'm pretty sure the main reasons for using 5400RPM drives instead of 7200 are a) lower cost... just like sticking to 500GB, b) less operational noise, and c) less potential heat. I mean hell... it's quite a bit more powerful than the PS3 was, crammed into a smaller package than even the PS3 Slim was. You could always install your own 7200RPM drive if you wanted to, or do what the vast majority are doing.... SSHDD.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well here is something interesting. Some user over at the GameFaqs forums did what exactly Nyko Data bank is supposed to do being able to use 3.5 HDD using an external hard drive caddy and a SATA 7pin male-female cable. He used a 6TB HDD and it worked with the PS4 and you will have 5.4 TB of usable space.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69429669

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

IF you sub to psn + and download every game for that said system every month the space will disapear quick, if you did 120gb would not be enough in less then 2 years my ps3 with 320gb drive became to small. that is from ps3 ps+ games alone forget about the 40+ disc base games i have that actual have installs too. and the 500gb on the ps4 will be gone in less time considering the size of ps4 games about 40gbs a pop.

ps4 is more powerfull yes but uses the same default slow ass hdd the ps3 uses and most laptops use.

IF ssd where actual cheaper per gb mean in could get 1 tb for like 150gb i would buy one them for both systems and have loading time worthy of such powerfull systems

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  18. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... never said anything about SSD. SSHDD. Hybrid drive. Does seem to help a bit with load times.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know what SSHDD those do nothing more then cache the most use files to the ssd, just like hhd cache said files to its onboard cache. yes there faster then hdd 7200rpm but not enough to warrant the extra price tag on them much like ssd.

If the extra price worth to others great , for me they are not.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    "Not enough to warrant the extra price tag"? Uuh.... have you looked at Amazon lately?

Current sale prices:

1TB HGST Travelstar 7200RPM 2.5" HDD = $72.99 (Originally $99.99)
    1TB Seagate SSHDD 2.5" = $81.99 (Originally $149.99)

Yes... the non-sale price is quite a jump... but it's not often things AREN'T on sale these days.... and a $9 bump is negligible.

I'd never pay to put a SSD in the PS4 though. PC is a different story. I'd just be concerned that the PS4 would be like the PS3.... a slight difference in speed, but nothing major due to it not being designed with SSD's in mind.